4 replies to this topic

#1 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 10:49 PM

Has anyone ever installed an engine from small engine warehouse in their massey tractor? Have been thinking long and hard about this and wonder if its as good as it sounds!? Any problems with the repowering kits? All replys are welcomed good or bad! Thanks all! Luke

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 06:03 AM

A friend of mine put a Honda engine in his 1655,but it didn't come from Small Engine Warehouse.I'm not sure where he got it from,but he got everything needed for the swap,including the wiring harness.It is a nice fit too.

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 06:08 AM

I'm not a Massey guy but I can tell you this. First off, you can't go wrong with a Honda engine. They are legendary when it comes to providing smooth, quiet, reliable power that will last a long time if looked after properly. I also know of a couple of people who have repowered their Case tractors with engines from SEW as kits and have no complaints. These engines were either Vanguard, Kawasaki or Honda's.

On the other side of the coin, I am a bit of a purist. While I confess that I know little about Massey's, I prefer to see old GT's restored back to pristine condition with the original engine under the hood. However, I also recognize that many of these tractors are still putting in an honest days work for people who have no interest in owning a trailer queen. So, my suggestion is simple. Install the Honda but make the fewest mods to the tractor you possibly can. Avoid cutting any sheet metal if there is another way. Try to keep the tractor as close to what it is now and store the original engine away somewhere. That way, should you decide to either sell it or restore it, the original engine will be available down the road.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about buying a kit from SEW. They come up with these kits by actually performing the swap themselves. If you have any questions about the kit, call them up or write them. They will provide you with full disclosure to allay any concerns you have. As I understand it, SEW provides an instruction sheet to tell you how to deal with wiring issues and so forth.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 08:28 AM

SEW kits as I understand it always come with wiring conversion mini harness to allow connecting your wiring to their engines.

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 10:53 AM

I installed a Honda 20 HP in my 1655 about 8-9 years ago.I didn't buy the kit but made things up on the fly.I had to raise the Honda motor up by 1 1/2 " and left the oem mount where it sits.I had to make a adapter plate for the front of the motor to beable to mount the electric clutch.The PTO shaft on the Honda is a 1" shaft and the onan is 1 1/8 shaft so I needed to take a thin walled pipe and put it over the top of the Honda's shaft to beable to use the oem clutch.I had to cut the pipe to beable to use the keyway on the shaft and if memory serves me correctly I had to make a special key as the keyway shaft on the honda motor is different from the onan.I don't have a Lathe so I had a machine shop make me a adapter on the flywheel side to beable to use the splined shaft etc that drive's the the pto and belts that drive the hydro pump .The muffler didn't come with the motor so I made my own this way it fits nice under the hood The other thing that needed to have done was to cut out the piece of metal on the underside of the hood that seperate the battery and fuel tank from the old onan motor.I left 3/4" of the metal still intact all around the hood to still act a reinforcement.Actually I had cut both of the sides with 3/4" left and had cut it right out the the underside of the hood then I used a 1/8" X 1" flat bar for the top{against} the underside of the hood which I bolted in place to either side of what was left of the side's.I didn't realize that I cold have just left the 3/4" at the top in place.I had to rewire it for the Honda engine,did the wiring myself.One problem I had was with the electric clutch.The old onan motor needed power to run where the Honda needs grd to stop.So when I engaged the the electric clutch the Honda motor would shut down.So I ended up putting a push buttom kill switch by the ignition key so that when I shut the key off I have to push the kill button to stop the motor.That solved the problem of the Honda motor wanting to shut down when the electric clutch was engaged.I belive there's 1800 hrs on the Honda motor now and Its still running like day one.You won't be sorry to install a Honda in it.The upside is the Fuel economy is way better then the onan. Larry

Edited by massey driver, June 07, 2010 - 11:00 AM.