49 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:29 PM

How bout everyone giving some advise on how to close a deal. We all know where the tractors are hiding, does anyone have any good advise on how to approach a potential customer, and sweet talk him or her down or out of thier junk? Where are you guys finding your tractors? The other day I went thru a small town and just started crusing the allies and looking behind peoples house to see if there were any tractors sitting. I spotted 4-5 possibilties but did not have the nerve to ask any questions. Whats your thoughts and any advise you might be willing to pass along.

#2 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:30 PM

go ask. worse comes to worse they shoot ya lol. jk jk most people are level headed.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:35 PM

For me, it depends on where it's local or on a trip. If it's a local Gt, I ussually wait for someone to be outside in the yard or garden. It makes it easier to approach them. If it is something I find on a trip, I just march right up to the door and ask them about whatever I spoted.

#4 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Do most all of you try to get a lower price? I do. If they ask "what will you give me for it" do you give them a price or do you say "no give me a idea what you want for it"? When I got the Bolens 900 in the avitar I got it from a friend for $100.00 with the tiller and deck. I knew i was getting a good deal so I did not try to jew him down. He also ask me what I would give for it. I told him to give me a price. Should you make the offer low if they ask this question? I have always been shy thinking I may insault them, so I let them give the first price.

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:52 PM

did u ever have to sell cheese door to door when u was a kid for the scouts or football or some sports something? Same thing, different product. Knock, smile, be nice, be direct, say thanks.....u might want to just ask if they got any old riding mowers or garden tractors or whatever that they might want to get rid of. Probably shouldn't say 'I saw this or that out behind ur house' then they might think u r snooping.

If it is sitting on the front porch then u can mention it, but if it is a porch ornament they might be getting ready to put it on Craigs. for a "it is really rare". asking price
. :bigrofl:

I do agree with Texas Deere and Horse, about waiting to see them outside first.

Everybody is different. u gotta do what works best for u.

Edited by JBBR, February 25, 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Worst they can say is no. same thing I just stop, knock and ask. I got a 1970 SS nova for free that way! I asked the little old lady how much do you want for that old car in your yard? she said oh you want that? you can have it! I towed it out of there with a chain right then and there LOL.

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:02 PM

thats good advise. thanks, anyone got any horror stories after stopping at a strange house asking about something for sale?

#8 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Worst they can say is no. same thing I just stop, knock and ask. I got a 1970 SS nova for free that way! I asked the little old lady how much do you want for that old car in your yard? she said oh you want that? you can have it! I towed it out of there with a chain right then and there LOL.

you must be related to doc bolens :thumbs: he seems to get things for free also.

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Well I have been lucky so far. no horror stories yet. Will test it out tomorrow, I rented a uhaul truck to go get 2 GT's up in CT. Nice old area so I'll be checking while i'm up there. Bringing my dad so he can scout while I drive LOL. :laughingteeth:

#10 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:18 PM

Have a fun and safe trip with your dad. Hope you come home with some goodies. do you still have the nova?
  • chris m said thank you

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:28 PM

I prefer for people to give me a price first. If they really think they have something and you throw out a number that's WAY lower than they think is exceptable they may just shrug you off completely and say their not interested in selling it. I have a customer at work that knows I am into Cubs and he asked me several years ago if I knew where he could get an engine for his 100 he had. I gave him some ideas and that was the end of it. Last year about middle of the summer he asked me if I was interested in buying it. He wanted me to give him a number and I said "No, what do you want for it" His answer was $200. I just couldn't swing the extra 200 bucks at the time with some other big bills and I told him I was interested and would be back to him. In the meantime someone else found out about it and bought it for the $250. I could just pull my hair out over that one as it had optional fenders, IH weights, a 3pt hitch, and Hydraulic lift on it. About $700 worth of optional parts that I missed out on. I say when the oppurtunity is there don't be afraid to take a chance and ask or you might loose out to someone else.
  • motobreeder and chris m have said thanks

#12 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:47 PM

Not a horror story well maybe depending on how you look at it. This just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I have a 1 car garage and it is behind my house and has an alley way to get to it.There is also houses in this alley.I also have a shed that the doors face the alley.I had my 68 110 sitting behind my shed,which was not facing alley(so it couldn't be seen from the alley).I had just gotten it had carb pulled,Hood off to repair.I got it p.o. put a brand new seat on it,and also hubs and steering gear box.It didn't run when i got it.This guy rings my door bell,and asks if i want to sell it,I looked in my back yard and said how did you know it was there it can't be seen from the alley.He said i was looking at the gas grill in the neibors yard and saw it sitting there .I said not really but if price was right i would.He asked what the right price would be.I said at least $300.I didn't want to sell it.He said i ain't payin that for it most i'll give you is $50 i want it for scrap.He said it's missing pcs.I said no s*** im working on it.So needless to say i went out and put it in my garage.The nerve of that guy.Making that offer for a nice orig garden tractor.Now if it was a basket case that would be a different story.

#13 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:59 PM

I think i will stick to having the person give me a price first then. I have always felt more comfortable this way. I have never had a issue with coming back with a lower offer. I figure if the guy is giving you a price on the spot he is going to be thinking of himself and how much he can make off of me and is probably high anyhow figuring your going to make a counter offer.
When the guy counter offered you a price for $50.00 he should have disclosed he was a scrapper not a collector. i could seee why it would make you mad.

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:29 PM

I remember driving past a house for years, where the owner used a John Deere 140 to cut the grass every week. One day I finally worked up enough nerve, to stop and ask them, if they would give me first chance at it, if the decided they would want to sell it. They asked me for my phone number, but told me that they really liked the tractor, and wasn't planning on selling it anytime soon.

Well, after about three weeks later, of me giving them one of my cards, I was headed home from work, when I saw the grandson looking under the tractor, while it was sitting in the middle of the yard. I turned around and went back, to offer some assistance, and he told me the tractor just up and quit. The motor and mower still runs, but the tractor stopped going forward. I jokingly stated, it's time for a new one, and reassured him, that I was still interested in buying the tracto. Little did I know, he would tell his grandmother, and end up taking me serious. After a couple of hours, I got a phone call from the grandson's dad, stating that the tractor is now located at an area repair shop, and since it will cost more money to fix it, then what the tractor is worth, they would be willing to sell it. Make an offer. I told the gentleman, that since I don't know what is wrong with the tractor, and if I can still find parts, I couldn't give more than $200.00. Long story short, the tractor is now sitting in my shed. The problem, a stripped key stock on the left rear axle. Basically, a $.50 fix. Turns out, the repair shop was wanting the tractor too, and was going to charge them $700.00 for repairs, hoping the son would just say, keep it, it's not worth fixing.

If people aren't out, I won't stop. If they are out, then you better believe, I will turn around on a dime. I'm not afraid to make an offer. If it's a tractor that I really want, and the tractor is complete and in good shape, I'll make an offer that will hopefully be appealing to the owner, and get them thinking about letting the tractor go. Don't be afraid to tell them that you are a collector, and that you are looking to restore this tractor. That it will be well taken care of, and when you are finished restoring it, you'll send them a picture of it. Especially if the tractor has sentimental value to the owner. It make for a nice gesture, and says a lot of you, the buyer.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:32 PM

How bout everyone giving some advise on how to close a deal. We all know where the tractors are hiding, does anyone have any good advise on how to approach a potential customer, and sweet talk him or her down or out of thier junk? Where are you guys finding your tractors? The other day I went thru a small town and just started crusing the allies and looking behind peoples house to see if there were any tractors sitting. I spotted 4-5 possibilties but did not have the nerve to ask any questions. Whats your thoughts and any advise you might be willing to pass along.

Boy, that sounds like Craig (ckjakline) and I! LOL