• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:36 PM

Have a fun and safe trip with your dad. Hope you come home with some goodies. do you still have the nova?

Thanks. And No I Kept her for a long time then traded her for a 79 Z28. was just one of the many lol.

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:38 PM

A 12 gauge shot gun to my face in southern Ohio, outside Sinking Springs.....
Wrong time, wrong place, girl was smaller then the gun, 20's mabey with a baby in one arm, shotgun under the other with the buttstock under her armpit, face all red and purple from being beaten, half naked, and scared out of her mind.... was going to ask to buy a junker truck at the end of the driveway for parts but carefully backed off the frount steps and called the cops who already had been called a few min before me and a buyer drove up, week lator we found out her boyfriend was on leave from the army and beat her to death after he got out of jail high on meth.
I hope he is suffering in some hole.
Be carefull guys, i have never fully recovered from that encounter, leaves a hole in the heart, she was younger then me.

#18 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:39 PM

I don't know about all areas of the Country, but I don't like to be bothered at home. If I am outside, that's different. Most people expect to be waived to or said hello to where I come from.

Just approach someone friendly enough and take no for an answer on a cold call. Be prepared for other family with little or no knowledge to give input unsolicited. Usually, if it has sat around long enough, they want to get rid of it, they just don't know when. I would offer a fair, perhaps low price at first. An initial very low offer may offend on a cold call.

Good luck and just remember to be friendly. Remember too, someone was just as interested in that GT some time ago, and that's why it's there now.
  • redcarkids and chris m have said thanks

#19 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:42 PM

Not a horror story well maybe depending on how you look at it. This just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I have a 1 car garage and it is behind my house and has an alley way to get to it.There is also houses in this alley.I also have a shed that the doors face the alley.I had my 68 110 sitting behind my shed,which was not facing alley(so it couldn't be seen from the alley).I had just gotten it had carb pulled,Hood off to repair.I got it p.o. put a brand new seat on it,and also hubs and steering gear box.It didn't run when i got it.This guy rings my door bell,and asks if i want to sell it,I looked in my back yard and said how did you know it was there it can't be seen from the alley.He said i was looking at the gas grill in the neibors yard and saw it sitting there .I said not really but if price was right i would.He asked what the right price would be.I said at least $300.I didn't want to sell it.He said i ain't payin that for it most i'll give you is $50 i want it for scrap.He said it's missing pcs.I said no s*** im working on it.So needless to say i went out and put it in my garage.The nerve of that guy.Making that offer for a nice orig garden tractor.Now if it was a basket case that would be a different story.

IK some scrap guys are arrogant! I had my 95 Eldorado in the yard It needed a o-ring on a shift solenoid in the trans, anyway he asked if i would sell it. I said how much he said $50 I couldn't stop laughing even after he left, The car was mint! LOL

#20 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:45 PM

A 12 gauge shot gun to my face in southern Ohio, outside Sinking Springs.....
Wrong time, wrong place, girl was smaller then the gun, 20's mabey with a baby in one arm, shotgun under the other with the buttstock under her armpit, face all red and purple from being beaten, half naked, and scared out of her mind.... was going to ask to buy a junker truck at the end of the driveway for parts but carefully backed off the frount steps and called the cops who already had been called a few min before me and a buyer drove up, week lator we found out her boyfriend was on leave from the army and beat her to death after he got out of jail high on meth.
I hope he is suffering in some hole.
Be carefull guys, i have never fully recovered from that encounter, leaves a hole in the heart, she was younger then me.

Sorry can't think of a reply, my jaw is still on the floor. :o

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 12:00 AM

What can be said, it just happed and changed my life compleatly, im not trying to scare anyone, stuff like this does not happen all the time, just saying be carefull when aproching what seems to be a volatile environment, youthful ignorance or the feeling of being bullet proof can be deadly, as all the other guy said just be respectfull, carefull, gauge the person accordingly to determen a price and always have at least someone waiting in the car/truck just in case.

Edited by trowel, February 26, 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#22 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 12:03 AM

What can be said, it just happed and changed my life compleatly, im not trying to scare anyone, stuff like this does not happen all the time, just saying be carefull when aproching what seems to be a volatile environment, youthful ignorance or the feeling of being bullet proof can be deadly, as all the other guy said just be respectfull, carefull, gauge the person accordingly to determen a price and always have at least someone waiting in the car/truck just in case.

Can I return the Uhaul now? :o :huh: :unsure: :wacko: :blink:
  • trowel said thank you

#23 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 12:47 AM

Patience was my key. I saw my JD 110 sitting by a house here in town so I finally got up the nerve to stop in and ask if they ever wanted to part with it to let me know. Got a call a week later saying her family told her she should hang on to it. I put her # into my cell simply as "JD110" Over a YEAR later my phone rings while I'm mowing and the caller ID says "JD110!" An hour later I had a round fender front PTO in my trunk and I was airing up the tires on my trailer.

#24 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:55 AM

For me, every situation is different. I usually try to gauge the deal with a little detachment. I recently picked up an Ingersol 220 and the PO called me because he knew that I was a collector. I needed another project like I need an extra hole in my head, but it needed some fairly minor work and I got it at a good price by pointing out those things that I would have to fix. You can point out what you see as obvious flaws, but be careful because they might be emotionally attached to it and you come off as "calling their baby a piece of junk". I also try to attach a "value" to parts and and repairs that will be needed. "If it were perfect it would be worth $X, but I'll have $X in parts to get it there."
I generally let them make the first price as I don't want to insult. I'm also not afraid to walk away. If they ask for a counter offer, I'll be honest and give them the number I was thinking of. It's not usually my best number at first (the art of the haggle), but I try to be fair too.
If you run across someone who has several pieces that you may be interested in, be sure to be fair and honest "I know it's probably worth more, but this is where I'm comfortable." The last thing you want is for them to find out you seriously low balled them, it comes across as a con, and closes the door to future contact!
I have bought a few from people who I know are scrappers and that's actually a good opportunity to get some decent stuff cheap! All you have to do is beat the scrap price handily and they usually jump at it.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#25 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:24 AM

My dad was out mowing their yard a few years back.Their neihbor use to have a farm years back and he had a 67 110 that he had bought new.He asked my dad if he knew anybody that wanted to buy it.My dad told him that i might be interested in it.I called him and went to look at it.He said i don't know what it's worth make him an offer.I was looking it over and i thinking of offering him $300.He told me he thinks he wants a lot for it,and i thought well i'm not going to get it.I asked him what he was thinking.He said $300.I said sold thats what i was going to offer you.I still have that tractor in orig con bald tires and all.Last 3 years at the local fair i won 1st place for most orig garden tractor and get a check for $25.So that worked out nicely in the end.

#26 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:26 AM

Boy, that sounds like Craig (ckjakline) and I! LOL

Troy i was thinking the same thing.

#27 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 10:59 AM

Sorry can't think of a reply, my jaw is still on the floor. :o

Same here. Sorry to hear that.

#28 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Same here. Sorry to hear that.

Don't worry to much about it, we all go through a moment or two like this at least once in our life, i still stop in and inquire, just more minfull of the area and people, i have walked up and bought several ''lawn ornaments'' for a very good price but then again being a self-contractor, working in retail stores and my sighn being a scorpio im a natural when it comes to people, it is very good quality to have and you want the person to feel comfortable around you which may lead to more.
Just follow what the guys advices and you will be fine.

#29 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 12:18 PM

Probably the most important thing is to be fair on price. Letting them name the number first is best, but if they have no idea and you throw out a number, make it on the low side of fair and be willing to go up from there. People talk to each other though, and you don't want to get a reputation as the person who ripped off "Aunt Sally" because she didn't know what she had. If you get that kind of reputation, nobody will deal with you, especially in a small town.

I know a guy who got a fantastic deal on a mint Studebaker truck. In truth, he ripped the seller off because the seller trusted him. It cost him dearly over the next few years though, because word got around.
  • trowel said thank you

#30 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Depending on the situation when asked to make an offer I usually say "I can either sell it or buy it but I can't do both.".