Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Spill Proof Gas Cans?

  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31 tractorgarden OFFLINE  


    Junk Whisperer

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts
  • Location: northwest pa

Posted February 18, 2012 - 01:37 PM

Yes the new cans are a pita! Something that may help some of you that have cans without a vent cap,or missing broken vent cap; drill out old plastic vent to the size of the hole (where the valve stem pulls into) in a tubeless tire rim. Insert a valve stem with the core removed,and use the valve cap for your vent. There are also larger size valve stems for bigger holes or opps es! I even do this to the new pita cans! Hope this helps someone! Shawn

The old vented cans came in 2 styles. One had a spout that was molded into the can. The other style had a plastic insert that that was molded separately and plugged into a hole in the can. I have been buying up the second type at flea markets. As well as the first generation of the non-vented cans. It doesn't matter what condition the can is in as long as the vent is intact! You just drill a hole the size of the one that the vent came out of and install it in the new can. That's my solution. I like the one you're using too Shawn, It sounds less challenging than finding the used cans!

TSC has a cable tubless tire valve stem fish, which makes the job alot easier. Shawn