CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Man did anyone ever tell you guys your patient?...if so "they Lied"...if not "I see why"...LOL Sunday fellas...sheesh but the guy is cool he is holding it for me..Was that $100 a piece?

poncho you have the 100 and 125, I have the 145 and 165...between us we have the 'fleet', are yours restored?

Edited by NutCASE, February 24, 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#17 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Nope,,,,,I dont restore, just work em.....lol

I should have a go at one of them....I have 2 125s and the 100......2 have the PTO, have a tiller, front blade and a 50 in deck.

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:17 PM

I haven't restored one, like Poncho I just work them. I put some new paint here and there to pretty them up a bit. Fix what's needed and put it to work.

#19 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 08:11 PM

To be honest with you guys, I cannot wait to restore mine. The blue paint with new decals is gonna be beautiful. Since I pick up the 165 Sunday I'll determine which one 'goes first'. Although it could be the 'gravely, or one of my other tractors, maybe the 446 Ingersoll I have the motor apart on? Not really sure, maybe I'll do the 'trailer' for the ford first...who knows...but they are cool nonetheless!

#20 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 04:15 AM

You are going to really like those Fords, they had a few minor flaws, but are repairable to make them darn near perfect.
In that generation of GT they were one of the best, and on par with Bolens and Cub Cadets. Deere was not there yet, but gaining ground fast and furious. As were the Cases.

Case got way too pricey and by now, the hydraulic drive was outdated and way too inefficient. Hydrostatics were in too stay!

#21 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Case got way too pricey and by now, the hydraulic drive was outdated and way too inefficient. Hydrostatics were in too stay!

Huh? this is gonna need some explanation! Hydraulic drive innefficient? The differences between the ford and case of the same period are nominal.(at best)! Since I have 4 or 5 tractors from the same year I've done a little 'probing' into them. The hydraulic drive isn' really innefficient, especially for tasks similar to mowing, or tilling or moving things. Changing directions, and speeds is at your fingertips, not a gear drive but hard if not impossible to declare them onefficient at work, especially when the essence of work is force x distance, so tasks which command slowing down, changing direction and speeding up would render themselves highly efficient due to the nature of hydraulics. If you are using a single domain like 'pulling', the essence is straight line full throttle, hardly the demands of what a garden tractor is intended so in that respect a gear drive would be much more innefficient than a hydraulic drive.

I take nothing from the Ford at all...but, the Case is also a very good working machine, as is the Wheel Horse, and others, and ithe Case implements are all top notch and in fact superior to other brands. The only deck from a tractor I have that is heavier than a Case deck is my gravely deck and that is due to its 'shaft drive'. The difference between hydraulic drive and hydrostatic drive are 'nominal', especially since the advent of the 'holding valve' circa 1986 it essentially 'leveled the playing field' between hydraulic drive, and hydrostatic drive where downhill operations were improved, but with that single 'tweak' the hydraulic drive and hydrostatic drive are on par in the GT world.?!

Obviously you know a thing or two about this so I look forward to your response...

Edited by NutCASE, February 25, 2012 - 10:00 AM.

• josh deaven said thank you

#22 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 04:17 PM

Case made great stuff, $$$ gear pump verses piston pump . Gerotor , verses piston motor, directional control spool valve, with optional holding valve, , verses linkage to swash ring, that controls volume and direction.

#23 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:48 PM

All right fellas, Today is Sunday and here is my LGT 165 ...Not exactly sure which route I am gonna go witht his one, although Jack says this will not be a 'tough restore'...so we'll see, a Pics and a videos of it running...
Posted Image
http://s312.photobuc...nt=GOPR5327.mp4

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:54 PM

I would combine both to make one good one! Hey nut case check out my post on the battery cover.Later Josh

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Jim, that is a heck of a Ford, Let me know if you want to trade away either the 145 or 165, I'd be interested in either (as long as it is still one piece lol)

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Forgot to add... superb haul yet again.

#27 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:55 PM

I would combine both to make one good one! Hey nut case check out my post on the battery cover.Later Josh

I had that in mind when I bought my 2nd Ford....I now have 3, all running and all working....

#28 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:56 PM

T\hanks fellas... Were I to 'swap' anything it'd be the grille, the rest on the 145 is just about perfect, and while the 165 has more rough edges it isn't bad either!

Josh where is the battery cover post?

Casey, I'll let ya know as soon as I figure out what I wanna do...I was talkin with Jack tonight and the fords may fall to later in the spring, I have a 446 with the motor apart and a couple of car things to do, once that is ironed out then I'll figure out what I am gonna do with the Ford situation...

Edited by NutCASE, February 26, 2012 - 08:56 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 04:17 AM

Not a bad looking Ford. A lot better than what I started with. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

#30 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Congrats,I do like the looks of those "open sided" Fords.