15 replies to this topic

#1 BolensNewB OFFLINE  

BolensNewB
  • Member No: 8760
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hello all,

I was given a (I believe 1964) Sears Custom 600. It doesn't have the original engine and has a Jury Rigged Clutch Pulley. It runs with 8hp Briggs, but doesn't move because of the Clutch rigging. I would like to get this bugger moving so I can plow snow. Has a Manual Plow and Tire Chains. No Weights. The hood was cut on the left side to fit the Briggs in there. I'd like to find another hood, but I feel that may not happen.

I also bought a Bolens G-14 with original HH140 Tecumseh engine. Runs and Drives but makes horrible sound when clutch is out. Needs another hood with scoop, someone cut off old scoop and put some huge metal thing on there. Needs a seat as the old one was in bad shape and broke off.
My Plan with this Tractor is to build the PF Engineering Front end Loader and Backhoe. I don't have any attachments for the tractor, nor a mower deck.

I'm glad to have found this site. I hope you all can help me get these awesome tractors back to good working order. I have looked around and did find some other sites with parts for the Bolens. I am new to both of these tractors, and new to garden tractors in general, so I may ask some really odd questions from time to time. Please bare with me.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Welcome to GTT!

You definitely came to the right place to share and learn information about Garden Tractors.
We would love to see some pictures of your Tractors when you get a chance.

Here's a partslist for your Bolens http://gardentractor...olens-1453-g14/

Attachments for these Tubeframe Bolens such as tillers, snow casters and mower decks are usually pretty easy to come by.

Where exactly is the noise coming from when you release the clutch?

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 02:30 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, glad you found us. You have had the "DOCTOR" of Bolens GT's already reply to you above. He and several others will be able to help you with any and all of your Bolens questions.

#4 BolensNewB OFFLINE  

BolensNewB
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thankyou for the warm welcome.

The noise from the Clutch is coming from underneath right near the clutch pedal about mid tractor (front to back). I saw a video online with someone i think is on this site, nascar-something, but in his video his tractor was making the same noise, like a bearing wobling but amplified by 100 times and fast. Horrible sound. It was on the same video of him finding a G-11. If you find that video, you'll know exactly what sound mine makes. It's on Youtube and the guy lives in PA.

Thankyou for the Parts list. I will Certainly need that. I did find a place online called Farmersvilleequipment.com that says the have bought some 75 bolens tubeframes and cleaned and inspected all parts and attachments for sale. I wrote them and told them what I need. I didn't see that site on this site, so maybe that would help someone else out on here. ; )

Again, thank you both. Bolens 1000, and Texas D and H for your warm welcome.

Your BolensNewB, Wade

#5 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 03:00 PM

Welcome bolensnewb, On these older tractors it may take some time to find all the parts and attachment you are looking for, but that seems to be half of the fun with these old work horses. have fun and enjoy the forum!!

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 03:03 PM

BolensNewsB,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#7 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 21, 2012 - 03:57 PM

if its a whining sound your talking about mine does that. but it makes a louder whining sound if the clutch pedal isnt realeased all the way. from what ive heard these gear rear ends are supposed to have a slight whine coming from them.

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Thankyou for the warm welcome.

The noise from the Clutch is coming from underneath right near the clutch pedal about mid tractor (front to back). I saw a video online with someone i think is on this site, nascar-something, but in his video his tractor was making the same noise, like a bearing wobling but amplified by 100 times and fast. Horrible sound. It was on the same video of him finding a G-11. If you find that video, you'll know exactly what sound mine makes. It's on Youtube and the guy lives in PA.

Thankyou for the Parts list. I will Certainly need that. I did find a place online called Farmersvilleequipment.com that says the have bought some 75 bolens tubeframes and cleaned and inspected all parts and attachments for sale. I wrote them and told them what I need. I didn't see that site on this site, so maybe that would help someone else out on here. ; )

Again, thank you both. Bolens 1000, and Texas D and H for your warm welcome.

Your BolensNewB, Wade

I do know who you are talking about. He is a member of this site as well, I will take a look and see if I can find the video

You may not get a reply back from the Farmersville place as a good majority of the Bolens used parts were auctioned off.

I think you can only reach him by phone number now.

#9 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hello and Welcome! Glad you found the site. Lots of good people ready to help out. You'r making me jealous with that G14. That's a good tractor. And so is the Sears! :welcometogttalk:

#10 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 04:55 PM

Welcome BolensNewB. Glad you joined.

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 05:47 PM

:wave: BolensNewB! Welcome to GTTalk Wade! We're glad to have you with us! You could try one of our site supporters for the parts that you're needing. Bob's lawn and garden has quite a bit of Bolens and Sears stuff alike. Rich from Patton acres has a bit of everything. Their ads are on the forum main page! Thanks for signing up and good luck with your tractors! BTW we'd love to see some pics of what you have!

#12 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 21, 2012 - 05:54 PM

ebay also seems to have a good selection and competitive pricing for parts.

#13 shinklem OFFLINE  

shinklem

• Member No: 4729
  • 3 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Welcome to GT Talk, and congrats on your bolens. Be careful, these bolens get addictive real fast. You are in good hands here with all your questions. everyone is real helpful. Good luck with your new projects, and have fun with it.

#14 BolensNewB OFFLINE  

BolensNewB
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hey Thanks All. I will look into the other sites mentioned on main page. I have to do some cleanup before I start tearing down either one of the tractors. The Noise sounds more like a wood chipper than anything. I wouldn't be able to hear the rearend if I were inside of it. LOL.
On a side note. Just curious if anyone knows what I may be talking about here..... When I was younger, we aquired a lawn tractor that was gold in color and shaped like a combine. Had a vertical shaft 5 hp briggs engine on the back above the steering tires. It had a steering wheel not bars like some rear engine things and the Mowing deck was a Reel style in the front. Drive tires Sat just below steering wheel. Has anyone Seen one of these things. I'm not sure of the Make, Model or Year, but I'd guess it was 50's or 60's. I Sure would like to find another one of those.

#15 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Did it look like this?