Jd 455 Snow Plow(Front) Blade (Left/right) Hydr., Cylinder Leak-

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1713
  • 9 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 06:34 PM

took a closer look at why the blade is so 'wobbly', and found the 'angle' cylinder is leaking( externally)
, and i can move the whole blade left to right by hand easily----
also i found no diverter valve by the hydr. lines under the foot rest----
my question is-----is it possible that this model does not have a 'diverter' valve, and that once i replace the faulty cylinder, the blade will stay in the correct position even if force is put upon the blade---(like when i'm pushing snow off to the side, at a slight angle)?
thanks to anyone with a comment on this---

i did try to find any info on how the hydraulic system works---specifically when blade is attached and deck is off, but nothing is very clear---to me anyway---

#2 stevevdg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8610
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 08:27 PM

If the hyd. cyl. is leaking through the rod gland seal, it will definately have to be repaired or replaced. I would start with that.
  • zolt said thank you

#3 zolt OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1713
  • 9 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 02:10 AM

thanks, trip to jd dealer----hope to keep it less than say $150?, or am i dreaming?
again , thanks,

#4 Misterbear OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7904
  • 5 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Zolt, I tried to search for a cylinder kit but could not find the correct part number. Let us know what you find out.
  • zolt said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 11:12 AM

That cylinder may be the same part as the lift cylinder and the same part as the newer JD 4/5x5 series and the 700's. You can look for a used cylinder as well. You don't need the whole kit with the hoses and fittings just the cylinder. It is possible to repair them but you need to cut the cylinder open and then reweld it after repairs. A hydraulic shop may be able to give you a quote on doing that.