34 replies to this topic

#31 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 12:07 PM

That is a good idea.But all of use are still learning as we go along.None of use will ever no it all.That is what makes it fun is to learn as we go along in this hobby.There is still a lot of history on these gt that still is being discovered.later Josh
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#32 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:26 AM

I learned a long time ago that I'm not the smartest person. The "GT" knowledge and working skills of many people on this site is truly amazing to me! I wasn't aware of the mistakes in the book. I do know one thing, though... I love garden tractors! I guess I feel kind of bad, because this is one of my favorite books, and I've spent a lot of hours looking at it. I particularly enjoy the photos of the older tractors - some of which I had never seen or heard of. I just consider this as one of my dream books. Maybe that sounds stupid to some. Like I said, I'm not the smartest.
  • Bolens 1000, tractorchick, josh deaven and 1 other said thanks

#33 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,469 Thanks
  • 17,093 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Glad to see you back on here and posting Bill! :bounce:

#34 drbish OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,140 Thanks
  • 1,143 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 03:35 PM

I have looked all over for the book by Dave Bass but have had no luck,is it still in print?

#35 tractorchick OFFLINE  

• Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 284
  • 359 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have the book and I have to say that I personally liked it. I was not aware of all the inaccuracies in the book but I think the book was meant to be more of a book to just touch on each brand and not to be an in depth history. As been said above to each their own on opinions on it. Personally I learned things from it that I didn't know and even brands I am not sure I knew existed.

As Josh said Hank is the editor of Grit magazine. I gotta disagree with you a little bit on one statement Josh. Hank is not a "Cub" guy, he's an "IH" guy. He has wrote several books, most of them being on IH tractors or equipment. The two books on cub cadets, a book on the IH construction equipment division, a book on the IH F-series tractors, the book in question and I believe there are a few more and he used to write columns in Red Power magazine. I have met Hank several times and he even signed my copy of "Cub Cadets, the first 45 years". At one time he was going to do a write up of our farm and the IH equipment we use on it for Red Power magazine. It's a shame so many don't like his book as he is one heck of a nice guy.

I agree with Tractorholic. Hank is a heck of a nice guy. This book is really a nice book to have, and I have it in my collection as well. Yes, it was printed in china, but most trade book are. Hank was really on a tight time frame with this book and really, at the time of print there was not a huge following of garden tractor collectors as there are now. Knowing Hank and the kind of guy he is, I am just proud of the fact that he give the garden tractors the recognition that most high-profile editors would not do. I totally recommend the book. When LAGT sold them we couldn't keep it in stock. From what I hear, Green Magazine is selling the latest Cub Cadet book like hotcakes.
  • Bill56, josh deaven and tractorgarden have said thanks