Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

St12 Rust Inside Gas Tank ? Best Way To Remove ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Doorman OFFLINE  

Doorman

• Member No: 7187
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'm working on ST 12 and the po had stored it outside and the gas tank has a bunch of rust in it. The filler cap had a broken top on it. I'm looking for ideas on the best way to get out all the rust.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 03:17 PM

There are lots of ways that people have cured this problem. Even if you do plan on coating it with a liner compound, it's best to get it clean first.

Many fellas have used a bunch of extra nuts & washers, tied it to the wheel of another GT & got some seat time. Others have used chemical rust removal. I recently tried electrolysis and it worked for me. About 2/3 thru the thread, member IamSherwood took some before & after pics of his, they say it all.
http://gardentractor...k-electrolysis/
  • Doorman said thank you

#3 Doorman OFFLINE  

Doorman

• Member No: 7187
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 04:07 PM

MH81 Thanks for the electrolysis link. I will have to try that as soon as the weather warms up. I have been told about this method for removing rust but have not tried it. Looking at the pics it appears to be very effective. There is alot of scaling rust in there. I'm sure I can find many other parts to try this on as I go through this project. Doorman