34 replies to this topic

#16 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,533 Thanks
  • 3,781 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Travis, Welcome to GTTalk and thanks for your post on the book.
Thanks for the book review guys.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#17 timtractor OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 10:30 AM

After reading all these post I not sure what to say. I have the book and enjoyed it. Even if there is errors. At least there was someone out there that published a book about lawn mowers.

If you are soo disgusted with the book then I would say you better send it on to someone else that would appreciate it more, it is nice just looking at the pictures. As for the lack of information, the book would weigh 50 pounds if he was going to be able to cover all brands of lawn and garden companys and give a good explaning each in detail.
  • tractorgarden and Delmar have said thanks

#18 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hey Guys, I feel this is a great book to have.It give enough basic info on a variety of tractors.There is still a lot of people that do not have computers or that do not want to be involved on gt forums.Yes there are mistake in the book.But there is still alot of tractors that info is still being found.Oscar(Hank)Will and I have talked a few times about curtain tractors.He did the best he could with the info he had.It is alway easy to put someone down.But it is not always easy writing stories on Gt tractors.Trust me I know how hard it is to write about gts and make it make sense.Later Josh

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,336 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 01:01 PM

I have it & lay it out on the table at the shows I go to.
It gives people a reason to stop and from there I can extol the virtues of GTTalk.

#20 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,424 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 01:35 PM

Well i can see this is a hot topic, but i have to agree with Casey, that this is a not the best book on garden tractors. I got one a few yrs back and thought it was going to be something fresh, but was mostly disappointed in the content. I would say however if you didnt have any book on tractors then it might be something for the begineer, and i do like the fact that its a hardbound book. If one was to go out and find books by Allan King or Dave Baas, you would get a lot deeper outlook and something that covers more models.

One of the problems i see in writing a book about the tractors is there are two differnt time periods that need to be addressed. The first is tractors before 1960, and the other from 1960 and up. The whole use and thought of the machines changed at this time, with the makers going from something people needed to grow food, to something people needed to cut grass. Heavy gear reduction was replaced by high hp motors. Tractor went from crude iron hulks, to sleek fast racecars. Things that took all day to do, suddenly took only hours or mins to finish. By the end ofthe 70's, tractors became mostly riding lawn mowers with few doing much more than mowing, pushing snow, and hauling away the trash.

I dont think one could make a book today that would cover enough tractors in one volume. I find this ok with me, as i dont really care about most of the stuff built after 1965 anyway. I think maybe that this book was to large a project and tried to cover to wide an area to be able to go into the details and backgrounds that would make an all encompassing volume. Perhaps something written in a series, covering just a decade at a time, would have better serviced the collectors.
  • wvbuzzmaster and tractorgarden have said thanks

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 05:15 PM

I was never meaning to put anyone down, just the book. As lauber said, the author went too wide trying to include every brand and era that he failed to do much more than mention each brand and move on... I was more disappointed in reading the index and finding Springfield and MotoMower in the index only to find them only mentioned in not much more than a couple sentences each, and even those were incorrect... I would rather have seen him hit the top 10 brands and devote more energy trying to get more information, check the facts, and move on. It would have made a much better book that would be informative, and possibly helpful to the beginner. I haven't touched the book in two years, but if I remember correctly, the extent of the passages were not much more than you could learn from going to one tractor show. And that is hit & miss accuracy of the stories.

The ONLY redeeming thing about the book was it had a great looking cover... and that is what gets it off the shelf and out the door...
  • tractorgarden and chris m have said thanks

#22 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hank Will has wrote 2 books on cub cadets.He is really cub guy.later Josh

#23 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:45 PM

I have not read this book but will keep my eyes open for one used or at the library. Nothing personal in the following comments, just my 2 cents worth. As an avid reader though I think it is interesting that this book has brought out both good and bad comments. One problem is ANYBODY can write a book nowadays and get it published, with or without inaccuracies. A good book, just like a good movie, song, car model, etc., can stir up strong feelings in some people whether they are good or bad feelings. To those that enjoy the book (any book) and its contents, keep it and enjoy it. To those that dont like the book (any book), pass it on, re-gift it, donate it to your local library or retirement home, someone else may gain the joy that you did not, and karma can be a good thing :smilewink:

OK maybe that was 4 cents worth
  • josh deaven, MH81, tractorgarden and 1 other said thanks

#24 CoryG OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5035
  • 42 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 12:33 PM

I have this book, as well. A birthday gift from my wife. I'd give it a 5 out of 10 rating. It gives some good background info for a beginner in the hobby looking to know a little bit about a bunch of different l&G tractor brands, but it doesn't go into great detail about any specific tractor company. It's definitely not a research tool, but a good coffee table read.

#25 Bolens iseki OFFLINE  

Bolens iseki

• Member No: 4828
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 05:29 AM

The book is ok but it would be nice if they put the owners names in the book somewhere and the info they put in was not grate and unorganized.
i woud give a 3 or 4 out of 10 and ther could have ben more pages like the bolens on the 1st bage

#26 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Josh, do you have the titles of those Cub books?

#27 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 02:17 PM

The Latest book is 50 years of Cub Cadet. By Oscar H. Will.I think the other book was on the first 40 years.Plus Hank is writer for the Grit magazine and Historian.Later Josh
  • daytime dave said thank you

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 301 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 04:47 PM

I have the book and found it useful. I wasn't aware that there were so many inaccuracies though. Maybe someone here should make a new book and go into more detail on the brands we all care about! There are probably enough members in this group that would buy one to make it worthwhile.
  • josh deaven and tractorgarden have said thanks

#29 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,341 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 12:44 AM

I have the book and I have to say that I personally liked it. I was not aware of all the inaccuracies in the book but I think the book was meant to be more of a book to just touch on each brand and not to be an in depth history. As been said above to each their own on opinions on it. Personally I learned things from it that I didn't know and even brands I am not sure I knew existed.

As Josh said Hank is the editor of Grit magazine. I gotta disagree with you a little bit on one statement Josh. Hank is not a "Cub" guy, he's an "IH" guy. He has wrote several books, most of them being on IH tractors or equipment. The two books on cub cadets, a book on the IH construction equipment division, a book on the IH F-series tractors, the book in question and I believe there are a few more and he used to write columns in Red Power magazine. I have met Hank several times and he even signed my copy of "Cub Cadets, the first 45 years". At one time he was going to do a write up of our farm and the IH equipment we use on it for Red Power magazine. It's a shame so many don't like his book as he is one heck of a nice guy.
  • tractorchick, josh deaven and tractorgarden have said thanks

#30 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the input from all of you! I do not have the book myself, but I have heard good things about it as well as some criticisms. It's really hard to cover several disparate topics perfectly. I'm sure that some of the sections are spot on.

...Maybe someone here should make a new book and go into more detail on the brands we all care about! There are probably enough members in this group that would buy one to make it worthwhile.

That's a really good idea! It seems that we have a lot of folks here at GTTalk who are an authority on the brands that they collect! i.e. Dan (olcowhand) is quite the guru on the Bush Hogs, Casey (WVbuzzmaster) knows his Springfield's inside and out. We also have some guys who know Wheel Horse, John Deere, and Cub Cadet really well. I think we could come up with something that was not only accurate, but a thorough resource as well. The orchestration would be difficult at best though as well as the selection of "authors" for each section. Too easy to hurt feelings and cause strife where it need not be...Something to think about though!
  • Bill56, josh deaven, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks