6 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 08:49 PM

I put a turn in the belt and got the blades spinning the right direction. I mowed a couple acres today and it did pretty good. I think the head gasket is blown so ive ordered another one. The maneuverability of the thing was great. It lacked some pulling power going up hills. The deck is small for my application but appears to leave a nice cut. Hard to tell with the first mow of the season. The seat is comfy but being a bigger guy my legs got tired. I actully rested them on the deck for the last half of the yard.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 08:55 PM

I haven't been able to keep up on all of the latest posts but have you done the typical maintenance on the mower deck like sharpen the blades and grease the bearings so it is a little less work on the engine?

If the head gasket is leaking it would definitely cause a lack of power when really loaded and if it is leaking really bad you might want to hold off running it much more till you get a chance to pull the head off and replace the gasket. When you do go to replace the head gasket make sure the head isn't warped and do the proper torque sequence. Also don't forget to re-torque the head after a full heat cycle and while still hot.

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 09:01 PM

I dont think its leaking bad but I notice a puff of smoke coming from between the head and block on start up

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yep, that is usually how they start out. Doesn't sound like it is leaking too bad then but it can still cause it to warp the head and also run lean. Check the machined surface of the head with a straight edge in a couple of different directions or better yet is if you have a piece of glass or machined surface you can lay it machined side down and use feeler gauges to check for any major warping. It doesn't have to be perfect since it will torque out the closer it is to being perfect the less chances you will have of it leaking again.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:05 AM

Make sure you clean the cylinder deck surface of any carbon buildup as well as flattening the head to make sure you get a good seal. If the gasket is leaking on the deck side you can get a hard carbon buildup there which needs to be removed to get a good seal. It can be hard to remove.

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Have you considered moving the seat back? There are three or four holes on the mounting bracket that allow you to adjust seat placement. I find the 110 easy to use but I am also rather short. In fact, I find the RF110's much easier to operate than the 60/70 tractors.

I had to do the head gasket on my 1966 110 after it started leaking where yours is. Make sure you lap the head to ensure it is level and seals well. Mine ran good before the gasket and much better after it. I have never felt a properly running RF110 is down on power. Is your clutch/variator properly adjusted?

#7 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:03 AM

For longer legged guys like myself, the square fender and 200 series JD lack leg room. There isn't enough adjustment in the seat to get the seat far enough back. With the seat placement where they are, even the steering wheel is too close. Some people have made an adjustment block(s) that allow the seat to be moved further back than what the factory adjustment allows. You can take wooden blocks to do this or even make some out of steel.