Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Hello! New Member Here. Looking To Get A Snapper 1855 W/ Extras.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MNrivergardener OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8631
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hello, My name is Travis. I am form South Central MN. I have been into gardening for a few years now. I am 27 yrs old. A few years ago I picked up a JD 316 w/ a 36in Hyd. tiller. ( 30 in tiller w/ 6 in. ext. on it) It worked good but once in a while the tiller would just "shut off". I'd flip the pto toggle switch on again and it would fire right back up. The other issue it had was it was very hard to start, 99.9% of the time the starter gear would engage and turn the ring gear ( motor) mabey an inch or so then stop and I'd have to take my hand and wiggle the ring gear. always made a horrable sound when it would stop... Anyways a few months back I had to sell the unit to help pay for some bills. My wife just got done with school and the school loan bills started coming. So it sold. Now she got a good job a few weeks ago and we will be fine. So our agreement was I could get another garden Tractor. Ive been looking around for a while and have one I plan on purchasing. It's a Snapper 1855 w/ the 54in deck, 3pt, and most importaint part a factory 48in pto shaft driven tiller. The price is $1,800 firm. everything works as it should.

Now that I have given a little history of myself and the tractor I sold I had a few questions for you guys on these tractors.

1) First would you concider this a fair deal? from what ive seen tractor/ tiller set ups go for I think it is.

2) Do you know if MF/ Snapper made front weight brackets to attach to the front of the frame to help with steering with the tiller on? ( with the 316 you had to make wide/ slow turns or your tires would slide/ skid across dirt/ grass) If not, Is it something you've seen done ? Or is it one of thoes things where since it wasnt a factory option it probly wasnt ment to be?

3) Will there be any large charactoristic ( sp) differences going from hyd. tiller with rear lever arms to a rear PTO shaft driven? With the hyd. If I got too deep in the dirt or hit a large stump the tines would just stop until I raised the tiller up a little and the belt that the pto is running would squeal ( where the mower deck would normally be) On shaft driven is there shear pins on the shafts like a snowblower ?

Thoes are the only questions I can think of for now. I will be tilling 2 large gardens in my back yard and 3 1/2 Full size city lots that we turned into gardens. so the set up will be getting a good work out. This tractor really looks beefier than the 316 actually and I like the Hi/Low range option the 316 didnt have. I scanned and attached some picts of the 1855. Hopefully the picts go thru.

Thanks for your input and I look foward to being on this board.

Attached Thumbnails

• Snapper 1855.jpg

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 01:56 PM

Welcome Travis. Thanks for the nice introduction you posted. I glad your wife has a new, good job. Jobs are tough these days.

As far as price, the pictures you posted look like a good machine. They came out a bit small for me to see too well. I think if that machine were for sale around upstate NY, that would be a fair price.

I'm sure others will be by with their thoughts soon.

Glad you are here.
  • MNrivergardener said thank you

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,322 Thanks
  • 4,917 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 02:07 PM

Nice to have you on the forum. If that is the tractor I think it is than your price is not out of line. It is in the upper end of what I would spend but that is a big tiller and deck. If it has a two speed differential all the better for tilling.
Let us know if you get it.

#4 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Welcome.Looks like a good tractor.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 03:26 PM

:wave: MNrivergardner! Welcome to GTTalk Travis! Thanks for the great introduction. The pics came out a little small, but it looks to be a solid machine. If it's in good working order I'd say that's a fair price. I would probably make sure that there's nothing major wrong with it before committing, but that would be with any tractor purchase. I'm glad that you and your wife are getting back on your feet. We hope that you enjoy the forum and thanks for signing up!

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,236 Thanks
  • 29,693 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 04:02 PM

These tillers have a slip clutch just like full size tillers & bush hogs. You can set the clutch to slip at desired level. But you don't want it set so tight that the rear pro belts would slip instead. I have the 42" model, but I modified it to 53" cut, and I can dig deep without slippage with the clutch adjusted to prevent burning/slipping the belts. Only a big rock lodging will slip my clutch.
I know of no weight brackets, but you could always fab one up to slip onto the front where the deck hanger attaches. As to the price, if she runs & operates A-1, then I'd say it's a fair deal!

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,275 Thanks
  • 4,031 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 04:31 PM

:welcometogttalk:I don't know anything about that unit. I just wanted to welcome you to GTt! Looks like a nice unit though! I am sure there are people on here that can help you out! Good luck and I hope you get that GT!

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 07:00 PM

It seems like a fair price ,but being in Canada things seem to cost more up here.I haven't had problems with steering with the tiller on and raised only time it likes to slide is when your trying to turn in the garden on the fresh tilled soil. Its a heavy machine and if it's tough tilling it will push the tractor.One thing I've done to save the splined coupler that connects the rear PTO shaft to the motor is I actually remove it once I'am finsihed using the tiller,this way its not always driving the rear shaft. Make sure when you look at it check the mower deck if possible,remove the covers covering the belts and check to see if the pulleys [cogged pulleys] are in good shape The blades are straight in line with each other and use cogged pulleys and belts to keep the blades in time So if there bad Its almost impossible to find new /used ones and are very costly.Some members on here including me have converted the mower decks to beable to use regular v belts etc;Hope this doesn't scare you away from these awesome machines.If you have the skills and mechanical ability to fix stuff these are quite the machines. Larry

#9 dstaggs OFFLINE  

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Welcome glad to have you, Hope you enjoy.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Welcome to GTtalk and great intro. You already got lots of good advice so there isn't really much to add. Is it worth the asking price? Yes. Could you find one cheaper? Possibly, but then you are also waiting and that wait might be a week or it might be a couple years. Those tillers do not come around very often and that it has the 3pt and the tiller definitely sweetens the deal.

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 03:21 PM

Welcome, MNrivergardener!

From my observations on eBay over the past 3 years, that price is 'up there'. The tractor and mower have been a $400 - $1500 item over the past couple of years and one with a tiller and a bunch of other goodies sold for $1100. It all depends on the time of year and who's looking. That is a reasonable price for a functioning 1855 with those implements, and that combination doesn't come up very often.

Massey driver suggested checking the mower's cogged pulleys for condition. I'll add checking the tiller tines for their condition. They are pricey and, if worn out, will set you back in the neighbourhood of $400. Judge your offer accordingly.

That tiller weighs about 320 lb and does take some weight off of the front wheels. A weight bracket is easily fabbed and there are 2 holes in each side of the front of the frame to mount it to. I made mine to accommodate a couple of 65 lb plates that I have. That nailed the front wheels down quite nicely. It will move the tractor around on you, but that is a heavy tractor (over 1000 lb) and it can deal with that quite well. I've tilled a half acre country back yard with 3' tall grass to full depth on the first pass with no problem with my 1655. I've also had the tiller jump right out of the ground when it hit a 6" rock and spit it out. No damage. It's one tough tiller with that slip clutch.

#12 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 10:14 PM

Before you puchase here is an item that can be very good diagnostic tool
Building and Using a Cylinder Leakdown Tester
the parts are very easy to aquire and can help determine the engine wear. In hindesite I wish had done one of these test on the tractor that I bought. The engine hour mtr said 413 hrs which I believed to be true from the other indicators on the tractor like paint, pedal wear on the foot controls, wear on the steering wheel and the wear on the attachments, tines on the tiller, wear points on the deck lift these are all good indicators of use and abuse. But the engine is hard one to tell just by looking at it. If previous owner did not watch for overheating lack of oil or oil changes... can not be seen from the outside. On my machine the flywheel side of the engine moves up and down atleast 60 thousands but ran like a top until the pressure in the crankcase got to great and started to blow oil into the air breath and it smoked like hell. It was like being in a war and they through a smoke bomb. Could not see a thing. lucky for me a freind had a very good engine to overhaul it with. I paid 1400.00 for tractor, tiller and 54inch mower with a pail of new parts. a little more than I wanted to pay but a very good machine in the end. My father had a deere tractor and a few relatives had other brands not as good. I don't think you can beat these machines. I know my son will enjoy using this one when he gets it and this machine was built in the late 1970s. I doubt very much you can say that about the machine you buy today!

Edited by ErnRemy, February 19, 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 05:55 AM

Travis,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
Tractor looks good.

#14 MNrivergardener OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8631
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hey Guys, thanks for the welcome. I can see there is a wealth of info from this board. Looks like a lot of guys were thinking along the same lines of it being on the high side price wise, But If it's a good machine once I view it in person I think I will still take it home. The main thing I like is that It's the package deal. tractor, 3pt, and tiller. and the deck as a bonus. Instead of buying parts and peicing it together, The location is reasonable, and the price is somehting I can afford. I have a routine to do at least a 5 city radius CL search for a GT/ 48in tiller set up within 100 miles if New Ulm, MN on a nightly basis and for as much GT's, parts, odd's and ends. it's few and far between I see the combo Im looking for. And now honestly after a few weeks and reasearch on these MF/ Snapper 1855's I dont think I care to get a different brand. They seem pretty well respected across the Garden tractor community. Again, thanks for the welcome. Look foward to hanging out here.

#15 Kurtee OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7561
  • 452 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi Travis. Are you in Goosetown? I am over in Nicollet. Glad to see ya on here. Did you get your MF (Mighty Fine)? Finding used equipment within striking distance is a challenge. I found my Honda with tiller in Viroqua, WI. It sure beats the walk behinds. (I have 2 Ariens rear tine) Just gotta have the room to get around. See ya around maybe.