daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 08:17 PM

I was driving the other day and happened on a Cub Cadet from the 60's or 70's for sale. I don't remember what the model number was, but it was green and white. It was a Bolens type of green.

Did they make a patio version like John Deere. I was just wondering.

Thanks

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 08:30 PM

I know they made some red ones too

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 08:59 PM

I don't think they did. The cubs were always a white and yellow and the internationals were red. Both were made by international. I could be proven wrong but I am pretty sure they were the only colors unless they did some sort of anniversary colors or something.

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 09:26 PM

The cubs were either white/ yellow or red. The only really different one was the " spirit of 76" which was a bicentennial version of the 76 cub and it had a white seat and stars and stripes on it.

#5 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 11:39 PM

Yep - White and Yellow or White and Red. However, there are I believe 3 different whites used throughout the years. A net search to a couple of friendly Cub sites can clear up any confusion. There was that spirit model as well as some demo 123 models painted with tiger stripes for a traveling show. Meow!

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 05:26 AM

There was also a model or two that had green decals,but as far as paint colors go,and not including the Spirit of '76, International built Cub Cadets were yellow and white from '61 to '80,and then they were red from '80 to '82.After that CCC/MTD had them in red for a short time and then they went back to yellow and white.

#7 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 05:45 AM

I don't think they did. The cubs were always a white and yellow and the internationals were red. Both were made by international. I could be proven wrong but I am pretty sure they were the only colors unless they did some sort of anniversary colors or something.

784AA..jpg

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 05:56 AM

I had my wording wrong. I knew they were red for a couple years and have heard them referenced more as "International Cub Cadet" then just Cub Cadet even though they were all made by International until they went to MTD.

#9 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 08:30 AM

Up until 1981, I/H was building Cub Cadets at their own facility. In June of 81, I/H formed the Cub Cadet Corporation and then sold it to MTD because I/H was swimming in red ink at the time and needed a major injection of cash to try and keep afloat. As we all know, the curtain came down shortly after when the truck division was sold to Navistar and the ag division went to Case.

The red CC's were sold only to I/H's ag dealers because that was the colour of the large ag tractors produced by I/H at the time. CC's sold to all other dealers were the traditional yellow and white. The red ones have the IH logo between the headlights whereas many of the yellow/white Cubs had a CCC logo on the grille and also on the seat back. Both the red and yellow/white models were built at MTD's Brownsville plant and came down the same assembly line.

Case had already sold off its own outdoor power equipment division to Jack Ingersoll in late 83 so when they acquired I/H a year later, it put the CCC/MTD deal with I/H in jeopardy. The red tractors ended in 1985 but many of the newly formed Case/IH dealers signed on to carry the traditional yellow/white CC's.