Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I need everyones opinion! LOOK AT THIS MOWER DECK!!!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted June 05, 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hello everyone I posted this here because I need the opinions of all different tractor brand owners. Late last fall I searched for a high quality garden tractor. I was torn between the j.d x540 and the cub cadet gt3200. Well the j.d. was more money and belt driven so I went with the shaft driven cub. Well I mowed with it 2 times before winter for a total of 4.3 hrs on the clock. I removed the deck scrapped the grass with a plastic scrapper, then simple greened the whole deck and washed it before winter. It came out perfectly clean! Last night I decided to pull the deck to clean it again. The tractor currently has 10.8 hrs. I started removing the heavy grass with my plastic scrapper. As im removing the grass the paint begins to come off with it in all sizes shapes and forms!Posted Image So I continued to remove grass, and the paint continued to remove itself from the deck. So im pretty pissed at this point. My$7200 gt with 10 hours that was supposed to last me 20yrs(I take extremly good care of my things) is falling apart, and if the deck continues this way I will be lucky to get 5yrs out of the deck. So I cleaned the deck fully and noticed that there is no primer under the paint(pic), the paint is thinner than paper(pic), and the bare steal looks fish-eyed, like it wasn't properly prepped before painting(pic). I have rust forming in multiple spots(pic). Im glad I used my garden hose(i have a well which pushes 45psi out)because if I had a pressure washer I would have no paint left to speak of. Currently the deck is clean, off the tractor, and I can still peel paint flakes off all over(pic). My feeling is that the deck was poorly done and I'm going to the dealer monday and demanding a replacement. My dad has a john deere sabre with more hours, he paid $3500 for it and his paint is still on his deck. I understand the paint will wear off after time, but falling off doesn't seem right to me. I can't put it back on like it is and I dont feel I should haft to repair and repaint a deck every 10 hrs of mowing. What does everyone think?? PLEASE HELP!!

Attached Thumbnails

• paint flake on bu.jpg
  • shoot side..jpg
  • peeling paint wi.jpg
  • closed deck side .jpg
  • metal bare and fi&.jpg
  • whole clean unde.jpg
  • paint peeling..jpg
  • closed deck side..jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 05, 2010 - 08:49 PM

I would definitely take it to the dealer. Appears totally improperly prepped for paint. No primer at all. Looks like corrosion started UNDER the paint, causing the paint to peel off. They should swap out for a new deck.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted June 05, 2010 - 08:50 PM

I can say that for a deck only having 10 hours on it. The paint should not be peeling off like that.
Something was definietly done the wrong way.
I'd take it to the dealer and show them and ask for a replacement.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 05, 2010 - 08:54 PM

As you get more replies, and I'm sure they will all be on your side, I'd definitely start out "requesting" a new deck, then if you have to...demand it. You should print all the responses you get here also, as they may help.

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted June 05, 2010 - 09:17 PM

Like Daniel said, It doesn't look to me like it was properly prepared and no evidence of primer. Might have had oil on the surface of the steel yet when they painted it. I'd take it back to the dealer and see if they would replace the deck.

#6 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 02:00 AM

I agree, the deck had to be improperly prepped and its a poor job! For some reason some members at the mtf forum dont feel the same??? I agree paint will eventually wear off but not at 10hrs. Heck my dads j.d. sabre's deck still has all its paint at 40.3hrs. and i take care of my stuff much better than he does. Now I guess the question is what do I do if the dealer says any deck we give you will do the same thing that is normal?!?!?!? I don't think I can except that answer. I have proof a $3000 tractor is better quality than a $7,000 machine. People on mtf are picking on me because its only a deck, and I've deemed the whole tractor as low qaulity, well I bought it to cut grass, and i think they are made mostly to perform the grass cutting task. If all there decks are painted the same way and are gonna fall apart while doing its main task then to me the whole tractor is poor quality and not of any use to me.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 06:15 AM

I wouldn't rule the whole tractor as lower quality because of the deck. The deck as well as many other pieces were made by outsourced manufacturers. I definitely think you need to bring it to the dealers attention and hopefully they will replace it but if they give you an answer you don't want to hear the only thing you can do is to make it better yourself. I know you feel you shouldn't have to do that but in a way I know I would rather do it myself then I know it is done right. If the deck cuts great you can strip it down and have a local powder coater coat it for you which will last so much longer then what a replacement deck would.

Like i said I would check with the dealer first, if they won't replace the deck maybe see if they will split the costs on having the current one re-coated.

On another note:
I can't believe mtf isn't on the dirty word filter either yet LOL, I wouldn't expect anything different from what you posted.

#8 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 07:53 AM

No matter who, or what forum, the answer comes from, paint should not be coming off of a new product. Makes me wonder if the problem will eventually happen to the top of the deck also.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 08:24 AM

Is this Cadet an MTD product? If so, it supports the nickname "made to die". I've never tried it but I hear that the Rhino lining they use in pick-up beds works good under decks and helps keep the grass from sticking. I'd see what the dealer has to say but in the long run you may be better off doing it yourself and making it better than new!

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 08:26 AM

Well Fonz,I bought a brand new 3235 Cub Cadet in 2006,and in just a few hours ( 15-20 ),the paint was peeling off of mine too.I went to the dealer and told them about the problem and they told me :It's the acid in the grass,they all do it.Now I know better than that but I dropped the issue.I went home,cleaned it all up,sanded it and repainted it with urethane paint with hardener and called it done.I just figured it would be a long drawn out affair to try to get them to do something.
Anyway,I don't think yours is an isolated case.

#11 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 08:37 AM

Yea thats what Im worried about also. Some of the peeling is very close to the lip of the deck. While I was cleaning I was very careful to stay away from those areas. Alot of people are saying that its gonna happen eventually so just get over it, refinish it yourself and be done with it. Here is my issue with that. My dads j.d. sabre has 40hrs on it and all his paint is still there, every year he removes the deck and cleans it. He hasn't had to recoat, repaint, sanblast, or powdercoat anything, My deck at 10 hrs has rust formed, probably slightly pitted, and needs to be redone. Basically, my deck has aged, or already started to rust and has the appearence of a deck with 50 to 60 hrs. The rest of the machine could still pass as a new showroom floor model its so clean. I hope the dealer will straighten it out tomorow because I haft to cut grass again soon!

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 08:41 AM

My Kubota GR2110 now has 115 hours on it and except for some scratches under it,the paint is just as good as new.

#13 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 08:53 AM

I would agree that the paint should not flake off like that after a mere 10 hours of use. Perhaps, MTD chooses to not prep the underside of their decks in the same manner as the exterior of their decks prior to painting. Most manufacturers use powder coat paint for a number of reasons including environmental ones. The use of primer isn't a guarantee of quality. As a Case collector/restorer, I can tell you that Case never used primer under their paint that I've ever been made aware of but they managed to get paint to stick to steel very well.

I understand that you are thoroughly pissed, especially in light of what you paid for the machine. However the old adage about not pissing in the wind does come to mind. By all means, take the deck to the dealer and see what he says but don't be surprised if you don't get a replacement deck. At best, the dealer may offer to refinish your deck at no cost and hope that MTD will pay him to do so but MTD doesn't have the greatest reputation for customer service. As many others will tell you, the Cub Cadet you bought isn't the same sort of quality that the Cub Cadet's were when IH was either making them or controlling how they were made after they sold out that line to MTD.

If it was me, I wouldn't waste my time and energy trying to get satisfaction from MTD. Instead, I'd use the deck for the season and then dismantle it totally in the off season for sandblasting and repainting. I'd also give serious consideration to the Rhino coating on the underside.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 09:03 AM

If they do give you a new deck, sad to say, but may do the same thing. If it does, then your best option is to redo the deck yourself. After that, you can do your shopping with another brand. The one guy over at the other site must think he impresses with his glorious expressions of wisdom. I can live without those type of replies.

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 09:10 AM

Yeah, lack of primer was one thing I noticed about mine.