30 replies to this topic

#16 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Sounds to me we need to design one ourselves? Something that works, its cheap, and fits most standard containers. I have about 5 plastic jugs sitting without spouts. I love the idea of a spill proof spout, or at least one that works.

#17 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hey guys, remember these fuel tanks !, when they were built to last, no stupid safety crap,

Thank you. I liked the old metal cans best. Unscrew the top, pour it down the funnel, replace the cap, done.

I'm with most of you, I find the new spouts difficult to master.
  • trowel said thank you

#18 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 10:44 PM

I think the worst part of the new safety valves is that they're so fragile! I bought one last year while we were at our local show. Just through the general handling that a container will receive at an event like that, the plastic lever that actuates the valve self destructed! At that point it was very safe indeed, because i had to take the cap off to get the gas out of it!
  • trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 10:49 PM

I don't know if you guys noticed but not only can you not buy the nozzle separate but each of the cans has a different thread so one won't fit the other much less the old good nozzles to the new cans,...
  • chris m said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 11:27 PM

I bought an adapter set at a flea market one time. Any pour spout to any can, thought I was finally rid of these annoying spouts.

Until I discovered the hard way that they aren't gas OK. About a pour and a half and they more or less dissolved.

I was in TSC a week ago, and they still have the 3 gal metal with the flip lid. May have to go to those

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 11:37 PM

I was in TSC a week ago, and they still have the 3 gal metal with the flip lid. May have to go to those

If you end up buy one of those metal safety fuel cans grab one of the yellow large funnels that clip around the pore spout, i really like thoses funnels, eventually they do break were it hinges like mines did and when that happens you can still use it as a normal funnel.

Edited by trowel, February 17, 2012 - 11:37 PM.

• MH81 and chris m have said thanks

#22 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 12:38 AM

Yes the new cans are a pita! Something that may help some of you that have cans without a vent cap,or missing broken vent cap; drill out old plastic vent to the size of the hole (where the valve stem pulls into) in a tubeless tire rim. Insert a valve stem with the core removed,and use the valve cap for your vent. There are also larger size valve stems for bigger holes or opps es! I even do this to the new pita cans! Hope this helps someone! Shawn
  • KennyP, trowel and Michiganmobileman have said thanks

#23 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 05:31 AM

Hey guys, remember these fuel tanks !, when they were built to last, no stupid safety crap,

I don't like them either,Bring back the "good old days". :D I have a couple of those old steel ones,and there is nothing wrong with how they work.

#24 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 07:57 AM

Yes the new cans are a pita! Something that may help some of you that have cans without a vent cap,or missing broken vent cap; drill out old plastic vent to the size of the hole (where the valve stem pulls into) in a tubeless tire rim. Insert a valve stem with the core removed,and use the valve cap for your vent. There are also larger size valve stems for bigger holes or opps es! I even do this to the new pita cans! Hope this helps someone! Shawn

Excellent idea Shawn! Now where did I see that valve stem........................

edit

Ah Ha, just remembered, brought a bad inner tube home to save the rubber, I am gonna cut that baby up. Thanks again Shawn!!

Edited by Michiganmobileman, February 18, 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#25 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:41 AM

The old vented cans came in 2 styles. One had a spout that was molded into the can. The other style had a plastic insert that that was molded separately and plugged into a hole in the can. I have been buying up the second type at flea markets. As well as the first generation of the non-vented cans. It doesn't matter what condition the can is in as long as the vent is intact! You just drill a hole the size of the one that the vent came out of and install it in the new can. That's my solution. I like the one you're using too Shawn, It sounds less challenging than finding the used cans!
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#26 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'd like a miniature version of the old gravity flow tanks we had on the farm. Just open the valve, squeeze the lever, and fill your tank. If somebody would make a version of that that took standard gas cans, (I don't suppose the bulk fuel truck would want to stop by for the amount of fuel I use) I'd definitely buy it.

#27 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 11:27 AM

i hate those new caps. I still use the old metal ones and the plastic spill ones

#28 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 11:31 AM

What a PITA.
TSC has a nice one. Just can not afford right now.
http://tsc.tractorsu...f=a:brand:blitz

#29 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 11:44 AM

Here is another thought. Just weld in a couple of pipe nipples, add a hose and valve and away you go. 10 psi and you can leave it right on the floor. When we custom picked corn and needed fuel we would bring along a 55 gallon barrel of fuel and an 10 gallon air tank, set a regulator at 3-4 psi NO MORE and it worked great to transfer the fuel to the tractor. Faster than Gravity flow too. Be very careful pressurizing a 55 gallon drum!

#30 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 01:15 PM

I would like to mention that anytime you use a metal gas can it is important to remember static electricity can cause a spark between the can and anything else that is grounded. Metal cans are also prone to corrosion.
One of the things that I didn't like about the newer cans is there is no vent and they tend to pour very slowly. This is a plus when filling a small tank but a real bummer when trying to dump larger amounts. I remedied this by drilling a hole just a little smaller than the diameter of a golf tee into the top of the plastic can behind the handle. When the tee is installed it makes an airtight seal yet is easy to remove when pouring larger amounts.