• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Looks Good :thumbs:

Are you getting decals for it when it is done?
  • redcarkids said thank you

#17 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Do you have a connection to get a decal, I have no idea what it should look like and how to I reaply the metal model tag? It was over half off when I started, so I took it the rest of the way off to save it. Is ther more than 1 decal?

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:42 AM

You will probably have to get the metal tag custom made by sams Bolens, His wont be printed on metal but will be printed chrome.

Those tillers only used 2 decals.

#19 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 12:17 PM

I went to Sam bolens sight this morning and seen the one I need. Sent him a e-mail, also asked about the triangle husky decal for the hood. Do you know if the tiller had a warning label and where it was located on the unit? You said there were 2 decals. The word Bolens was right in the middle of the shield I believe. Just got back from town and got more canvas white for the tines. Good old Ace Hardware store carries it. Went to lowes to get some primer and valspar gloss red and guess what? No primer in stock and the gloss red they carry did not look anything like the cap of the one I had bought a couple years ago.

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 12:25 PM

The later models used the square caution decal, On all the older models I have seen they only had the ID plate and the rectangular Bolens decal.

#21 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 01:47 PM

Tines are painted, This had to be about the hardest thing i have ever painted. Just about every angle needed to cover every tine. I think half a can of paint is floating around my shop covering everything else. :angry:

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0218121301.jpg
  • downsized_0218121312.jpg

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Nice Job :thumbs:

#23 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Well she is all put back together. :laughingteeth: Not a professional restoration but one to make me happy since this unit is going to be put to use. After i hook her up to the mower i will take photos of her looking as "new" and post them. :dancingbanana: Going to let the paint cure for a while so i don't scrape much off moving it around. This thing is very heavy and by my self hard to manuver. :mecry: Thanks for the help Brian on paint color suggestions and the brochure photos. :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0219121334.jpg
  • downsized_0219121335b.jpg
  • downsized_0219121345.jpg
  • downsized_0219121400a.jpg
  • downsized_0219121400.jpg
  • tiller 003.JPG

#24 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 02:50 PM

Wow !

That turned out great :thumbs:

#25 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 06:36 PM

Here are a few better photos with a real camera not the cell phone. I realy like the color. I do have one more question. Is there anything out there i can spray on the tiller tines to harden the paint or protect it from coming off once i start using the tiller in the garden? Hate to see the paint all waer off real fast once it gets put to use and i sure this will happen. Whats your toughts? :confuse:
Found a place in texas called http://maplehunterde...lensdecals.aspx that carry bolens decals :laughingteeth: For $37.00 you can get most of the decals for the 900. I need the triangle for the front hood and could replace all the dash ones, and the word bolens is the same size as the one on the fender rear and on the tiller attachment. Has anyone bought from this vendor before? Sam Bolens wanted $72.00 for a set and would not break the sets up. Also you had to have a minumin order of $20.00 so purchasing the $11.00 attachment set was not available to me unless i bought something else :confuse: . Why lose a sale over a $9.00 difference? I might add the maple hunters set did not include the big hood decals. But i don't need them anyhow.

Attached Thumbnails

• 015 (2).JPG
  • 016 (2).JPG
  • 019.JPG
  • 024.JPG

#26 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Looks good.It is a shame you would have to order $20 before he would deal but i understand the not braking sets up.As for the attachment decals are you refuring to the one that says bolens and the othe that starts with be carfull? If so i have the oem ones sitting on the shelf.They may be a couple more dollars then the repos but you don't need to order a minum from us.

#27 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 07:11 PM

The only one I need for the tiller is the bolens one. Per Brian I have the older model tiller and it did not have the warning label on it. Whats your price for the decal for the tiller? Do you have the 900 set also?

#28 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Is there anything out there i can spray on the tiller tines to harden the paint or protect it from coming off once i start using the tiller in the garden? Hate to see the paint all waer off real fast once it gets put to use and i sure this will happen.

Nice job on the tiller ! :thumbs:

I don't know of anything that will make your paint last longer once the tiller is used. ....The abrasiveness of your soil will affect the longevity of the paint.

Powdercoat would be a lot tougher, and would probably hold up better, but at a much higher cost. .....When the white paint gets too ugly, you can clean & re-paint the tines if it bothers you.

Did you remember to check the lube in the tiller gearbox ???

#29 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Here's a recent thread on maple hunter decals : http://gardentractor...-hunter-decals/

As Bruce Posted above There's really not too much you can do to save the paint on the tines. I would recommend waiting about a month for the paint to fully cure before using the tiller.

#30 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 09:16 PM

I did fill the gearbox before starting the resto. thanks, I keep hearing about waiting 30 days for paint to cure. will it take longer in cold weather? have no plans to till within the next 30 days.