• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 11:30 AM

For me the paint depends on what colors are available, I like to use high temp primer and high temp engine paint. If they don't have the color I just use what ever paint I am using to paint the machine, If you use reg paint it does discolor a bit around the exhaust but not bad.Just try and find a paint that resists gas and oil. :smilewink:
  • caseguy and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#18 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm really pleased as to how they turn out. The whole motor, coil and carb, was all green originally, but to me thats just dull. Anyway, since aluminum is basically silver, and because John Deere used red on some of the implements, I figured I'd do a trial and error effort, and see what happens. Turns out that the red, green, and silver color schemes, really blend together well.

Now, let's see if I can answer your questions. Hopefully I don't miss any.

The muffler is a standard can type Nelson muffler, which is considered the replacement muffler for the original round fender muffler. This same Nelson muffler was used on the Allis Chalmers B-10 and B-12, with the only difference being, the exaust hole is located on the side of the can, rather than on the end of the can like mine. The threads are standard on the HH100 tecumseh motors, so if you are looking to go with this type of muffler, it will work. I can get you a part number if interested. I think they're still available from Deere.

As for painting the motor, I use two coats of High Temperature primer first, then apply the John Deere finish coat. I like to let the primer cure at least a week before spraying the finish coat. This will set your mind at ease for good bonding. Rushing the finish coat before the primer has had a chance to fully cure, with diffinately cause for flaking, after running the motor a few times. The only discoloration I get, is very little around the exhaust hole, since this seems to be the hotest part of the motor.

As for painting the muffler, I strip it completely, down to the bare metal, and paint it only with High Temperature gloss black paint. I do not use primer, just finish paint, again letting each coat cure at least a week. I usually apply four coats of paint, wet sanding between coats, and install the muffler without any lok-tite or pipe thread tape. I also only tighten the muffler hand tight, just in case I ever need to replace it or repaint it.

Notice, none of my gasket are painted. I hate seeing painted gaskets! I hate seeing nice painted wheels with overspray all over the tires too, but that's another story. Take your time, and think ahead. To me, there is no excuse for painted gaskets and tires, unless of course, you are planning on replacing them after everything is done. I realize there are times when you have to paint a gasket or two, say when painting a transmission that didn't need to be taken apart, or an oil pan gasket on a motor, that didn't need rebuilt, but these are items, that in most cases won't be seen. I see guys spent so much time and money on a great restoration, and it really turns out nice, but as soon as I see a painted gasket, tire, electricals, or serial tag, I just think to myself, WHY?

The head and carb are painted. I have searched for years, trying to find a good silver paint, that won't give a polished aluminum look, or almost a chrome finished look when done, and finally when I find what I'm looking for, it becomes harder and harder to locate. The two paints that I think look the best are Testors Silver Model Paint, and John Deere Silver Mower Deck paint, used for the self propelled mowers. I go to hoppy shops for the Testors Paint, and in most cases, it isn't in stock. The John Deere silver isn't a fast moving item, so most dealerships have stopped stocking it. So needless to say, when I do find it, I buy as many cans of it as I can. Although the carb and head would probably look really good all polished up, I elected to not go that route, only because it wasn't like that from the factory. I know my color schemes aren't factory either, but painting is all in the eyes of the owner. We can paint everything how we want it, and to me, I want people to notice my tractors, and not just the detail of a polished carb and head.

I never paint any of my electricals either. The coil, celenoid, wiring, ignition switch, voltage regulator, etc. never get painted. I try and replace everything with new when I do my restorations, and all these items get installed on the tractor, in their natural colors. Again, just my own personal preference. Same goes for nuts, bolts and washers. I replace all hardware with new, and do my very best not to paint over them. I think tractors look sharp with all new hardware. Again, my preference, and not trying to cause hard feelings toward guys who paint these items.

Sometime I'll have to post a picture of one of my transmissions. I put as much detail into a transmission as I do with my motors. They consist of a three color scheme like the motors as well, and turn out very nice.

I like the motors that have been posted so far, and I hope there will be more to come. I wasn't trying to brag about my motors on this thread, I was just wanting to give guys the opportunity to post pictures of their motors, give different painting techniques and ideas, so that hopefully some of the newer members, or guys just getting into collecting, have some methods and ideas to maybe apply to their new investment. Thanks for the posts so far, and keep them coming!
  • josh deaven, tinner, JDBrian and 3 others have said thanks

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 01:15 PM

Some outstanding ideas and arguments for detailing. lots of good ideas. I hope this thread keeps going.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#20 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm really pleased as to how they turn out. The whole motor, coil and carb, was all green originally, but to me thats just dull. Anyway, since aluminum is basically silver, and because John Deere used red on some of the implements, I figured I'd do a trial and error effort, and see what happens. Turns out that the red, green, and silver color schemes, really blend together well.

Now, let's see if I can answer your questions. Hopefully I don't miss any.

The muffler is a standard can type Nelson muffler, which is considered the replacement muffler for the original round fender muffler. This same Nelson muffler was used on the Allis Chalmers B-10 and B-12, with the only difference being, the exaust hole is located on the side of the can, rather than on the end of the can like mine. The threads are standard on the HH100 tecumseh motors, so if you are looking to go with this type of muffler, it will work. I can get you a part number if interested. I think they're still available from Deere.

As for painting the motor, I use two coats of High Temperature primer first, then apply the John Deere finish coat. I like to let the primer cure at least a week before spraying the finish coat. This will set your mind at ease for good bonding. Rushing the finish coat before the primer has had a chance to fully cure, with diffinately cause for flaking, after running the motor a few times. The only discoloration I get, is very little around the exhaust hole, since this seems to be the hotest part of the motor.

As for painting the muffler, I strip it completely, down to the bare metal, and paint it only with High Temperature gloss black paint. I do not use primer, just finish paint, again letting each coat cure at least a week. I usually apply four coats of paint, wet sanding between coats, and install the muffler without any lok-tite or pipe thread tape. I also only tighten the muffler hand tight, just in case I ever need to replace it or repaint it.

Notice, none of my gasket are painted. I hate seeing painted gaskets! I hate seeing nice painted wheels with overspray all over the tires too, but that's another story. Take your time, and think ahead. To me, there is no excuse for painted gaskets and tires, unless of course, you are planning on replacing them after everything is done. I realize there are times when you have to paint a gasket or two, say when painting a transmission that didn't need to be taken apart, or an oil pan gasket on a motor, that didn't need rebuilt, but these are items, that in most cases won't be seen. I see guys spent so much time and money on a great restoration, and it really turns out nice, but as soon as I see a painted gasket, tire, electricals, or serial tag, I just think to myself, WHY?

The head and carb are painted. I have searched for years, trying to find a good silver paint, that won't give a polished aluminum look, or almost a chrome finished look when done, and finally when I find what I'm looking for, it becomes harder and harder to locate. The two paints that I think look the best are Testors Silver Model Paint, and John Deere Silver Mower Deck paint, used for the self propelled mowers. I go to hoppy shops for the Testors Paint, and in most cases, it isn't in stock. The John Deere silver isn't a fast moving item, so most dealerships have stopped stocking it. So needless to say, when I do find it, I buy as many cans of it as I can. Although the carb and head would probably look really good all polished up, I elected to not go that route, only because it wasn't like that from the factory. I know my color schemes aren't factory either, but painting is all in the eyes of the owner. We can paint everything how we want it, and to me, I want people to notice my tractors, and not just the detail of a polished carb and head.

I never paint any of my electricals either. The coil, celenoid, wiring, ignition switch, voltage regulator, etc. never get painted. I try and replace everything with new when I do my restorations, and all these items get installed on the tractor, in their natural colors. Again, just my own personal preference. Same goes for nuts, bolts and washers. I replace all hardware with new, and do my very best not to paint over them. I think tractors look sharp with all new hardware. Again, my preference, and not trying to cause hard feelings toward guys who paint these items.

Sometime I'll have to post a picture of one of my transmissions. I put as much detail into a transmission as I do with my motors. They consist of a three color scheme like the motors as well, and turn out very nice.

I like the motors that have been posted so far, and I hope there will be more to come. I wasn't trying to brag about my motors on this thread, I was just wanting to give guys the opportunity to post pictures of their motors, give different painting techniques and ideas, so that hopefully some of the newer members, or guys just getting into collecting, have some methods and ideas to maybe apply to their new investment. Thanks for the posts so far, and keep them coming!

That is funny, you sound just like me! I love to see a gasket between things and not have paint on it, also I don't like painted wires, Every little thing you do to add detail to something you restore makes a huge difference in the final results, and it is so worth the little extra time you spend doing it! It really makes things (pop) stand out! :thumbs:
  • josh deaven and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 01:33 PM

I was just curious to see if anybody else details their engines? I know most guys want their motors to look just as original as possible, but does it really hurt to detail them a little? Here is one of my motors that I detailed, and since it turned out rather nice, I've been doing them all the same way.

Man, I gotta say, that RED sure does make that green machine look better! :dancingbanana: Seriously though, that engine looks very nice!

#22 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 02:26 PM

nice work Troy you are my hero! Haha

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info. on your restoration and painting techniques Troy. The primer thing is something I was wondering about. When I was fixing up (not restoring) my 314 I used a high temp. paint on the engine covers. It specifically said do not use a primer on the can. The paint is fragile and scratches very easily. I want to avoid that in the future. Thanks again for the benefit of your experience!

#24 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the details Troy! I have yet to detail an engine, but when I do, your info will come in very handy. I do tend to try and keep things as original as I can though, so if the hardware was painted when new, that's likely what it will get on the finished product. If I were to do a custom job (which I plan to do in the future) then it's anything goes. Thanks again for the tips and tricks that you've shared!

#25 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Troy that looks great! Everybody else did a good job on there engine as well! All the engines in my restored tractors are painted, fins included with the same paint that was used on the rest of the tractor and no problems yet.

#26 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:33 AM

Good looking engine Troy and a very interesting thread. Thanks for starting it. :thumbs:

I would be grateful also if you would post the part number for the Nelson can muffler that you mentioned. The Nelson can used on the early Allis-Chalmers and Simplicity tractors is NLA unless a dealer just happens to have one left on his shelf, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Edited by achomesteader, February 26, 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#27 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:15 AM

Hey fellas,good looking engines.

#28 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Greg,

I'll see if I can get you the part number for the muffler. Something tells me though, that John Deere changed the muffler design again, but I'll double check. Sometimes you can find good used mufflers on ebay. I think it cost me around $25.00 for my last one, which is still cheaper than buying one new from Deere.

I'll be in touch!
  • achomesteader said thank you

#29 terry2 OFFLINE  

terry2

• Member No: 7357
  • 2 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:56 PM

I was just curious to see if anybody else details their engines? I know most guys want their motors to look just as original as possible, but does it really hurt to detail them a little? Here is one of my motors that I detailed, and since it turned out rather nice, I've been doing them all the same way.

Before shots of the HH100 10hp. Tecumseh

After shots of the same motor

Let's see how all of you guys paint or detail your motors. I think it would be need to see how many different schemes and ideas are out there.

hey the s s 12 that i contacted you about sometime ago , we detailed it and i think it is the only way to go it sure makes the package look a lot better. we are now putting on starter/generator and doing wiring will post picture when i get it done, and learn how to post a picture

#30 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Man you guys do such good work. If can keep one running it is good, Do love reading the post.