#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:14 AM

(ALSO any facts too ) Trying to learn about these cubs and I still have some un-answered questions. I Should be finally making the deal on a running, 105 with w-weights, hyd-lift and 3 pt. Thankx to Kenny and Chad for their advice thus far.

The fly in the ointment is that yesterday I found a non-running 107 with deck for about the same money- cranks only,(very slowly) but all the tinwork is unmolested and undented ( even decals are still in good shape ) Now to the questions: I know the only difference is the 105 ('67) had the small internal brake and the 107 ('69)had the large outboard discs at the rears.

Was the 105 weak stopping? or
Can they be swapped ?

Is there a way to know or determine how many tractors are made of a given model? From serial #s or is that info not known?

What is the charging AMPs these Delco-Remy SGs deliver.? Both of these have the stock K241 Kohler and I have another I pulled off the Mass12?

I have looked but can't seem to find these answers. Lastly, can someone hook me up with Lottery winner in Rhode Island because I can't afford BOTH is these jewels ?---Thankx Lee :bounce:

Edited by Toolpartzman, February 26, 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Rears can be swapped, just need the newer brake set up. Can be changed to two brake pedals for wheel brakes.
S/G should be a max of 14 amps out put.
I used to have something on the serial # breaks, not sure if it said how many were built though.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:17 AM

Lee, I know nothing about the Cubs, but I know we like pictures.

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:18 AM

The only way to change the brakes are to swap tranaxles. If you pull big loads I would go with the 107. The brakes will be better. I think these S/G are about the same but the Cub versions spin CCW because they are on the PTO end, the S/G on the Massey spins CW because it's on the flywheel end.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:22 AM

Lee, I know nothing about the Cubs, but I know we like pictures.

I agree,pictures,pictures,and more pictures. :smilewink:

#6 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Thanks guys , but you're gonna have to chew your nails about pictures. The 105 is 180 miles away from here. My brother is picking it up for me and he wasn't exactly thrilled about "picking up a "#$%% old rusty garden tractor" for me so unless I can sway him for some pics , its gonna be awhile before its back here at poverty knob.

#7 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Lee I will kindly disagree with the others on the brakes. HANDS DOWN you want the internal brake rearend! It's a no brainer once you've used both styles. The internal brake has much better stopping and holding power than an external brake rear does. In the case of a 105 versus a 107 the only place it will make a difference is in parking as there is no need to use the brakes for driving as the hydrostatic transmission acts as a brake itself as you slow down. On my 106 and my 107 the brake linings are good and they are adjusted properly and if I park either of them on even the slightest grade and lock the brake pedal down the tractor will roll every time. If I park my 100 or my 73 on the same grade and latch the brake pedal the tractors will stay and I can only push them down the hill with the wheels sliding. The reason their better is because they use a brake puck in the reduction housing on the lower transmission shaft. The external is on the rear axle at the wheel. The external has to work SOOOOOO much harder to do the same thing because the internal has the advantage of the gearing to assist it where the external does not. They are also way easier to adjust and maintain than the external.

In the quietline tractors (800,1000,1200,1250,1450,1650) and the 582,682,782 they actually went back to using the internal brake rears allthough some did squeak through with externals.

As for production numbers here is a link to a serial number breakdown.

http://www.cubcadetc...etail&df_id=238

The 105 I cannot find a build number for but the 107 had 10,846 tractors built.

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:24 PM

The brakes on my 129 work great and have never had any problems getting them to hold.

#9 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:09 PM

The brakes on my 129 work great and have never had any problems getting them to hold.

I think it's awesome that yours work good. Being an IH guy at heart I'm not saying they are worthless and I don't mean to offend you or anyone else. Just from my experience of owning several of both styles over the years the internal are just so much better than the external ones are. I've had some external in the past that would hold good but overall I have better luck with the internal.

#10 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:15 PM

After opening the other link I realized it was not the one I thought it was. The one I meant to link to is here. http://www.cubcadetc...etail&df_id=239

This is a month by month breakdown of the IH produced units.

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think it's awesome that yours work good. Being an IH guy at heart I'm not saying they are worthless and I don't mean to offend you or anyone else. Just from my experience of owning several of both styles over the years the internal are just so much better than the external ones are. I've had some external in the past that would hold good but overall I have better luck with the internal.

I have adjusted them up, I unhooked them and adjusted each one separately, it took some time to do right, I still have to adjust the Hydro linkage. Before it wouldn't hardly stop. I also removed the wheels and cleaned the brakes and rotors. The rotors do get rusty if they are driven in a lot of mud. I think that is most of the problem is rusty rotors.

I have never had a Cub with internal brakes, so I don't have anything to compare it with. But there are at least 3 different types of external brakes pads used.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Even with rusty rotors on my 108, the brakes do a fine job. Makes the old belly meet the steering wheel if I hit them too hard.

#13 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 07:08 AM

Monday AM update- Not looking good for the 105-PO is not returning my brother's phone calls. Its probably a good bet that in the week I had to wait, he has changed his mind. IDK. The 107 is the same $$ but not the bargain the 105 was-well we'll see.

#14 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'm kinda with Kenny on this, I haven't had any trouble with the external ones stopping or holding on my 108. Then too I've never had any trouble with the internal one one my old QL 1000 that I've had and raised four boys on since 1984 until the clutch gave out and we parked it last spring for repairs. Since all mine have been gear drives I'm wondering are there different types of external brakes with a hydrostat than on the gear drives?

#15 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Since all mine have been gear drives I'm wondering are there different types of external brakes with a hydrostat than on the gear drives?

No, the brake parts are the same regardless of hydro or gear drive.