#16 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hey Alan, stop a minute and take a look at what dual boot and a VM machine actually mean.
I knew Bill would come in and his question is VM or reinstall W. This what you need to look at. I would love for you to work with Ubuntu and had win on a VM to take care of your printer issues. After you work with a Linux OS for a bit I think you will be converted to a little black Penquin with a yellow beak. :bounce:
I would like you to try running window in a VM on Ubuntu.
This I believe will be your best bet and the simplest work around.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Whew. I have an XP Machine again.

I do believe there is value to the non M$ software, but that printer issue was kicking my butt. I'm pretty dogged about stuff like that, but after 3 nights of my wife saying "Are you coming to bed, or are you staying up all night with that thing?", it was getting old.

I know it's not the OS's fault, it's my stupid printer. The lure of cheap ink & a shortsighted company did me in. LOL

I have another old PC with dead hard drives in it. The kid who had it was a big gamer & he gamed it to death... Might be a candidate?

Oh, and only 138 updates to go...

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:19 PM

Those updates will take a day in it's self to install especially with all those reboots a ula's. Another way around your issue is to take that old pc put a cheap hd in it (I even have a couple of small ones laying around I can send you) put windows on the computer and make it the print server. Make the tcp/ip static and then give your Linux computers the address in the printer section to connect. Don't worry about security because it will just be a non-user computer.

Yes my wife has said the same thing to me and it has usually been a windows PC.

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:27 AM

I have Ubuntu,and I like it.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:25 AM

I have Ubuntu,and I like it.

Do you have any other computers networked to it? Did you set it up yourself, or did someone help. There are a couple of guys local to me that do house calls. If the XP disc hadn't loaded, I was calling someone. That printer had me flummoxed.

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 02:11 PM

I think you should practice with the older computer, get a small cheap hard drive and put in it. Then install Linux and then setup a virtual machine to install windows on. The virtual machine would only need minimal specs considering it is only going to be a print server. If you are able to get everything setup with the old computer then you can do it with any of the other ones. Makes for good practice. Also leaning terminal commands is a good starting point also.

#22 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:13 PM

When you were trying to get Ubuntu to talk to a windows machine did you have Samba installed on the Linux machine? Windows and Linux will not talk to each other with out it and you can't share printing either. I have 3 Linux machines that connect to a windows 7 machine to print and share's files but each of the Linux has Samba installed.

George is right take that old PC and install Ubuntu and play around with it.

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:26 PM

When you were trying to get Ubuntu to talk to a windows machine did you have Samba installed on the Linux machine?

Yes, I did. The biggest problem I had was getting the file protection turned off. I did the whole sudo chmod stuff & it still gave me attitude over saving the changed smb.conf file. I think I will get that other machine out in a week or two & see what is what.

#24 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:30 PM

You just need to type in sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf make your changes and then save it. Do be aware there are other smb.conf files on the system. I'm not sure why they are there but the one in /etc/samba is the one you need to modify. If I'm not mistaken you should have also had an entry in you menu under system->Administration->Samba and you can make your modifications that way as well. Some of the down stream distro's from Ubuntu have a control center that is like the windows one and it make's it easier for folks coming from the windows environment.
  • MH81 said thank you

#25 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 10:18 PM

George is right take that old PC and install Ubuntu and play around with it.

This would be may advise as well. Linus is easier then you think.

#26 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 05:51 AM

Yes,I like Linux,and have had no problem adapting to it.And that says a lot coming from me.

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 08:13 AM

The one distro that may be easier then Ubuntu for a media type desktop environment would be Linux Mint. It has been a while since i had a Linux desktop which will soon change but when I was using Linux a lot I was using Debian straight up. I liked compiling new kernels and running as streamlined as possible. It is also nice to know how to get around with just terminal in case you ever crash x-server :D

#28 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 10:08 AM

The one distro that may be easier then Ubuntu for a media type desktop environment would be Linux Mint. It has been a while since i had a Linux desktop which will soon change but when I was using Linux a lot I was using Debian straight up. I liked compiling new kernels and running as streamlined as possible. It is also nice to know how to get around with just terminal in case you ever crash x-server :D

Mint is very good, it has several different flavors to choose from. One of them being a version built directly from Debian which you may like George. Another option is Zorn which I favor for those just coming from the Windows world. They have what they call the look changer which will configure the desktop to look like XP, Windows 7 or the Linux Gnome in the free version and in the premium versions in addition is OS X, Windows Vista. Windows 2000. The one I'm interested in seeing how it develops is Mageia which is a folk off Mandrivia which is financials trouble again. Many of the developers who were laid off by Mandrivia are now with the Mageia project.

I'm one of the worse when it comes to command line, not that I'm afraid to use it, I'm just lazy. :) but you are right George the command line can really save you when the x-server goes down although I haven't experienced problems with it in quite some time.

Edited by HDWildBill, February 27, 2012 - 10:11 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ubuntu, operating system