• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,275 Thanks
  • 4,031 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hey all. I was just checking CL. and this tractor is on there in my Town. no pictures, just says Great condition, needs to be rewired and a new battery. Comes with the wiring and a new battery to install.48" deck included and the price is $350! Is this a good model Cub?

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,587 Thanks
  • 38,983 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 05:40 AM

I have no experience with those. Probably could be a great machine with some TLC.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 05:43 AM

Those were MTD built Cub Cadets.

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,748 Thanks
  • 1,393 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 07:04 AM

Pretty good grass mower...But won't be anywhere near the quality of the older machines. If you want a "Cub" to play with I'd look at the 82 series and back. The newer machines are more the "what can we put together just to get it out of warrenty type engineering" verses "we are proud of our product and it will last for many years with reasonable care" Good luck with the Jake's :thumbs:

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 05:25 PM

It might be a good mower for that price or a little less. The 2000 series are not as well thought of in some circles. I've never used one.

I must agree with the previous advice. If you want a nice cub, get an 82 series and older.

I would certainly want to know why it has to be rewired.

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,168 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 10:56 PM

I love my 2000 series 2186.The 48 inch deck is pretty nice other than the front deck hanger breaking off twice now.I made a new hanger out of thicker steel and reinforced the inside of the deck where they always break off at so it shouldn't do that again any time soon.
The engine in mine is a 16hp Vanguard V-Twin with just over 1100 hours on it.Still doesn't smoke and runs good.The original starter is starting to get a bit tired though and the corner rusted and blew out of my muffler but it sounds better now anyway.

The Transaxle in mine is smooth and quiet and well other than the tractor needing it's 2nd battery,I'm tickled pink with how it handles even the highest grass and it will pull a cart with 1/2 a cord of fire wood easily.
And the turning radious of the 2000 series tractors is almost as good as a Zero turn rider.

The older cubs are the way to go IF you can find one that isn't beat to death.
I still love my old CC 127 for pulling and pushing stuff.The raw torque of those old Kohlers is amazing.But they don't mow as well as the newer GTs and the turning radious is,well they don't turn very tight at all.

For that price does it have alot of hours on it or something?Wiring is very simple with a Diagram.
The engine is worth more than he's asking for the whole tractor if it runs.

Edited by EricFromPa, February 22, 2012 - 11:01 PM.