• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 21, 2012 - 06:24 PM

so recently, i traded a snap on ratchet i got at a yardsale into one of there trucks for a brand new one. my friend liked it and i traded it for a sears ss 16. and im not sure if i want to invest in a new coil for it or if im gonna part it sell it or what. i almost wanna sell it and put money towards saving for a benelli supernova :laughingteeth: . it has the 3 point mount and handle on the back. i basically paid beans for the tractor so i dont got much to lose either way, but i dont have a need for it. and what are the 3 point mounts going for with the lift handle?

#2 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 06:50 PM

If you know of another frind that has a V 6 3.0-3.5 car engine, some have a three pack of dual coils. They work really good. I have even installed those coils on my 4 cylinder motorcycle engine I pull with. I use two of the coil packs. I found out how much new coils would be for the motorcycle engine, so that was when I found these dual coil packs.

All you have to do with these coils is:
remove the hold down bolt that mounts them to the computer board.
underneith the coil there are to prong locations, one you plug in keyed battery power and the other prong you connect it to the wire coming from your points.

These coils ignite when the points hammer hits ground, making a complete circuit.

This will work on any brand of two cylinder engine with points system. (Onan, Kohler, B&S, .....)

Maybe this might help some out.

Attached Thumbnails

• coil_module_assembly.jpg

• olcowhand, ducky, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#3 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 21, 2012 - 07:48 PM

now i just wanna sellt hsi thing. i got another bolens with wheel weights i gotta buy. if someone gave me 200 id let this thing go lol. time to post her on craigslist.

#4 Hugh OFFLINE  

Hugh

• Member No: 1954
  • 155 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Go to Napa and get a Harley Davidson coil for a 2cyl.
Same exact coil, but way cheaper than buying thru Cummins.
Any coil that fires at the same time will do.
Thank you
Hugh
  • mjodrey and KennyP have said thanks

#5 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 22, 2012 - 07:24 AM

ok so a coil is like 22 bucks. thats not bad and i can spare that for a gamble. are these tractors worth a few buck atleast when there running?

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 10:42 AM

Tim

underneith the coil there are to prong locations, one you plug in keyed battery power and the other prong you connect it to the wire coming from your points.

Is there a polarity Issue when wiring these?

These coils ignite when the points hammer hits ground, making a complete circuit.

Most coils will fire when the Points open. Do these work the opposite way?

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 11:17 AM

Go to Napa and get a Harley Davidson coil for a 2cyl.
Same exact coil, but way cheaper than buying thru Cummins.
Any coil that fires at the same time will do.
Thank you
Hugh

That's a good idea.

#8 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 01:19 PM

Ducky

As far as I know there is no polarity issue, it is just like a two prong outlet for a wall socket in the house. You can usually plug them in either way. When I use two coil packs I make sure that the wires are plug in the same way as the other. With a motorcycle engine they mave two sets of points, one for each coil.

As for the points they do work the same as any other small engine, it is that close and then the quick open that discharges the spark out of the coil.

Here is a pic of the tractor I built that has the Kawasaki KZ 650cc 4 cylinder engine in it. It has two of those coil pack under the hood. The mower was a Craftsman. I removed the rear axle and installed a 1 1/2 inch solid shaft, the tranny is a 3 speed from a Ford model A car. It is all chain driven. The clutch is the one in the engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0043.jpg

• iron Mike said thank you