• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 04:06 PM

Been a real tough day. Milked this morning, then went right into trimming cow's feet. Had several getting lame, and cooler day, so THE time to do it, both for the cows & myself. Trimmed 15 cow's feet for a total of 56 individual feet. I use both manual trimmers & knives, plus a carbide tipped 4" grinder wheel specifically made for trimming cattle. Bought the wheel like 10yrs ago & it cost $250 then! Worth it though as I've never had to have the carbides sharpened yet. By now I'd have went through a couple dozen cheapee steel wheels at $30 each. Now I gotta run to Lowes to get new rope to put out our shade cloth over the cow feeders. Need to get sprinkler hoses too. I hang them from under the shade cloth to cool the cows when it gets real hot. Man do they like it too!

#2 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 04:14 PM

That sounds like a neat way to cool the cows off.I've never seen one before a pic would be kinda cool to satisfy my curiosity.Do you use a tittling table to put the cow into to make it easier on you.Thats lots of work trimmimg feet for sure.They sure do walk better once there houves aren't bothering them anymore.I've trimmed lots of Horses houves in my time but never done a cows just watched it being done.My Uncle and Aunt had a Dairy they hired that job out to the proffesional's.Thats why I've seen it done but the guys have one of those tables.Larry

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 04:36 PM

We built our own tilt table from scrap metal, and old hydraulic pump we had & had a cylinder here too. Cost less than $100. Got to be awfully expensive hiring hoof trimmers to bring their portable tables out. I knew I could trim them myself, so made the tilt table & started doing it. Next time I trim, I'll snap some pics for you guys. I have more to trim, but may have to wait till Wednesday as it's a good chance of rain, and I can do other stuff outside tomorrow & trim when it rains. We have the trim table inside the freestall barn off to it's own side.
Yep, just suspend the sprinkler hose upside down & attach to shade cloth pipe framework with zip straps. The first year I used them, they paid for themselves like 3 times the first day I used them. Cow's milk output was waaay down due to heat, but they came up several hundred pounds the first truck pickup.

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 05:17 PM

15 cows.....56 feet (hooves)......Uh..15x4=60....Got a few 3 legged cows there????......lol

Sounds like a lot of work man....don't know if I could hack being a farmer.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 07:26 PM

15 cows.....56 feet (hooves)......Uh..15x4=60....Got a few 3 legged cows there????......lol

Sounds like a lot of work man....don't know if I could hack being a farmer.

Well, I could say I slipped a few times with the trimmer! But the part that slipped was my mind. Meant to type 14 cows....not 15. :smilewink:

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 08:32 PM

Sounds like a busy day for you Daniel. Made me tired just reading about it! I'm sure the cows do appreciate that sprinkler and shade set up.

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 09:13 PM

Lots of feet there, We used to have the show cattle trimmed up back then it was like $45.00 so you saved a bunch of money today.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 10:05 AM

Not trimming today, but remembered I have a few trimming pics in photobucket. I'll start a new thread on the trimming.