• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• Member No: 3502
  • 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 04:58 PM

I have started to disassemble a 1958 ride a matic, started with the motor. I had one stud break off in the block removing the head and both of the bolts to the muffler in the block. How does one get them out now?

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 05:01 PM

How much of the bolt is sticking out?
A picture would help, so everyone can see what we are dealing with

#3 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 05:20 PM

ok i attache a few pictures. you can see its in rough shape, must have sat outside for a long time. The space between the muffler and block was nothing but rust, so the block area where the muffler gasket would go is very rough. I am thinking i may have to use an disc sander and clean it up.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0528.JPG
  • IMG_0527.JPG
  • IMG_0529.JPG

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,594 Thanks
  • 15,426 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 05:53 PM

If you have a wire welder, you can weld a flat washer on the top of the stud.On the block, use a washer with a smaller dia. hole the the stud, then weld a nut to the washer. This is going to give you something to get hold of to turn the stud out. Also by welding to the stud, you are putting some heat in the bolt and that will help break the rust free. As the nut is cooling off, gently tap on the top of the nut with a hammer, again this will aid in freeing the rust in the threads. I hope this helps.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,594 Thanks
  • 15,426 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 05:54 PM

You can also do this with a stick (Arc) welder, it's just harder to do it that way.

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,822 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Yes, clean up the exhaust port and run a tap to clean the threads, and :ditto: to what he said, and don't forget to cover the bore and valves with a wet cloth,

#7 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:03 PM

you can drill and then try to use an ez-out. but since they can break id recommend drilling and tapping.

#8 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:19 PM

i think i will have to drill because they are all broken flush or below the block. I have never done this before so i don't want to make it worse. Just not sure how to go about it.

#9 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:27 PM

ok go get a set of cobalt bits. there extremely hard and drill through anything just about. start small and punch a starting point in the center so the bit doesnt walk and start at 1/16th and work your way up.

#10 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:28 PM

o and USE LUBRICANT. silicone, wd-40, kroil, even motor oil. ive seen some people bit there bit in engine oil and they say that works very well. if you snap a bit you'll be sorry.

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,822 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Th block is iron, harder then the softer steel bolt, be glad it's not aluminum :wallbanging: it also helps to heat the iron around the bolt then center punch the sheared bolt several time but not so hard as to flair out the bolt pressing it against the iron block, just tapping it hard repeatedly, use the other head bolts as a guild, drill out the sheared bolt untill you reach the threads then use a tap (7/16 i think for head bolts) to clean out the rest of the old threads, a spiral tap works great and cleans really well but is expensive, well worth the money in the long run i think.

#12 Magnus25 OFFLINE  

Magnus25
  • Member No: 8686
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 10:30 PM

hey how much do you want for those front wheel weights? :D just kidding! very nice!

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,299 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 12:44 AM

Sounds like the guys got you covered. It might be in rusty shape but it looks like it will be a good candidate with a little elbow grease. Biggest thing is to be patient and don't get frustrated. If you have to just walk away for a little bit. I have to tell myself that sometimes too LOL.

You have that thing stashed away in a warehouse or what?

#14 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,316 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 01:49 AM

Sounds like the guys got you covered. It might be in rusty shape but it looks like it will be a good candidate with a little elbow grease. Biggest thing is to be patient and don't get frustrated. If you have to just walk away for a little bit. I have to tell myself that sometimes too LOL.

You have that thing stashed away in a warehouse or what?

LOL I was going to ask too! (I think he has it hidden behind pallets at his place of work) LOL :smilewink:

#15 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 07:50 AM

Yes it is at work, the 58 is in the garage next to my boss's 79 GMC step side. I also have a 59 and a parts 60 outside under the shed roof.