1 reply to this topic

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 06:37 PM

A friend of mine has a Wheel Horse GT with an Onan 16hp engine in it, late last year it started surging all the time, tried the usual spray carb cleaner but no help.
This year took the top of the carb cleaned in out spotless, had so crap in the bottom of the bowel, used spray cleaner in all the passages and jets but would still surge at high speed, close the choke off a bit and it soothes right out. So took the top of again, this time I used a cutting torch tip cleaner in the main jet, just find the bigest one that fits and gently file 3 or 4 times back and forth, (not trying to make the jet larger just to remove any buildup that is stuck in there), put it all back together and it runs nice and smooth and steady.
I've done this in the past on different engines and always had good results just have to be real careful not to enlarge the jet, only to clean it out.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 07:52 AM

That's great info Doug. I think I still have torch tip cleaners in my welding bag. I will have to remember to check next time I go to clean a carb.