• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 relic7680 OFFLINE  

relic7680

• Member No: 7630
  • 29 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Wow, didn't know the rear lenses were available....my originals cleaned up decent but I may look into these. The speed nut for the battery cover is a somewhat specialized part that Fastenal doesn't match, but I'm sure I will find one.

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Have you tried McMaster-Carr?

#18 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 03:01 PM

That is a really nice looking Jac! It is nice to see that someone is taking the time to restore one. Most of the time it's just the other stuff that Jacobsen made that gets the attention. I have come across a couple like this, but they are usually pretty beat up. I would like to find a nice one someday. Keep us updated!

#19 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 05:57 PM

It is very interesting to me...I am doing my 'rebuild' of my 74 LGT145 Ford (Jacobsen) and while they are remarkably similar, there are still differences and that they are the same year is all the more intriguing to me. Cant wait to see it finished...both you're project and Mine...keep up the good work and Good Luck with the restore...

#20 relic7680 OFFLINE  

relic7680

• 29 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:46 PM

Been awhile.....school got heavy and I went back to the folks' house for the holidays. The Kohler 12hp is still in reassembly and the decal work is still out (not much heard on that). small 3.jpg small 2.jpg small 1.jpg I've gotten back to work lately, starting on the mower deck. It's not original to the tractor, but some sort of NOS warehouse replacement that my great uncle bought after the first one rotted through. You will notice that it's black (as opposed to the correct white). I had to take the torch to the one pulley on the crustiest spindle and bent it up nicely with my two-jaw puller. Oh well.....there were two extra spindles and pulleys with my father that I'd bought for him years ago....he just reminded me that they were still around!

I ordered a couple pieces from Messick's in PA once again, to include a new chute and a nylon washout fitting. More bits will likely have to be ordered, though I'm somewhat confident that I will be able to rehab the spindles once I get them apart. The old chute got chopped by my father to fit the tractor in the family shed....he also tossed the sheet metal belt cover because it just trapped grass. The lot with the pulleys that I bought included another one, fortunately.

As it may pertain to many of the enthusiasts here on the forum, Messick's has been revamping their electronic parts catalog. It no longer recognizes my 3220 tractor model number and the parts guy I spoke to wasn't sure that the "obsolete" equipment like mine will be added back in. I ordered the deck parts by supplying individual numbers from my '73 parts book and tacking "JAC" onto the front of each one.

The deck, by design, doesn't come completely apart. The front hanger mechanism and the shaft on the back to raise the rear rollers are both retained. It's going to the blaster this week, so I guess they can have fun working around all of it. That shaft has two (brass?) bushings that I don't know how anyone could replace. More money, time, and patience....

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 04:50 AM

Good to see some progress here! I have noticed the New Holland revamp. Not a good thing. I'm glad I found a bunch of parts manuals to upload. At least we can find a part # now for a lot of different things. Good luck with it all!

#22 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 10:13 PM

That's a good looking job you're on . Here's  a picture of mine after I got the work finished. Same 12 HP Kohler, same 4 speed box. 

Good Luck 

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 558.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 05:37 AM

That's a good looking job you're on . Here's  a picture of mine after I got the work finished. Same 12 HP Kohler, same 4 speed box. 

Good Luck 

Nice looking Jake!

#24 Magnus_E OFFLINE  

Magnus_E
  • Member No: 27742
  • 10 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 08:05 AM

ntNice work I also have a Jacobsen Gt12, but it is from 72. My is not restored but functional.

It is not so easy finding parts here in Sweden. I got one problem its the safety switch thats bad.

Magnus_E

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:30 AM

ntNice work I also have a Jacobsen Gt12, but it is from 72. My is not restored but functional.

It is not so easy finding parts here in Sweden. I got one problem its the safety switch thats bad.

Magnus_E

Welcome to the forum, Magnus! Glad to have you join in! You can open a thread in Member Introductions and you'll get a rousing welcome. We have good manual coverage on these, as well. We like pics of the tractors and would enjoy seeing yours. Help with posting them can be found at the bottom of my signature. Look over the site and post any questions you may have!

#26 relic7680 OFFLINE  

relic7680

• 29 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 05:22 PM

I graduated college today and will be moving to Missouri tomorrow. Needless to say, the tractor (and deck) aren't finished. While I am dissappointed by this, I have no choice but to arrange for some work to continue here in Kansas and pick up the tractor later. It's a 5 1/2 hour drive each way from here to MO.

The main hold up was that some cylinder head hardware got back ordered, and some pieces required custom fabrication. The cowling support was a notable PITA, but is painted now and ready to go back on when the hardware comes through.

The deck needs some touch up paint and I had to replace a bronze bushing after the fact. The bushing is not shown in any diagrams and probably wasn't meant to be replaced, but I managed to cut off the old one with a Dremel tool and install a generic new one that works. Only one (the center) spindle is together because I found out late that the other two will need different style bearing protectors. I have to get an address in MO and have them shipped there (along with some other pieces), seeing as how my time in KS is almost through.

The tractor is in for minor paint touch up as well (orange) and to have the decals installed. There are some decals I still need to have made once I can get the right reference material. The engine and diff are both full of fresh oil and the wiring is done minus the batttery cables (another hold up). I plan to run the engine in with the PTO not installed so I can make sure the front oil seal is tight.

This thing has been a challenge, and I've learned that I can't work on a set timeline no matter how hard I try. Hoping to have it wrapped up before fall.....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2283 small.jpg
  • IMG_2377 small.jpg
  • IMG_2380 small.jpg
  • IMG_2383 small.jpg
  • IMG_2382 small.jpg
  • deck bushing small.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#27 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 05:43 PM

Boy, You have really done a nice job on this restoration. The paint and decals look great.

Fantastic work !! :thumbs:

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 06:07 PM

That is looking real good. Sorry to hear of the move and parts being slow to arrive. What part of Missouri are you headed to?

#29 relic7680 OFFLINE  

relic7680

• 29 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 07:44 AM

Going to Lebanon in Laclede county....

• KennyP said thank you

#30 relic7680 OFFLINE  

relic7680

• 29 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:08 PM

Decals and touch up paint are nearly complete at this stage, although I will be on the hunt for a few decal references after the rest of the project is done. My buddy with the shop in Kansas has really come through, letting me store the thing there at no additional charge and also finishing the fabrication of the cylinder head stud spacers.

I recently acquired another deck (early model) from a member here and sat it in my farm shed.....last parts for the project deck (still mostly in KS) are on order from Messick's New Holland. The last (hopefully) of the bolts and nuts for the cylinder head should be in next week. I just bought the lug crimper off Ebay to finish the battery and starter cables (that are still in KS).

My new job is taking all my time and I have to remind myself that the Jake won't finish itself, even with the professional help.

Attached Thumbnails

• image(1).jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • dash small.jpg
  • 1972 deck small.jpg