kwj427

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 389
  • 56 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 06:42 PM

hi guys?
where can you find a quality sandblaster big enought to do a frame for a garden tractor?
thanks kenny

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 07:18 PM

I will ask a couple of questions, then let the experts chime in.

when you say sand blaster, do you mean open air or cabinet?

How big of an air compressor do you have?

are you looking for pressurized or gravity feed with suction?

I'mm sure I missed something to ask, but that should get us started.
  • kwj427 said thank you

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 07:44 PM

I've seen many used ones on Clist or kijiji, that looked to be not bad. About $200-500
I'm talking about the pressurized pot type, that you'd use outdoors.
That's the cheap, and easy part. You need air, and lots of it, about 15-20 cfm.
Can be done, with less, but you'll get frustrated at rate of production, and if you're
going to be doing alot, you'll kill a smaller compressor sooner.

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 07:54 PM

The size of your compressor like MH81 said, is the most important factor! Every compressor I have owned till now wouldn't handle ANY sandblasting equipment not even the small units. I would have to stop after a few seconds to let the compressor catch up.Northern tools and equipment along with Harbor frieght both have good units.But you have to match the nozzle size to the compressor you are useing. they all work well, I have large and small booths a gravity feed pot a pressure pot and a gravity spotting gun. the gravity pot is the one I use most for frames and large parts. Maybe you know about comressor size already. But I had to mention it because IK ALOT of people that buy sandblasters and are so upset after they find it won't work with there compressor. also if you get a cabinet type, you NEED a dust collector, other wise in 5 seconds you will no longer see the part you are blasting. Hope this helps Chris

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 07:54 PM

I have both a siphon feed and a pressurized blaster. IMHO, a blast cabinet with siphon is the way to go for ease of operation. There's no stopping to fill the hopper! If you have an item that will not fit in your cabinet, it's nice to have a pressurized unit as well. As for the cabinet...I was just at TP tools today and their prices are not easy to swallow. Here is a link to their website. They are by no means the only manufacturer, but they have been at it for a long time.
I personally built my own cabinet. I've attached some pics of it below:

DSCN1518.jpg DSCN1522.jpg

I have about $150 in materials invested in it and it is the equivalent of the models costing around $4500!
And now for the air compressor. (TP sells them as well, as does Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, etc...) Sandblasting is one of the most demanding functions that an air compressor will be subjected to. The one that I have came from a body shop. It's an Ingersol-Rand T30. It has a 7 1/2 HP motor and a high volume 2 stage pump with an 80 gallon tank. It will keep up with constant sandblasting for an extended period. That is not a necessity. Many folks on here use smaller compressors and are happy with their performance. I lucked into mine as my BIL is the manager of the shop and the owner made me a deal I couldn't refuse!
In the picture I had my pressurized blaster hooked up, but Dan (olcowhand) talked me right into turning it into a siphon feed and I couldn't be happier. I have also since changed it over to a foot pedal operated valve which makes things easier yet. And as mentioned above, dust collection is a must! I'm still perfecting that part of mine and I wear a respirator while I'm running it!
  • olcowhand, kwj427 and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#6 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:14 PM

hi guys?
where can you find a quality sandblaster big enought to do a frame for a garden tractor?
thanks kenny

As you can see by the replies---lots to consider and a pretty substantial investment for a single GT frame.- You might consider Electrolysis. It will clean your frame for pennies by comparison.

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:15 PM

I have both a siphon feed and a pressurized blaster. IMHO, a blast cabinet with siphon is the way to go for ease of operation. There's no stopping to fill the hopper! If you have an item that will not fit in your cabinet, it's nice to have a pressurized unit as well. As for the cabinet...I was just at TP tools today and their prices are not easy to swallow. Here is a link to their website. They are by no means the only manufacturer, but they have been at it for a long time.
I personally built my own cabinet. I've attached some pics of it below:

I have about $150 in materials invested in it and it is the equivalent of the models costing around $4500!
And now for the air compressor. (TP sells them as well, as does Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, etc...) Sandblasting is one of the most demanding functions that an air compressor will be subjected to. The one that I have came from a body shop. It's an Ingersol-Rand T30. It has a 7 1/2 HP motor and a high volume 2 stage pump with an 80 gallon tank. It will keep up with constant sandblasting for an extended period. That is not a necessity. Many folks on here use smaller compressors and are happy with their performance. I lucked into mine as my BIL is the manager of the shop and the owner made me a deal I couldn't refuse!
In the picture I had my pressurized blaster hooked up, but Dan (olcowhand) talked me right into turning it into a siphon feed and I couldn't be happier. I have also since changed it over to a foot pedal operated valve which makes things easier yet. And as mentioned above, dust collection is a must! I'm still perfecting that part of mine and I wear a respirator while I'm running it!

Awesome job on that booth!!
  • caseguy said thank you

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Caseguy I like your cabinet! Expecially the price!

I still want a sand blaster cabinet set up .....but as you noted you got to have a big enough air compressor to run it.....

Right now electrolysis is my sand blaster substitute......just got to get more than one tank going so I can get more done in a day.
  • caseguy said thank you

#9 dhiesel OFFLINE  

dhiesel

• Member No: 872
  • 18 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Tactorholic, I do the same, electrolysis. I then use a speed blaster. If i get the play sand as my blast medium and run it through a screen i don't get too many clogs and it seems to help dry the sand in our humidity. It works OK with my old Sears 2HP belt drive compressor.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Steve,nice looking cabinet blaster you have.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 09:42 AM

I just love your hand built cabinet Steve! I just wanted to say, that the reason Steve liked switching from his pot to the siphon feed is because it eliminates the problem with moisture buildup that pots often have issues with. My pot blaster that I use outside, often clogs due to water buildup in the tank, even though my hose outlet has a moisture trap, and then another trap is on the pot itself, and STILL moisture problems.
  • caseguy said thank you

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 10:27 AM

I am working on an air "cooler" type dryer that I hope will greatly reduce the amount of moisture the air will be able to hold on to. It will serve to cool the outlet ait temp while also condensing out some (hopefully most) of the moisture. I still have 2 more traps downline that should work better with cooler air. Fingers crossed!

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Wow, all this talk about air compressors is bringing back memories :D

A big sandblaster is one of the things we need to invest in now that we have an air compressor big enough for one. We also have a lot of other things on the want list like more storage space so I don't know when we will get one.

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 12:22 PM

I just love your hand built cabinet Steve! I just wanted to say, that the reason Steve liked switching from his pot to the siphon feed is because it eliminates the problem with moisture buildup that pots often have issues with. My pot blaster that I use outside, often clogs due to water buildup in the tank, even though my hose outlet has a moisture trap, and then another trap is on the pot itself, and STILL moisture problems.

Yeah,that moisture is bad,always plugging up. I should switch mine over.I'll have to think about that.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 12:29 PM

Wow, all this talk about air compressors is bringing back memories :D

A big sandblaster is one of the things we need to invest in now that we have an air compressor big enough for one. We also have a lot of other things on the want list like more storage space so I don't know when we will get one.

What is an air compressor? :bigrofl: You knew it would be coming from me..........again! :laughingteeth: