• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 01:01 PM

What is an air compressor? :bigrofl: You knew it would be coming from me..........again! :laughingteeth:

Oh, now don't start that again.... :thumbs: :rolleyes:

#17 kwj427 OFFLINE  

kwj427

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 389
  • 56 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 02:05 PM

hi guys,
i think i want a cabinet type.
i have several tractors to restore.
my compressor is an IR 7.5 hp 80 gallon tank.
i love the built cabinet, i would love more details on it.
thanks guys
kenny

#18 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 04:28 PM

Kenny (kwj427) I would love to share more details with you, but I didn't really "design" the cabinet. I had an idea about how big I wanted it to be and I just built it to meet those criteria. It's roughly 3' deep, 4' tall at the highest point, and 6' long. The inside is lined with .060" galvanized steel sheet. All the sheet metal was cut and bent with an air shear and a set of hand seamers as I do not own a brake. The frame is made of standard 2X4 dimensional lumber (the legs are pressure treated) and the outer shell is 7/16" OSB. The sheet metal is attached at the seams with 1" taper head sheet metal screws with counter sunk finish washers. The large open areas are glued onto the OSB with PL premium urethane adhesive. The bottom "cone" was made in 4 sections and steel pop-riveted together at the seams. The pop-rivets are only about 1" apart to add a lot of strength. The decking inside is just standard 1" grating supported by a 1" ledge at both ends. I hope that this gives you some ideas. It took about 3 weeks to get it all done, but that was working on it as I was able. As I said above, I'm still working out the dust collector details and will likely post a thread when I come up with a good design. Thanks for your interest! -Steve

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:58 AM

What is an air compressor? :bigrofl: You knew it would be coming from me..........again! :laughingteeth:

I remember that . :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

#20 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Steve, have you tried the "dust trap to water trap" yet? I love mine! Not a bit of dust in the air, plus any media that gets sucked up gets caught in my 5 gallon dry dust trap. The fines go on into the 15 gallon water trap. I have over a gallon of trapped media in my 5 gallon trap now that I need to place back into the cabinet.

#21 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 12:17 PM

No, not yet Dan. I'd like to see some drawings of how it's set up.

#22 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Steve, what did you end up doing for a dust trap system?

#23 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1621
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 10:15 PM

Could you all post a couple more pictures of what you use for the gloves and filtration unit? I am very intrigued by building my own blast cabinet in the basement.

#24 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Steve, what did you end up doing for a dust trap system?

I bought a 6 HP shop vac from Sears. I (again) took your advice and used the two stage filter before the vac. The first stage is dry with an in and an out. The second stage goes through water to catch the fines. There's also a bag in the shop vac to prolong the pleated filter's life. Just an FYI, you do not need the biggest baddest shop vac to perform well! The vac is actually too powerful and pulls most of the large particles right on through to the wet side so I'm not really saving any of what gets pulled through. Another thing that I discovered is that the wet side generates a lot of foam unless you add an anti-surfactant to it. In my case, the metallurgist at work suggested about 5ml of kerosene (That's about a teaspoon). I have about 15 gallons of water in the tank and I though to myself "5ml to 15 gallons??" But the man knows his stuff! It worked like a charm and nixed the foaming completely!
  • MH81 and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#25 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 12:44 PM

I got my cabinet from cyclone manufacturing in dowagiac michigain. They are really nice cabinets that they make themselves and you could get one big enough to blast a frame there. They are not the cheapest to buy though and you need to have a air dryer or you are going to ruin your compressor. Here is a link to their website http://www.cycloneblasters.com/ Jake