Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Got Pelted With Hail While Chopping Wood Yesterday...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Was out chopping (chainsawing?!?!?) firewood yesterday afternoon in the woods. Because of the briars and underbrush (and the ticks...) on some of our property, I usually harvest firewood in the winter when the vegitation is down. Putting up wood for next year so it has plenty of time to season.

Anyway, with the front coming through, it was real windy all day, and the temperature was starting to drop (low 40's). Was looking forward to getting inside and relaxing after this last load.

I start to hear a rattling (like rain on the leaves), when pea size hail starts raining down on me! Not big enough to do any damage, but it sure surprised me! With about a 10 minute ride to shelter (and the tractor was all loaded so it would be a slow ride...) there was nothing to do but sit and enjoy the show!

Sure glad it wasn't bigger pellets!

Today is cold,so no work outside today, but gotta fire up the splitter tomorrow and get all this split and stacked... Just another day in the country.....

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thankfully I was driving when that came thru instead of standing outside. I was driving from Pittsburgh to Meaville and we drove thru it 3 different times. It was kinda weird to go from sun to that and back to sun in a mile or two.

On the downside, I was driving our large snub nose Izuzu Box truck. Box is only 16' long, but that's a pretty big mainsail at 65mph. I never changed lanes or crossed the lines because of it, but had to slow down and tack into the wind endlessly.

Took 10 minutes to get my hands off the wheel once we got back :laughingteeth:

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:13 AM

We didn't get the hail yesterday, just the severe wind and some smallish "wannabe hail" (compacted little snow balls). Pea size can be painful too, especially coupled with the wind!

...I was driving our large snub nose Izuzu Box truck. Box is only 16' long, but that's a pretty big mainsail at 65mph. I never changed lanes or crossed the lines because of it, but had to slow down and tack into the wind endlessly.
Took 10 minutes to get my hands off the wheel once we got back :laughingteeth:

That's the worst kind of windshield time! Reminds me of my trip to Dayton in January! Glad that you made it back safely!

#4 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Glad for your sake the hail wasn't any bigger. Been in kinda the same situation. Caught out walking on a mountain ridge once with hail the same size and was praying it wouldn't get any worse. Nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

#5 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:49 AM

... Just another day in the country.....

I can't think of any place I'd rather be either. I try to get there as often as possible.

#6 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:44 AM

This sure has been some strange weather in north Alabama this year. Thursday it was 79 F and this morning it was 30 F.

#7 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:58 AM

This sure has been some strange weather in north Alabama this year. Thursday it was 79 F and this morning it was 30 F.

that sounds a lot like normal missouri weather.....

Edited by JBBR, February 25, 2012 - 11:59 AM.