• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 18, 2012 - 07:45 PM

so i know the hd field trax are used on the john deere x 5 and 7 series some steiners and probably more tractors. but my questions is how good are they? i was looking at a pair on craigslist and called the guy. he said you dont need chains in snow, but he was selling a pair so he might have been throwing the BS my way.

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Excellent question, pity I can't answer it for you. Given the experience and helpfulness of the folks here though, I bet someone comes along who can answer it.

#3 xshooter ONLINE  

xshooter

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 09:33 PM

I have them on my X728. I don't do any snow work with it but I can say they are great for mowing on hills.

#4 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 18, 2012 - 10:41 PM

ive heard there better for mowing on inclines then ags because ags slide to the left and right more easily then these tires. and usually getting up a wet or damp hill is a pain with regular turfs. maybe i can get a deal on the tires at my local JD dealer since i have 2 brand new 26 12 12 carlisle multi tracs on JD rims.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 07:47 AM

Those are about the best all purpose tire you can get IMO. They get excellent traction on hills for mowing without tearing up the turf. I had a chance to try a friends x748 with a set of those on it and that was one impressive tractor. It powered up hills without hesitation and the tires just seemed to stick to the ground. I think they would be better than turfs in sand or mud but not as good as AG's. For snow removal they are a good choice as well. They have a flat profile like a turf which means they work better with chains. The tread pattern is more aggressive and open then turfs. If I was looking for a general purpose tire that's what i would buy.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 19, 2012 - 08:16 AM

i think thats what im gonna go for. there was a set on ebay practically brand new that only sold for 96 dollars plus 25 to ship and being they were the 24x12-12's someone got a steal. i would have bidded but i was low on the green stuff at the time.