Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Motorcycle Ride Today

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 09:03 AM

The only time I have ever seen anyone kicked over the handle bars when starting a motorcycle was on a 500cc matchless single. At first it shocked me but when the guy got up OK I think I laughed till I couldn't breathe. Then he just pushed the bike back into the building and that was that. Perfect arc from standing beside the bike to laying in front of it.

The first BSA 441 Victor would do the same thing. The first year it had 12:1 compression, you had to use a compression release to start it. One day several of us were out riding the power line trails and decided to take a break. When we went to fire the bikes back up the compression release cable broke. The first couple of kicks weren't bad but the third time I tried it throw me off. My buddy Ron was 6'4" and well over 300 lbs he got on it and started it. Needless to say after that I rode with a spare clutch & compression release cable.

I would love to have a Matchless GL750. My best friend had one growing up and I believe it was one of the last ones to roll off the line before Matchless closed it's doors.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#32 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Plan on riding down to Raleigh, NC next week. Unless the weather looks really bad, then I'll drive. Should look up some GTT members while I'm there (though I'm supposed to be working)

#33 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Plan on riding down to Raleigh, NC next week. Unless the weather looks really bad, then I'll drive. Should look up some GTT members while I'm there (though I'm supposed to be working)

Be Safe out there and I hope you enjoy you trip. Are you riding solo or with some other riders? Weather here looks good until Thursday then we are supposed to get some rain but I don't think anything sever.

We rode down to Montezuma this past Saturday for lunch then checked out an old covered bridge and of course the required stop at dairy queen. I got a little over 300 miles Saturday, I was tired but it sure felt good. :)

#34 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 01:06 PM

Be Safe out there and I hope you enjoy you trip. Are you riding solo or with some other riders? Weather here looks good until Thursday then we are supposed to get some rain but I don't think anything sever.

We rode down to Montezuma this past Saturday for lunch then checked out an old covered bridge and of course the required stop at dairy queen. I got a little over 300 miles Saturday, I was tired but it sure felt good. :)

Actually, my wife is going to Raleigh on business all week, so I'm just going to ride down to see a new city and have a nice ride through central Virginia on the way. If the weather is really nasty, I'll just take the car. So it will be solo. Hotel room and her expenses are taken care of, so I just got to pay my own way. It's not the beach, but no complaints.

#35 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 07:08 PM

Let us know how it went.

#36 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 10:54 AM

The trip to Raleigh was nice. Did some parts of Central Virginia that I hadn't done before. What's nice is that I can do almost all 2 lanes from home except the last 45 miles to Raleigh. Around 9 hours of butt time each way, but it was worth it!

#37 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 03:15 PM

Glad you made it back safe Dean. Sounds like a really nice ride, I like it when you can leave your front door and just ride 2 lane and see the scenery. 9 hours is just about my limit to where I'm ready to get off and let the bike sit for a while. :) Of course you know what the next question is... Any Pics?

#38 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:48 AM

Naw, we only go as far as pics when we get a group ride and either stop to take some or go through Deals Gap or any place that takes pictures and sells them online.

Like this one from when I rode back from a florida vacation a few years back. I think it was about 42 degrees when I went through deals Gap that day.

oct21p1.JPG

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 04:23 PM

I've not ridden my bike since I started this thread. Either too busy, or too tired to care! I think I'll get the Virago out this weekend for a short ride though.

#40 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 07:30 PM

I've not ridden my bike since I started this thread. Either too busy, or too tired to care! I think I'll get the Virago out this weekend for a short ride though.

My brother rides a Virago too. Actually, I should say, he polishes his Virago.
What year is yours Dan?

#41 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:18 PM

My brother rides a Virago too. Actually, I should say, he polishes his Virago.
What year is yours Dan?

It's a 98 model. I try my best to keep it clean, but my best isn't so good. It looks decently clean. My days of polishing stuff seem to be over. Not enough time.

#42 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 07:03 AM

It's a 98 model. I try my best to keep it clean, but my best isn't so good. It looks decently clean. My days of polishing stuff seem to be over. Not enough time.

He's still got it under it's winter cover, but I'll fire you a pic once it comes out of hibernation.

#43 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Anybody interested in a cheap, bent Harley, I think there's one available cheap in Fayetteville.

:orangecool: :orangecool:

#44 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 10:35 AM

He's still got it under it's winter cover, but I'll fire you a pic once it comes out of hibernation.

Always dusty on this farm, even inside closed sheds, so I keep my cover on mine to help keep it looking a little less dirty. Once I ride & park it, I let the pipes cool, then throw the cover back on.

#45 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Anybody interested in a cheap, bent Harley, I think there's one available cheap in Fayetteville.

:orangecool: :orangecool:

Sounds like a loaded question! LOL Is it yours? Got pics? Not that I can afford even a bent Harley. I'm betting "bent" is an understatement????