#1 Misterbear OFFLINE  

Misterbear

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7904
  • 5 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hi All, I have one of them "new spill proof" gas cans with the nozzle that is idiot spill proof. Well I guess I'm an idiot because I could not get the cap off. When it is 20 degree outside and have gloves on they are impossible to remove. In fact I have a hard time with it in the summer without gloves on. I got so frustrated with the nozzle and cap I ended up cutting the end off! Anyone else hate these "great new nozzles"? I bet more people spill more fuel now than with the good ole ones! Have a great evening.

IMG_6018.JPG

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hate them with every fiber in my body, absolute waste of time and money, i miss the old poly tanks with the solid nozzle and simple cap, i use a large funnel originally made for the metal safety cans and unscrew the nozzle all together and pore into the funnel, no spills then,

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Same here I HATE THEM!!!! They either break 1st use, or dripp gas all over everything. I use those spouts just as a cap now and do the same thing as Trowel.
  • trowel said thank you

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:14 PM

But they're better for the environment! (Heavy Sarcasm intended!!!) It used to be that you could buy a 5 gallon can for about $4 or $5. Now you have to buy the high tech spill proof non-vapor releasing pieces of....(you get the idea) and they cost $15 or $20! Which if they worked as they were designed to for more than the first 2 times you use them would be fine, however they start to leak after that and it's worse than the old school ones ever did! Yes, Trowel, I too hate them with every fiber of my being!
  • trowel said thank you

#5 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:19 PM

We have two of the old poly ones that we have had since 2003, lost one vent cap but they are still in good shape. My brother has diesel cans for his Kubota and they have that stupid cap like above.

Everything is made to be a PITB now because we gotta protect the idiots you know.
  • trowel said thank you

#6 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:29 PM

But they're better for the environment! (Heavy Sarcasm intended!!!) It used to be that you could buy a 5 gallon can for about $4 or $5. Now you have to buy the high tech spill proof non-vapor releasing pieces of....(you get the idea) and they cost $15 or $20! Which if they worked as they were designed to for more than the first 2 times you use them would be fine, however they start to leak after that and it's worse than the old school ones ever did! Yes, Trowel, I too hate them with every fiber of my being!

Sad too, $20 for the can and $20 to fill it.
  • trowel said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:34 PM

I hate those type too. And my new 1 gallon jug has the lever also that has a valve in it. At first I hated it even more than the other, but now I kinda like it. You can tilt her upside down & not a drop comes out until I press the lever. VERY nice when first putting gas in a tank recently painted!
  • trowel said thank you

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hey guys, remember these fuel tanks !, when they were built to last, no stupid safety crap,

Attached Thumbnails

• P2170019.JPG
  • P2170020.JPG
  • P2170021.JPG

• daytime dave said thank you

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:49 PM

I hate those type too. And my new 1 gallon jug has the lever also that has a valve in it. At first I hated it even more than the other, but now I kinda like it. You can tilt her upside down & not a drop comes out until I press the lever. VERY nice when first putting gas in a tank recently painted!

i have 3 of thoses tanks, the valve kept breaking redering it useless, no other nozzle will fit it, threads are speical, i liked it at first too, regarding thoses i'll stick with the metal safety cans and a large funnel.

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:49 PM

I cant stand the new Fuel cans

I have about 5 of the old style metal cans trowel posted pictures above that I use.
I refuse to use the new cans.
  • trowel said thank you

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hate them with every fiber in my body, absolute waste of time and money, i miss the old poly tanks with the solid nozzle and simple cap, i use a large funnel originally made for the metal safety cans and unscrew the nozzle all together and pore into the funnel, no spills then,

And I actually thought I was the only one that these new fangled pieces of poor engineering frustrated...What ever happened to letting people think for themselves without some pompus you know what knowing whats better for us...
Bought a whole contingent of funnels of all sizes last summer at an old farm auction helps me deal with the "modern improved containers"
  • trowel said thank you

#12 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I loved the ones with the spring loaded caps. Not only did they do tendon damage as you tried to open them with the handle, but they would leak and drip unstoppably. I suppose they really were safety cans, cause so much gas would spill I stopped filling up inside the shop and would "safely" fill outside.
  • trowel said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:55 PM

How about this for safety ! i backed over it with my truck,......yeh, you read that right, ..right over it like a speed bump and i still use it :thumbs:
The watering can is also a very usefull tank for oil and gas on special kind of work.

Attached Thumbnails

• P2170022.JPG
  • P2170023.JPG
  • P2170024.JPG
  • P2170026.JPG

• daytime dave said thank you

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hey guys, remember these fuel tanks !, when they were built to last, no stupid safety crap,

You can still buy them depending where you go. The place I work sells the nice metal cans. Speaking of which I should pick a couple of them up.
  • trowel said thank you

#15 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 09:35 PM

People sent their kids off to college to become engineers. At college they are not taught any kind of logic. Now they are designing all kind of junk that cost more and still does not work right. Some of them end up working for the government. Now you see the problem.

I worked around 20 years as a design tech and had six months to retrain them how to use logic in the design. One of them ended being the head boss. He told me thanks one day, it helped he as lot.