#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Joy !, i knew you guys would find a way, Bill, as long as the valve seals good you got it now.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Now i am anxious to hear if it works for you now, great job getting it worked out :thumbs:

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like you might have it licked. Can't wait to see if you beat the beast.

#20 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 05:47 PM

I might have know you guys would corrupt me! :laughingteeth: Out of all my years fixing things and working in the shop I have never taken a camera out there to take pictures! See this site rubs off on ya. :rocker:

Well I now have the cleanest walk way in the county. This morning I went out and carefully put the pump head back together only to find I lost the spring for the chemical port so what does any red blooded wrench turner do but go get an old pen and take the spring out of it. Well I put everything back together and took it out and hooked up the water and turned it on. Presto I had good flow so I let it run a little then decided to fire it up. First pull the motor came to life and I had intermittent pressure but I had flow and pressure so I adjusted the unloader some and it got better then like George described on his it seemed to purge the line and ran great for about 15 minutes then BOOM! it quite and no more flow and the motor would not crank. So I took off the outlet duct and unscrewed the inlet check valve and voila water flow. So I ended up cleaning it again and playing with it the rest of the day and each time I would get water flow until I went to start up the engine and then nothing until I took the check valve apart. I can't see a thing wrong with the valve but in frustration and just to see what would happen I gutted the valve and just put the shell back in and guess what? it worked like a champ except it doesn't want to unload when you release the nozzle, it stalls. At this point I'm not sure what I will do but it does work and it didn't cost me anything.

This first pic is the culprit, the inlet check valve that is located in the outlet duct.
DSCF0070.JPG

This next one shows the outlet duct.
DSCF0068.JPG

This one is all the part out of the head.
DSCF0068.JPG
DSCF0071.JPG

These are the finished product.
DSCF0072.JPG DSCF0073.JPG DSCF0074.JPG DSCF0075.JPG

I have to admit it sure was nice having other helping with suggestions and Idea's thanks to all of you.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0069.JPG

Edited by HDWildBill, February 27, 2012 - 05:48 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Bill, glad to hear it works, but sorry about the sticky valve. Is it still available?

If you're bored and don't mind trying something else, you might get some of the lube they use on the valves for pool pumps and grease those O rings up. IDK, might help.

One question. Does the valve feel hot or very warm when you take it out?

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Bill, glad to hear it works, but sorry about the sticky valve. Is it still available?

If you're bored and don't mind trying something else, you might get some of the lube they use on the valves for pool pumps and grease those O rings up. IDK, might help.

One question. Does the valve feel hot or very warm when you take it out?

That's a good Idea, when I orginially put the valve together I coated the o-rings with some black axle grease and that was when it worked the longest so the lube for the pool pumps may just do the trick. The valve is cool to the touch. Thanks.

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Sounds like your gaining on it. I don't think your far away from having it licked. I have not worked on one of the vertical pumps.
Good luck.

#24 smasher OFFLINE  

smasher

• Member No: 6997
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Your problem most likely lies between the high pressure side of your pump and the unloader, there is a small orifice for a discharge there if it gets plugged you will get the results you have been describing. Then when you remove the inlet check valve it releases the pressure on the pump and pulls the blockage back out of the port.If the flow problem was in the inlet the engine would run fine, the pump would cavitate and eventually cook itself.

#25 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 11:52 AM

I think I know the port you are talking about Smasher, but when I had it apart I ran air through all the ports and even used pipe cleaners and wire to make sure everything is clear. To bad I can't just put it in an electrolysis bath to make sure everything is cleaned up.

I have a Sears Mower I need to put back together so I think I'm going to let this one sit for a day or two and think about it then on the second day I'll wake up at 2 in the morning and realize what the problem is! :rofl2: I don't know how many times I have done that over the years, even in the Navy when I would have an engine that was giving us problems and couldn't figure it out I would wake up in the middle of the night and get dressed go the shop and tell them to order such and such a part and it would fix the problem.

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 01:42 PM

My time for solutions was in the shower. It happened so often that the guys at work started asking if I figured it out in the shower.I was a plant engineer for 31 years so I often went home at night with some problem on my mind. It must be because you are relaxed. Anyway I hope you get it figured out,

#27 jc56 OFFLINE  

jc56

• Member No: 8302
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hey WildBill...I'm like too.I'll rack my brain trying to think of something and CANNOT think of it...then in the middle of the night or the next day or next week......BAM...it will pop in my head!!!!It's the damnest thing...lol!!!jc