#16 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 12:44 PM

Good day for a ride here too Daniel, but I don't have a bike anymore. 78° now. Great February weather!

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 12:51 PM

Daniel, I'm glad you got to ride yesterday. A good bike ride is very relaxing.

Years ago I had a guy down the road from us that rode a 650 twin to work everyday, rain, snow, ice didn't stop him. Well the ice finally stopped him one day, he took a long slid down the road, through the ditch and into the fence before he got stopped. Thankfully he wore a snowmobile suite when it was cold and that saved him from a lot of road rash.

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 01:52 PM

Daniel glad you got to go for a ride today. Rode Tuesday to our club meeting and have 2 rides planned for this weekend so I'm looking forward to getting out and enjoying the open road.

I ride mine a decent amount in the winter, but when it gets much below freezing this ol' body just can't take it anymore.

Heated clothing takes care of that. :) When I worked in downtown Atlanta there were a lot of day's it would warm up into the 50's but early in the AM it would be in the 20's. I would get the strangest looks from people when it was 25 out and I'd be cooking down the road on the bike just as warm as they were. The Jacket liners and gloves aren't to much trouble but the pant liner is kind of a pain to take on and off.

Strange to be talking about bikes on a tractor forum. :confuse: :)

#19 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 02:22 PM

I had a bad case of road rash once. I don't recomend it! :mecry: That and the ensuing staph infections were not a good time! I hit a dog at about 50 MPH. The bike slid about 90 feet and I slid 125 WITH the MRS. on my back! Dog was D.R.T. at the point of impact. :(

#20 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Glad you got to take the bike out and blow a little carbon out Dan! I had a bike (Honda Hawk 400) when I was a kid, but haven't had one since then. I get the urge to ride now and again (it's like an addiction that never leaves your system LOL) but I always have something else to spend money on it seems.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 04:24 PM

As this weather goes anymore, yesterday 75, and right now high 30's and been snowing on me while I haul sawdust into stalls.

#22 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 09:04 PM

30's and been snowing

That's what happens when you bring those motorcycles out in February. :smilewink:

#23 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 11:43 PM

Yesterday was a good day for a bike ride or anything else here, got up to 92 but a cold front blew in last night and only hit the low 60's today. Come on July & Aug.

#24 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Had a great ride today, temps in the low to mid 50's and tomorrow will be in the upper 50's to 60's. A buddy was hit by a pickup back on the last day of last year, tomorrow he will be leading his first ride since recovering. I hope you all thaw out soon so you can enjoy a nice relaxing ride. :)

#25 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Glad you got to take the bike out and blow a little carbon out Dan! I had a bike (Honda Hawk 400) when I was a kid, but haven't had one since then. I get the urge to ride now and again (it's like an addiction that never leaves your system LOL) but I always have something else to spend money on it seems.

Addiction is right. No bike now, but I sorely miss my 500 one-lunger Matchless flat-tracker. Their scarce as hens teeth, but if I ever find one, the GTs will be on the back burner---

#26 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Anyone get some riding in this week? I got to ride Monday and Tuesday, this Saturday will be my first ride as a Road Captain for the club. I have lead small ride with friends before but this is my first one with a formal structure and tail gunner. I'm excited and a little nervous.

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Not ridden more, but was 73F today, but incredibly gusty at 35mph. But even if it weren't windy, I had too much work to get done to take a ride.

#28 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:26 PM

500 one-lunger Matchless flat-tracker

The only time I have ever seen anyone kicked over the handle bars when starting a motorcycle was on a 500cc matchless single. At first it shocked me but when the guy got up OK I think I laughed till I couldn't breathe. Then he just pushed the bike back into the building and that was that. Perfect arc from standing beside the bike to laying in front of it.

#29 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:26 PM

The thought crossed my mind. It's tough to make the call on when to get it out because I go some lengths to stabil the gas, then get it through the system and then run the carb dry as well. Put it on a stand against the wall... When it comes down it stays down.

#30 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 08:38 AM

The only time I have ever seen anyone kicked over the handle bars when starting a motorcycle was on a 500cc matchless single. At first it shocked me but when the guy got up OK I think I laughed till I couldn't breathe. Then he just pushed the bike back into the building and that was that. Perfect arc from standing beside the bike to laying in front of it.

Thankx Chris . That bad boy ran like a scalded dog once you got it started. I had to sell it after a couple of years in order for my kicking leg to finally heal. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: