• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Farmette47456 OFFLINE  

Farmette47456

• Member No: 8003
  • 5 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I recently acquired this little beauty as my first garden tractor. The steering and transmission were both locked up. I have since freed up the steering pinion gears and gotten the input shaft on the transmission to turn. The internals won't yet slide so it is stuck in one of the forward gears. The tranny was full of water and "gunk". It is now soaking in fresh 30W waiting on more time from me. Any of you know if this is a Farmette or a Lambert? How about the model number? The person I bought it from said it was a Farmette, but he wasn't absolutely sure. I do like the lines on this machine and look forward to the day when it is "restored".

Attached Thumbnails

• farmette1.jpg
  • farmette2.jpg

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 03:57 PM

Farmette47456,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
Sorry,I can't answer your question,but I'm sure some one will be along who can.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 04:26 PM

:wave: Farmette47456 Welcome to GTTalk! It's great to have you here with us!
I think what you have there is a Lambert. I took some pics of one at a show last year. Here is a link to one of the pics. Here is another angle. Here is a detail shot of the chain drive. Here's a wide angle shot from the same side. There are a few more pics in the gallery of it also.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 04:49 PM

Welcome to the Site! I dont have anything helpful, just wanted to welcome you!

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, Glad you joined us. I think caseguy has you on the right track. Again, Welcome to GTtalk.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Welcome Farmette47456. Glad you are here.

#7 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 06:42 AM

:welcometogttalk: Glad to have you with us!

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:13 AM

:welcometogttalk:

Nice looking GT you have there. It seems that Lambert and Farmette were related or one bought out the other at some point. Both Google search and searches here have alluded to this.

Here is another pic of a members lambert with a different badging on it.

Posted Image

If you look thru the great manuals in the Farmette area, you will see an almost identical looking tractor.
http://gardentractor.../152-farm-ette/

Can you tell the original color?
  • caseguy said thank you

#9 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• Member No: 6598
  • 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 05:43 PM

I recently acquired this little beauty as my first garden tractor. The steering and transmission were both locked up. I have since freed up the steering pinion gears and gotten the input shaft on the transmission to turn. The internals won't yet slide so it is stuck in one of the forward gears. The tranny was full of water and "gunk". It is now soaking in fresh 30W waiting on more time from me. Any of you know if this is a Farmette or a Lambert? How about the model number? The person I bought it from said it was a Farmette, but he wasn't absolutely sure. I do like the lines on this machine and look forward to the day when it is "restored".

I believe your tractor is a Farm-ette. The Lamberts used a white 2 spoke steering wheel while Farm-ette used a 3 spoke Black wheel. Without the engine it is hard to say what model it is. If you can measure the wheelbase it may tell you a little more. The photos are very small. Can't tell if it has the T92 3 speed Tranny,
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#10 Farmette47456 OFFLINE  

Farmette47456

• 5 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 02:30 PM

It does have the T92 3 speed. However, as of right now it is just a 1 speed!

#11 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 03:02 PM

It does have the T92 3 speed. However, as of right now it is just a 1 speed!

You should be able to free it up. It is pretty common for them to be found in that condition. I would soak it for quite a while and flush it out with Kerosene or Diesel. Keep working those gears. You can give the gears a gentle tap with a block of wood and see if you can get them to move forward.
If you free it up just add 90wt and don't over fill it. :)

#12 Farmette47456 OFFLINE  

Farmette47456

• 5 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 02:22 PM

The mystery has been solved, or I'm done researching and thinking about it. I'm calling this tractor a 1964 Lambert 655. This is the year the company changed hands and I believe this explains the black steering wheel. I also happen to be a 1964 model! I've made some progress on the project but cold weather is going to sloooooow me until spring. The holes in the hood are repaired, the transmission is disassembled, and I bought a 8HP Tecumseh for it at the Portland, IN show. I also bought her some new shoes at Portland; they can be seen in the background of one of the photos.

Hood minus holes 1.jpg Hood minus holes 2.jpg Frame with weld fill.jpg Test fit new motor.jpg Output shaft 1.jpg

#13 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 04:58 PM

The mystery has been solved, or I'm done researching and thinking about it. I'm calling this tractor a 1964 Lambert 655. This is the year the company changed hands and I believe this explains the black steering wheel. I also happen to be a 1964 model! I've made some progress on the project but cold weather is going to sloooooow me until spring. The holes in the hood are repaired, the transmission is disassembled, and I bought a 8HP Tecumseh for it at the Portland, IN show. I also bought her some new shoes at Portland; they can be seen in the background of one of the photos.

Hood minus holes 1.jpg Hood minus holes 2.jpg Frame with weld fill.jpg Test fit new motor.jpg Output shaft 1.jpg

Your tractor could be a Farm-ette model 650. Without knowing the original engine size will keep you guessing.
One thing you can check that may shed some light. If it is in fact a Lambert (1964) You should see at least 3 holes in the rear deck where the fenders would mount.

Posted Image

Not sure if you can see the bolts are still mounted after I have removed the fenders. Hope it helps.

#14 Farmette47456 OFFLINE  

Farmette47456

• 5 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 09:13 AM

I will check for the fender mounting holes. I'm basing the Lambert decision as follows: floorboards, foot pedal brake, foot clutch, access panel on each side of body, does not have hand brake/clutch, and it looks identical to the one from Illinois on the Yahoo forum that has the Lambert badging. The only thing I see that points to Farmette is the black steering wheel. I must admit that I want it to be a Farmette because I like that name better; but the Lamberts do have better decals! Could always punt and call it a Farmbert 652 1/2.

I also would love to get the steering wheel off. Any ideas??

#15 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 07:51 PM

If you have the access panels on the sides, then yes I would say Lambert. The black wheels were used on the early ones. Have not taken mine off yet.
Looks good, keep us posted on the progress.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lambert, farmette