#31 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Here is a pic of my landscape trailer.I was think about selling to upgrade to a smaller enclosed for my business.

Attached Thumbnails

• trailer 10-2011 001.JPG
  • trailer 10-2011 002.JPG
  • trailer 10-2011 003.JPG

#32 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 07:42 PM

wvbuzzmaster; I put a cross support every two feet. How many do you suggest?

I would add one in between all the ones you have, 1 foot spacing. It will add some weight unfortunately, but I think it will need it. I think you should walk up it and see what happens and sags out first.

#33 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 08:55 PM

...more cross supports because that mesh isn't that sturdy.

wvbuzzmaster; I put a cross support every two feet. How many do you suggest?

I can understand where Casey's coming from. The expanded metal is a little on the soft side. That being said, if you weld the sides at every joint, it will be fairly sturdy. Over time, it will start to sag where the tire treads go up and down because it's soft steel, but you can always replace it when that happens. Just inspect them every so often and make sure that the side welds are holding. I would personally not make them any heavier than they need to be, but then I'm not getting any younger LOL.

#34 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I can understand where Casey's coming from. The expanded metal is a little on the soft side. That being said, if you weld the sides at every joint, it will be fairly sturdy. Over time, it will start to sag where the tire treads go up and down because it's soft steel, but you can always replace it when that happens. Just inspect them every so often and make sure that the side welds are holding. I would personally not make them any heavier than they need to be, but then I'm not getting any younger LOL.

I had to take the ramps off my trailer and throw them in the bed when buying something.The seller watched me take both off, pick one up and throw it over the side of the truck into the bed, so he grabbed the other ramp and I heard "HOLY CRAP!!" followed by the sound of steel dragging across gravel. I couldn't help but laugh. :bigrofl:
  • maddhorse said thank you

#35 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 05:41 AM

ramp close up.jpg I have tacked down each diamond of the expanded steel and walked up and down the ramp several times. These are the first ramps I have built and so when I finished that first one I was making tractor noise’s and went up down up down, Rrrrrrrr…….. shift, Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr………..
It has a little punk in between each cross piece, I will be adding some steel. I also need to figure a way to mount the ramps to the side towards the front. Some type of ladder rack thing. I was going to slide them underneath but I want to keep the ground clearance. I haul a few logs here and there. Thanks for the heads up though!

Edited by maddhorse, February 23, 2012 - 05:49 AM.

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:34 AM

One thing to think about. IF the expanded metal gave when loading, the tire would drop into that 2' hole some. Could get scary. Plus more cross pieces will keep the expanded from deforming.

#37 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:41 AM

Plus more cross pieces will keep the expanded from deforming.

I would agree with that. :thumbs:

#38 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 07:41 AM

Madhorse,
This the best photo I could find this morning of the ramps on my car trailer. They are built about the same as yours except I added a center piece of square tube from front to rear. I also added another short piece of square tube at each end that extends 6" past the end of the ramps and use this piece to mount the ramps on the side of the trailer in the stake pockets.

I try to get out to the SIL's today to get a better photo.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2006-01-05 Farmall right rear wheel.jpg

#39 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 11:15 AM

Kenny and wwBuzzmaster thanks for the advice I will be working on ramps tomorow, we are suposed to get a bunch of snow so that will be a good inside project to wrap up.Tinkerer or any one have ideas on how to mount these ramps on the sides? I am thinking of a ladder rack type of thing, not sure just yet though.

Edited by maddhorse, February 23, 2012 - 11:18 AM.

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#40 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Josh I like your trailer and its for sale? I added extra bracing to the ramps so now it has a cross support every foot. I made the extras out of bedrails, not as heavy but I think it will do the job. It does feel a lot more ridged with that extra added to it.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#41 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Yeah thinking about getting another enclosed for the business my dad and I are starting.

#42 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Maddhorse,

What about welding three pieces of "u" channel to the bottom, inside edges of your ramps, so that they will hang on your side rails of your trailer, located in between the fenders and the front corner of your trailer? You could drill holes through the "u" channels and the top rail of your side rails, and lock them down with a locking pin for transportation or storage. I know you stated your ramps are 8' long, and I don't know what the distance is between your fenders and the front corners of your trailer are, but if it's long enough, this would be a good location, so you wouldn't have to build a rack.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by johndeereelfman, February 25, 2012 - 10:04 PM.

• maddhorse said thank you

#43 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:42 AM

More Elfinmagic!! Thanks, that is a great idea. I was stuck on building a rack low and outside from the fender to the front. I dont know the exact distance it is from the fender to the front but it is a little more than 8'. I am glad I waited, my intention was to start that yesterday but I am having trouble with the 140.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#44 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 10:13 PM

I've seen a couple of trailers where the ramps slide in underneath. Not sure how practical it is or how well they work...it would seem to me that road grime and salt would make them stick a fair bit, and I'm too old to be crawling around under a low trailer trying to get the ramps to move...but it does get them out of the way for transport.

#45 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Reverend I want to keep a good ground clearance so under will not work. I like Elfinmagic's idea I just need to come up with some channel with 2" depth. I have iner measurements of 4 3/4" x 3/4"