Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Some Help With A Pressure Washer

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 05:51 PM

A buddy of mine gave me a Troy-bilt pressure washer 2550 for some computer work I did for him. The engine runs great but no water pressure, in fact all I get out the outlet is a little dribble. I'm thinking it is the unloader valve but I don't have much experience with the pumps.

Does anyone know how to check an unloader valve and how to adjust one? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:02 PM

What little experience I have with them is not much.

The pressure valve may be a good candidate, I would see if the impeller is turning on the shaft too. My boss had one he ran without water in it & it overheated the little plastic impeller and it spun on the shaft. Wouldn't do any more than the incoming pressure at that point... As he said, when he asked me to look at it... "it seems to have a prostate problem" :laughingteeth:

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Bill the first thing I would check is to see if the trash screen on the inlet fitting is plugged. I've had this happen several times. Not likely to be the bypass valve if all your getting is a dribble out the nozzle. The coupler or the key on the motor shaft could be slipping so the pump is not turning. With the faucet turned on squeeze the trigger then turn the pump on and squeeze the trigger. If there is no increase in water flow than the pump is not turning or there is an air lock in the pump. Leave the trigger on with the faucet open until no more air comes out the nozzle. Then turn the pump on and see if you get pressure. In your neck of the woods it is not likely to have frozen.
I hope the guys computer works better than the pressure washer :smilewink:
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Bill, i have no idear, never worked on thoses types of high pressure water pumps, only the old centrifugal and piston pump, if no one know i will email someone that might know.

Well, looks like the guys has got it, you will get it going now :-)

Edited by trowel, February 23, 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:31 PM

I have the same pressure washer. I am not familiar with working on the pumps but I do know it is very finicky with getting enough water and no air pockets before it will hold pressure. Usually for the first 15 minutes of running even though I think all of the air is out of the supply line it will still die off on me.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Guy's, I will check the suggestions out tomorrow.

#7 jc56 OFFLINE  

jc56

• Member No: 8302
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hey WildBill.You can do a google search and just put in pump troubleshooting or something like that.I just did it cause I having just the opposite problem with mine.I'm pretty sure it's not the unloader for your problem.Sounds like you aren't building any pressure at all.Might help.jc

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Update: I tried the suggestions above with negative results. I took the head off the pump today and found quite a bite of corrosion in the ports and on a ball check valve. The only things I couldn't figure out how to get out was the intake and outlet exhaust check valves. I also checked to see if the impeller was still connected to the engine. All three pistons move up and down like they should when I pull the motor through. Right now when I connect up the water supply to the inlet I get absolutely nothing coming out the outlet not even normal water pressure from the hose. If the check valves were not working properly I would think that I would get some water out.

Chris actually he burned up his mother board so no his computer isn't working either. Actually I wasn't going to charge him since he does a lot of favors for me, but he found it at a garage sale and was told it worked. The motor works just fine, first pull.

JC56 I found several manuals but not a service manual on this specific model. I found one on briggs and stratton pressure washers and tried to follow the instructions in it but when it came to taking the check valves out they weren't even close to the same. Well I'll mess with it next week, I have a fun weekend planned. :) Thanks

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 08:45 PM

You've got a blockage somewhere. When you turn the supply water on you should get water out the nozzle when you squeeze the trigger. You'll figure it out.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 10:10 PM

Yes, running or not, water should pass on through. Between my farm & personally, we've owned 5 or 6 pressure washers & all pass water at any time.

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 10:20 PM

I think the problem may be with those check valves but I have to figure out how to get them out with out destroying them. I'm pretty good at destroying something to get it out. :shoot3:

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 12:02 AM

Bill, if you have access to the model and serial number, click on the link and it will take you to the Troy-Bilt website where you can click on the menu tab "Owners Center" all the way to the right. Enter the Model and Serial number in the boxes and hopefully your manual will be available! Click Here

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 07:02 PM

I have it down in the shop so I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks.

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well I went out to the Troy-bilt site like Caseguy suggested and got an exact part manual for the Pressure washer. That helped in that I could see what was holding the outlet valve in. But it turns out it looks like the Inlet check valve in outlet of the head may have been causing the problem. It should have unscrewed and fallen out in my hand but it was so corroded up that it took me several hours of working with it and finally I used an easy out but still had a heck of a time to get it out of the port.

I think I have everything pretty well cleaned up so I will put it back together, if I can remember how :) , tomorrow and see what happens.

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:52 PM

That's great news Bill, sounds like you've got the battle half won! Glad that the link helped!