44 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Kenny I think you have a good idea. But we are going to have to work on that name for it.
I'm not sure if it would break down in syllables or paragraphs :confuse:

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 20, 2012 - 10:41 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#17 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 11:40 PM

Balancing a tractor on 2 pivot points will just add to the excitement. The rear hitch plate isn't all that wide on some tractors, and all front axles pivot in the middle. You also have to take the rear tires off in order to set it on the stand. If the stand is narrow enough to clear the tires, it won't be wide enough for stability.

It needs more thought.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but safety with over 400 lb that high above ground should be paramount!

Edited by TUDOR, February 20, 2012 - 11:45 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#18 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 12:03 AM

I can see the wisdom of what your trying to do. I don't like working on the ground either. My solution is a work platform 18 inches off the ground. A hand winch on one end to pull disabled machines onto it. The floor is light weight expanded steel so dirt and oil can go through. The other option I use it to hook the chain hoist to the front of the tractor and just stand the machine on end. This really makes it easy to work on the underside of decks. This sounds unorthodox but in fact works quite well. I would empty the fuel tank and remove the battery if your going to lift it too high. I need to replace a seal on my 4 wheeler and it's going vertical while being worked on.
  • KennyP said thank you

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Kenny,A-ONE idea.
  • KennyP said thank you

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 06:14 AM

Balancing a tractor on 2 pivot points will just add to the excitement. The rear hitch plate isn't all that wide on some tractors, and all front axles pivot in the middle. You also have to take the rear tires off in order to set it on the stand. If the stand is narrow enough to clear the tires, it won't be wide enough for stability.

It needs more thought.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but safety with over 400 lb that high above ground should be paramount!

I hear what you are saying. This is just a thought and would take a bit more refinement. I haven't checked what the wheelbase of the tractors yet. I like grnspot's stand a lot, but having at least 3 different brands, I would need a lot of adjustment. At the rear hitch, I thought of having a piece of angle iron for the hitch to sit down on to help steady it, but still have the bolt sticking up. Might see if there is a way to put the front onto the frame instead of the axle. Maybe use a receiver hitch for length adjustments. That sounds a lot better.
Just another bright? idea. and I'm happy for all the comments, even negative. That is why I put this up, needed the pros and cons of the idea. I'll see how close the tractors are from the hitch to the front of the frame, think that would make it a lot safer to work on. What would be nice would be to make this a rotisserie so I could rotate once the engine and body parts were removed. Hmmmmmm? That sounds interesting. I have an old engine stand, just need another for the other end.

I'll work on the name when I get a clearer picture of what I want.

Thanks, everyone for the comments! This may go a different direction.
  • Cvans said thank you

#21 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 06:27 AM

Good idea, in getting it mobile, and off the ground. Didn't someone post about a rotisserie not too long ago?
  • KennyP and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#22 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 06:35 AM

Good idea, in getting it mobile, and off the ground. Didn't someone post about a rotisserie not too long ago?

I saw that post too Will. I'd like to build something combining that with Kennys ideas, but thus far my head gets fuzzy with all the "features" the device should have. I have 2 started, but just "started".

To incorporate the rotisserie, with Kennys"thingy", The "z-frame" of the Massey's make for an added problem of height and centerline of the "swivel" action".

Sorry 'bout the quality this is the best I can do to describe the fuzz in my head.

OK, its getting more clear--NEED SOME HELP- Like Kenny's single-point attachment, I'm thinking of the std. HD trailer jacks )with the round swivel "tube" as the attachment points connected to an adapter for front and back of the frame--(about $30 ea) You could use those as a 90 degree swivel for welding or work UNDER the frame. Each assy has a single vertical post (the jack) attached to a base with 2 legs each with casters.

Attached Files

Edited by Toolpartzman, February 21, 2012 - 07:23 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 07:09 AM

This is what I am using now.

The table is 4' X 6" and 28" high built out of whatever I had on hand with 2 swivel and 2 fixed 4"casters. The ramp is an aluminum tri-fold setup I bought at an online auction, I removed the broken hinges and bolted the three pieces together. I took some 1" diameter roller shafts and drove them into the frame ends, drilled a hole and bolted in place, and welded more 1" shafts across the ends to hang the ramp. I used 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" 1/8" angle to weld to the table that the ramp hangs on. The ramp is stored against the wall when not in use.

The only real problem is the ramp to table angle is pretty steep for mower decks but my Craftsman GT II with snowblower backs up onto it fine. If I want to put something on the table with a mower deck I just back it on as far as possible and use the chain falls to raise the front of the tractor and pull it onto the table with the cable come-along. The come-along is also used to drag dead tractors on if none of my sons or sons-in-law are around to help me push them on and since much of the stuff I put on the table belong to them they don't mind helping out..

Having the tractor up on the table sure helps. If I need to jack up one or both ends of the tractor I roll it under the chain falls and lift it before using the jack stands.

Like me the table is not real pretty but pretty functional.

Attached Thumbnails

• Table ramp 1.JPG
  • Table ramp 4.JPG
  • Table ramp 5.JPG
  • 2011-02-04 Workbird frame_002.jpg

Edited by GTTinkerer, February 21, 2012 - 07:11 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#24 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Looks ok ,Bill,and as long as it works.

#25 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Great ideas guys. Tables are nice, but trying to work on the bottom side of the tractor still has challenges. Guess it depends on what you are doing to it. My main objective is doing a refurbish to the GTV/16. Most of the body parts will be off, including the engine. Tires/wheels will be off also.
I think Lee's pic has possibilities, but keep posting what you folks use. I can see lots of neat things going here already.

#26 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 08:34 AM

It looks like a good idea Kenny.
  • KennyP said thank you

#27 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 08:53 AM

I keep thinking on how it be getting a tractor on a stand would be a challange , have one end have removable risers then maybe some kind of removable ramps with a winch to get the tractors one end up and a floor jack to raise the other end into position , I kind of remember a setup like that for cars , using a floor jack and ramps , I'll see if it's still around , Al
  • KennyP said thank you

#28 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Got a set of ramps, good thought. Also have a big floor jack with the SUV extension. Maybe make a different extension to spread out for stability when lifting a tractor? Time to gather some things and do some more thinking.

#29 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:06 AM

I have a hard time explining things but found what I was thinking of , here' the site , the other thing how about using three sisior jacks for the adjustable risers , they could be mounting on adjustable sliding plates for safety and different raising loactions , Al
http://www.kwiklift....eatures-all.htm
  • KennyP said thank you

#30 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:21 AM

My main thing is getting it up and being able to remove the wheels, then being able to move around if need be.
But, keep the ideas flowing. I'll get something figured out to do what I want.