coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:05 AM

Decide what level of restoration you are going for and what you are going to do with it once complete. If its going to be 100% original do you really want to put it into the garden? JDelfmans restorations are amazing in detail, alot of hard work and thought has gone into his work. I would not even consider hooking up a plow to one of his. Mine on the other hand are for use, I have not gone into the detail that he has. I am happy with the level that i have achieved, it matches my intended outcome. Make sure yours does too.
  • mjodrey, caseguy, tractorgarden and 1 other said thanks

#17 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:39 AM

You make a very good point Coldone! I did a complete disassemble restore on my Brinly plow, only to take it out and grind all the paint off of the moldboard, share, and landside! I do clean it up after use and I'm confident that the fresh paint in between the parts will keep them from wasting away. But in hind sight, I didn't need to be as fussy over those parts as I was. Thanks for giving the idea a voice!
  • tractorgarden and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#18 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 12:34 AM

Dont rush the paint job!!! I think that the paint job is one of the most important aspects of a restore. take your time when stripping and prepping your parts. At this point in the restore was the hardest for me, I was biting at the bit to put that new paint on and see how nice it looked even though I new I should do more prep work. I am glad the guys at gtt encouraged me to keep prepping and be patient. If done right, your tractor will look new for many years. If done wrong,,,,, well you get the idea.
  • tractorgarden and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#19 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Dont rush the paint job!!! I think that the paint job is one of the most important aspects of a restore. take your time when stripping and prepping your parts. At this point in the restore was the hardest for me, I was biting at the bit to put that new paint on and see how nice it looked even though I new I should do more prep work. I am glad the guys at gtt encouraged me to keep prepping and be patient. If done right, your tractor will look new for many years. If done wrong,,,,, well you get the idea.

I agree, Take your time in prepping your surface. Pay attention to paint chips in base paint, it is fairly easy to get the chips feathered smooth in the large flat areas, the edges and areas that are hard to get to often show your lack of detail.On the other hand it is your tractor, Paint is for rust prevention first, looks second. If you want it to shine,Take your time! Shawn
  • coldone and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#20 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Speaking of paint, make sure you let each coat dry in between coats. Just because the can says that parts can be handled in about 30 minutes, don't think it's time to apply the final finish coat. I like to let my parts dry at least overnight, or a full 24-48 hours, and that is just with primer. When starting to apply the finish coats, I will let the paint dry 2-3 days between coats, just to give me the satisfaction of knowing that each coat is set up. I've tried rushing paint, by applying a heavy coat of primer, and then four hours later, starting a finish coat, only to end up with either cracking or real heavy orange peel texture.

Something else to consider when painting, and that is, apply heavier coats to areas that will get the most abuse, such as seat pans, hitch plates, foot treads or foot rests, gas tanks, and fenders. These are areas that will be constantly getting something rubbing against the finish, like the soles of your shoes, your work gloves, tree branches, gasoline, etc. So applying three, four or five more coats extra to these parts, will not hurt. I'm not talking about making it look like the paint is 1/4" thick, but just a little heavier than you applied to the other, non effected parts.

One more thing I recommend, then I'm done, and that is, I don't apply wax to the tractor, until after the tractor paint has set up for at least 3 weeks, when done. I also don't apply wax until after all decals are applied. I've tried applying decals to waxed parts, and was really disappointed with the end results, as after a while, from sitting out in the hot sun, the decals eventually start to peel, or sometimes even flake. I've been told by my decal guy, that the wax under the decal, will get hot, and the decal acts like an oven, and holds the heat, which dries out the decal backing. Applying the wax over top of the decal, doesn't effect the adhesion of the decal, since the wax isn't in contact with the glue. Just be careful though, as some decals will lose their color finish when in contact with certain waxes.
  • coldone and tractorgarden have said thanks

#21 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:27 PM

On the subject of painting. If you dont have patience then you dont have a great paint job. Well, i dont have the patience for it or the time. For those of us with younger families, kids and other "life' commitments have a way of taking away your time to do a job right. Dont get upset about it, I used to. My wife had a "talk" with me one day and explained that she didnt mind my hobby but she didnt like the attitude I got with it. Since the "talk" I have come to understand that there is no reason to be in a hurry. The only reason for hurrying is when you put dead lines on yourself.

I found that I was taking on too many projects at once and that in the middle of these something else would break or not work like its supposed to. So YOU just end up adding more to YOUR list of stuff to do. Soon you are over whelmed with it and you want to get some of it done. Learn to take it in stride. Yes things are going to come up, yes they are not going to work out everytime, yes YOU are going to have to prioritize. Deal with it and dont be a grump about it. Talk to your spouse, keep them in the loop, let them now that you have hit a stumbling block. As you can tell, my wife really isnt into the GT hobby but she sees what i go through and has started to pride in what I have accomplished. She has started to get excited when i bring one back from the dead. She might not know its a Snapper whatever, whatever, but she smiles when I do about it.

YMMV
  • CASENUT, tractorgarden and johndeereelfman have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tips