DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Looking good Casey, Thanks for the pics!

:ditto: Good Stuff
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 10:51 PM

In one of the pics you can see the motor behind the front tire, that's as far as I could go with the motor. The studs on the motor would rather turn then loosen. I plan to clean and brush paint the motor where it sits, still wired up lol. I have a lot of spray dust everywhere, should sweep up nicely lol. Took 2 cans of primer (I bought the sandable kind) to cover what I had cleaned up. I am not going to sand the primer I don't think... just go into the finish coat. I know, there are a few pits, but it adds character lol. Besides, most of them are UNDER the batteries lol.

Tomorrow I shall do three things. I will get the brake pedal freed up (should have done that first lol), I will paint the yellow on the frame. And I will start to clean up the battery box (and fenders) hoping to get them primed tomorrow. I think I will need more paint for next weekend.

I will probably try to get the motor cleaned up and remounted this week.

#18 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 11:44 PM

Nice job so far. Keep up the good work.

#19 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 11:51 PM

Great job so far Casey! Keep up the good work! That's a cool unit!

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 11:53 PM

It is kind of nerve racking to have the thing stripped down as far as I have it... Good news is I had made the decision to do it in 2 stages (was 4 but I couldn't justify more than 3 LOL). Stage one was to tear the back half of it apart for cleaning, painting, and transaxle swap. Then when I get the back end put back together I will take the thing out for a drive lol. When that goes well I will pull it back into the shop and drop the mower deck (not going to be using it, but not selling in case I ever want to use it lol). But anyway, stage two is tear the front apart for repainting. Only thing not coming off is the dash/tower and wiring, as you can see. I am not one to tempt fate lol. Still have to put new tires on it, but going to finish the yellow first. Someone needs to visit me to help out lol.

#21 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 12:00 AM

LOL IK the nerve racking part well lol. And I would help if I live just a few hundred miles closer lol (I really would though) You are doing great on it, Ik it looks at times as if you will never get something back together when you see it in pieces all over the shop. But you will get it back together! And you'll see you were nerved up for nothing. :thumbs:

#22 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 12:05 AM

Chris, you weren't here for the Caterpillar (Craftsman GT18) saga. I rewired it in May and fried the magneto... $50... then getting to the old one I fouled up the booster fan... Left that tractor apart for 5 months (for the second time in a year lol). I finally bought the $60 dollar booster fan and put it together... then it was not easy to start... so.. $5 for new spark plugs, $5 for a new fuel filter.. and still not going well. So another $50 got me a carb kit and a can of carb cleaner.. problem solved. Care to add up the total for the rewire (after my initial investment) and then you will understand, because this is the first project after the CAT.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, February 19, 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#23 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 12:15 AM

Lets see ummmmm, I bet the magneto was bad and it caused you to have to rewire! The fan sounds like it was bad already! Plus think on the positive side, you have one nice CAT now! And that was then this is now. You are a PRO now! I can see a Bright Yellow E20 in your future that looks like a million bucks!

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hang in there, Casey! Like to see this part done before fall.

#25 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Casey,thanks for the pics.Looking good so far.

#26 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 01:40 PM

This will look great win you are finshed
those little tractors are neat a guy had one at
the Dover show just kind of strang to watch it
go by and not make a noise

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well, I got a late start today cause I wasn't feeling like working on it much, but decided mabey I should... so... I did...

I went out and proceeded to free up the brake pedal, with PB Blaster, and it was going well aside from PB spatter on some of the primer.. it will clean off. Meanwhile I decided I would pull the pedal and drive the shaf out (now that it was loose) because it was too stiff. Well, the brake interlock switch (doesn't act good) is in the way, and the screw bolts wont turn (might grind off the heads soon). So after that failure I thought, I feel like painting, so decided to hit the thing with a little brake cleaner and wipe it off with a rag, seems like a good idea.........

WARNING: Brake parts cleaner will soften recent paint... and a rag will take that paint right off... like it was never there (but worse)...

So.... the start of losing momentum has begun... it will not get much better today... will be lucky to get it back into primer... and look the same...

#28 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Too bad. Losing momentum is always a bummer. Finish up and start fresh later is my suggestion.

#29 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Well, just got back in from working on it. Ground the heads off the bolts that hold the brake interlock switch and dropped that off. Then I took a block and hammer and removed the shaft (had the pedal off earlier). I then cleaned out more of the corners of the chassis that had flakes I missed, and the pedal area. I then primed the areas I had sanded, so now I am back to par.. plus a little lol. I did find a few more spots I have to work on (rust/loose paint) and then reprime those areas. I guess it will be slow going but if I don't get the rusting loose stuff than the finish coat will look like crap. So... anyway, going to slow down some and pace myself on this project. I think my speed was about to hurt my results.

#30 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Good thinking Casey! Take your time, You are coming along nice! No need to break any speed records. Plus remember you are a life time member on here, so you have all the time in the world to finish this!