Garden Tractor Forums banner

Got A New Toy Today

5K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
My friend Steve has been wanting to make something to go faster than a tractor and I had a chance to pick this up today for $10. Needs a few things, including a motor. Plan to stretch the frame about 6" for us taller folk.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Product

Also looking to put a live axle under it. Should be a fun toy.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Toolpartzman
#4 ·
Just don't go getting that thing wrapped around you in the quest for more speed. Good luck on the modifications.

Great buy for ten dollars too.

Reactions: KennyP
#7 ·
You are correct, Daniel. I need to pull these and see if they have keyways.

#9 ·
They shouldn't have keyways, as it's not a live-axle drive, just the left rear wheel does the pulling. That side rim should have a way to colt a sprocket to the inside. Looks like some rims pulled off a riding mower have been put on it.

#10 ·
That's right, Daniel. And if they have key ways, great. I plan to go live axle with this.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good start for the project- most go kart frames go for alot more money - should be easy to modify how you want it .
Id always wanted one over the years , my freind had one up in his barn loft , but couldnt sell it because it was his daughters. Finished ones were always so expensive.

A project i started but is on hold ( due to no time and other projects) is making a 80's MTD wizard into a 'go kart' since i like tractors, had this one lying around - i was like "Why not?" - planned on lowering it ( 4" ride height), using 6" rims, custom spindles , straight 1" rear axle and a horizontal 6.5HP motor - with go kart clutch and chain drive and a disc brake setup. I planned on beefing up the chassis for an eventual twin cyclender motor up grade. Its just to buzz around with when its done.

Heres what it looked like- its all stripped down at the moment :
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

I got it free with a bad motor and no deck years ago , id planned on doing something with it eventually and the go kart idea hit me - being small it should run around pretty good.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been pricing the live axle set-up. That ain't cheap.
Daniel, I want to know if the wheels have key ways for the live axle. I'm sure the axle stubs won't have them.
Brian, This is just a toy! I would like to do it right, but not a lot of expense if possible. (Doubtful, tho). Might make it good enough to sell and put the money back into the tractors. Just play a bit first.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
KennyP : I bot my stuff from Northerntools - it wasnt exactally cheep, but theres an outlet store nearby - the straight axle was like $40 to $50 ( depending on length) - they had a differential type axle setup that ran over $100: http://www.northernt...uct_35768_35768

A cheeper alternative would be look for a RER tractor or small tractor with a live axle setup - i have a 70 toro with one under it .

I bot a bunch of pillow block berings for some of my projects also from there - those are strong and greaseable high speed berings.

Check for go kart parts places for the axle - sometimes they can sell stuff cheeper.

#20 ·
Found several places, depends on a few things. Don't have an engine yet, so not in a rush. But I do appreciate the comments.

#23 ·
Hadn't messed with this thread for a while, but Steve and Jarrod came back from moving more things into the shop today with this:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

I think between the two, we can have a running kart. This has a 5 HP Tecumseh OHV engine and all the parts we are missing for the other. The frame is bent on this one. Just a little majic and some TLC should have us goofing off in a hurry.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been playing with this a bit. Got the engine running, it sounds real good. It's an OHH-50 Tecumseh. Found a manual here for it.
I also stretched the frame 6". Gave up on the live axle, too expensive. I reworked the rear axle for the single drive wheel, had to move the motor mount up to allow movement for the seat sliders.
Haven't taken pics, maybe today. Have to get a new chain, the old one is way too stiff. I will also have to rework the brake setup. I either need to get tubes or new rear tires. But it's coming along.

Reactions: trowel
#26 ·
I'm a bit past 50, trowel. More like 64! But still a kid at heart.

Reactions: trowel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.