Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I need everyones opinion! LOOK AT THIS MOWER DECK!!!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 02:39 PM

Now this just me , But i would BE MAD AS HELL IN THAT FEW HRS. Spending that kind of money for what i call pure junk. Don't understand any dealer or co. that would'nt want to do the right ting and replace the deck. Just a old man that wants what i pay for.

#17 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 08:11 PM

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one. Seems to me that the OP has had enough time to contact the dealer and get his reaction on the paint loss.

#18 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 06:21 AM

Sorry, I was supposed to stop at the dealer monday, but then my dad called me at work and I had to go rescue him because his truck got rearended by a nfta bus and he jumped out of the bus because the guy didnt stop(hit and run) and he somehow locked his keys in his truck during the process. so I spent my night trying to get my dads spare set of keys to him(alot of driving). Tuesday I had a dentist appt., so I will haft to stop today at the dealer. The dealer isnt open late nights so I haft to go directly there after work. I did take some pics last night of my dads john deere sabre deck with 40.3 hrs on it and not a spec of paint missing, just some grass stains.

#19 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 09:18 AM

Wow..... at least your dad is OK. That's the positive note. As they say, life is what's happening to you while you are busy making plans and your past couple of days certainly puts a nail into that old adage. Let us know how you make out with the dealer. Try not to be too hard on him. After all, he just sells the stuff. He doesn't make it.

#20 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 06:27 PM

well, didn't make it there today either. My fiance got a bug bite memorial day weekend. She came up to me this morning and it was swollen with a big red patch around it. So we went to work and it started hurting her. So I just got back from the emergency room. My week has been great so far!!!! She has an infection but will be ok, and has to take medicine for 7 days. I did call the dealer though while I waited for her at the e.r.. The guy I deal with always treats me well. I explianed my week, and told him about the deck. He took my number and said He will call cub cadet, and dont worry he will take care of it. I didn't here back from him today. I called at 5:15 and they close at 6, so he probably got busy. Hopefully I will hear from him tomorow.

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 17, 2010 - 10:32 AM

Did you happen to hear back from the dealer yet Fonz?

#22 jacobexp OFFLINE  

jacobexp

• Member No: 661
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 17, 2010 - 09:56 PM

I'd wire brush all of the paint off and have it professionally teflon coated. That would be better than any factory paint. On a side note if you spray white lithium grease, or silicone based spray lubricant on the underside of a clean deck before each season, the grass falls of just rinsing with a garden hose in the fall.

#23 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 18, 2010 - 07:09 AM

The underside of a mowing deck is likely the harshest environment that any coating will face. I don't know of any manufacturer of OPE that does not use high lift blades that are shaped to act like fans so that they can do two things. The primary purpose is to literally suck the blades of grass into a vertical position so that they can be cut evenly. The second purpose is to create a substantial air turbulence under the deck so that clippings can then be directed toward the discharge chute by the baffling of the deck.

If only grass clippings were in this swirl of high speed air, then paint wouldn't have such a tough time. But there are all kinds of other stuff that get's mixed in with the clippings. Sandy soils are the worst. Anyone with sandy soils has to constantly sharpen their blades and blades don't last long. Sand is highly abrasive which is why we use it to blast things clean. In essence, that's what's happening to the underside of a deck. It's being sand blasted, pebble blasted, dirt blasted, twig blasted and blasted by everything else that falls on lawns. Acorns, pine needles and so on, all contribute to paint loss. I don't know of a single coating that will withstand this constant assault and that includes teflon, Pam, spray lubes or grease.

As annoying as the flaking paint is on a $2000.00 machine or a $20,000.00 one, the fact remains that underdeck paint will not survive. Sooner or later, it will be removed by the blasting action created by the blades.

#24 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted June 19, 2010 - 12:33 PM

ok guys, sorry I havent been back. As I posted above my fiance got a bug bite on memorial day, she got very sick and has been pretty much bed ridden since for a week and a half. Ive been very busy taking her to doctors, and taking care of her. Turns out she probably has lyme desease. she got blood work done(waiting for results) and they gave her medicine. She has had terrible migranes and couldnt hold any food down. she went to a migrane clinic thursday afternoon and they put her on a i.v. to pump medicine into her. Well finally yesterday(friday)she was feeling better. She was out of bed and watching tv. Today she is even better. Now enough fiance talk. Tractor time!! The dealer is going to replace the shell for me. Also some grease fittings have pulled out, and some wont take grease. Cub uses stupid press in grease fittings and I haven't had good luck with them. The dealer is going to call me when the shell is in. For now he said to install the deck and keep mowing.

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 19, 2010 - 02:25 PM

Hope Your fiance continues to feel better....

Good to hear your deck is going to be replaced :thumbs:

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted July 07, 2010 - 11:46 PM

I "inherited" my dad's 2004 GT5000 last year. He mows 4+ hrs every week. The deck is still in GREAT shape. Should last me forever with my postage stamp lawn. I did finally decide to wire brush & oil coat it last fall as I was getting a little corrosion around the quills. Haven't put it on yet this year as my son broke his video game (He doesn't think it was his fault... it just quit... after it fell out of his bunkbed) and he pushmowing his way to paying off his loan from dad. 21" per lap. This is "Character Building" - not "Child Labor". LOL

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 04:26 AM

Haven't put it on yet this year as my son broke his video game (He doesn't think it was his fault... it just quit... after it fell out of his bunkbed) and he pushmowing his way to paying off his loan from dad. 21" per lap. This is "Character Building" - not "Child Labor". LOL

:bigrofl: I love child labor..... errr I mean "Character Building" ya that's it, I tell the wife all the time it is to prep them for adult life.

Welcome to GTtalk MH
  • MH81 said thank you