#46 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 11:07 PM

I think HF is awesome probably half of my tools in my shop came from there. I have had a few things tear up but for the money I am still way ahead. If it wasn't for the cheap prices I wouldn't have half of what I got. I have broke my fair share of name brand tools too. They just usually have a warranty so I can take them back and get another. But I would recommend HF to anyone.

#47 chris597 OFFLINE  

chris597

• Member No: 3097
  • 1 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 10:26 PM

Great for paint guns, so cheap it's cheaper to throw them away than clean them....

#48 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:16 PM

Understanding they aren't exceptional quality, I have used them a lot and don't have many problems with them. If I need better quality, I go get it.

Edited by KennyP, May 05, 2011 - 06:17 PM.
spelling

#49 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 08:21 AM

I think I know myself pretty well? So I play head games with myself. For the tools I use most, I buy better quality professional grade tools than my skills would warrant. They are valuable to me and I take care of them.
I learned a long time ago that if I bought cheap tools, I abused them and did not take care of them nearly as well.
I have no problem with buying tools that I use rarely from Harbor Freight. I don't work on big stuff much at all, so I find things like the Harbor Freight 3/4" drive socket sets to suit me very well. Besides I don't feel nearly as bad if I break one of those sockets, by putting a 6 ft cheater bar on the breaker arm than I would if it was a $25 socket.

#50 buck50bmg OFFLINE  

buck50bmg

• Member No: 5231
  • 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 05:43 AM

Got the hydraulic knockout kit, dies suck but ram is awesome, just as good as my greenlee

#51 Byron R OFFLINE  

Byron R

• Member No: 57
  • 57 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 01:54 PM

Sorry for dragging up a old thread..But i went yesterday and bought this tool from HF..with a coupon for $40... Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool w/ Variable Speed I had put this bathroom remodel off for a month or so because I hated to make a big mess..It's a 1970s ceramic tile shower unit..that needs a new tub ..I bought some Extra blades that didn't come with this tool..and ended up dropping $75...And used it today..and am impressed..removed the existing unit and all down to the studs..in less than 3hrs...with everything cut nice to recieve replacement..I can see this tool working in alot more app's..and a hell of alot more better than a sawzall..just thought i would give my oppinion..B,

#52 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 02:49 PM

Harbor Freight has a 3/4" impact gun I have been meaning to pick up. Great price on it and it had great reviews. There are a lot of times when I wish I had something bigger then the 1/2" impact gun I have now to loosen some of those pain in the rear bolts. I don't want to spend hundreds either on a tool that I might use once a week or less.

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 04:59 PM

Byron, thanks for the info on the Oscillating tool. Glad it worked out well, I might have to pick one of those up.
George, I feel the same way about HF tools. If it will only see occasional use, why put $ out. If it is a tool that sees lots of use, spend the money.

#54 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:37 PM

LOL a 3/4" impact??
Just get the earthquake 1/2" it has more than enough power. Tons more than the cheap $49.99 guns

#55 Byron R OFFLINE  

Byron R

• Member No: 57
  • 57 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 04:38 PM

Byron, thanks for the info on the Oscillating tool. Glad it worked out well, I might have to pick one of those up.
George, I feel the same way about HF tools. If it will only see occasional use, why put $ out. If it is a tool that sees lots of use, spend the money.

Yea.. if would of been useing my brain..I could of picked one of these up..http://www.harborfre...tool-68303.html.. but as i have never used one before.. I could of had a back-up ..for what i paid for the extra blades i bought...I'm going back for the sidewalk sale..at $17.99..and get the three blades and the sanding pad.. B,

#56 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

tjrsallis

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:18 PM

I used quite a few of their tools for years. Airtool wise the die grinders, cut off wheels etc., aren't bad. Lack power but work if your not trying to run 100mph. I don't like their air ratchets and impacts.

#57 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

tjrsallis

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Oh for those of you looking for reasonable priced hand tools that are very durable and American made. Check out Wright tool. Priced around Sears prices but your not going to break them easily.

#58 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 09:13 PM

I get HF stuff for disposable items, or little use things. I get their 4" angle grinders when they have them on sale - they usually last a year or so - I tend to be pretty rough on them, but get them for $20.00 so don't mind.

As far as sockets or wrenches - I use Snapon/Mac - I find that cheap tools tend to round off bolts or damage fasteners - and they don't last. I would rather pay more once to buy a tool I use a lot, than to buy 4-5 disposable ones.

I did buy a power drain snake from them - and it worked fine the 2-3 times I used it - still cheaper than calling a plumber to do it. If I WERE a plumber or had rental houses I had to do a lot, I would spring for a good ($$) machine. But for ocasional use, HF works for me!

I did buy a HF basic tool set - thats the one I loan out!

#59 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 07:49 AM

I've always bought the best quality tool I could afford and never regretted it. Any failure and I'll have the factory on the phone for help. This comes in part from working remote locations where tool failure is no option. Since then however I've bought some cheaper throw-aways and one is a HF air stapler that fires both 1/4" staples and brads to 1" that I occasionally use for home woodworking.-$20. The first one lasted me about 2 years with daily oiling and when the nose piece finally broke,I bought another one.-----(I didn't bother trying to call the factory)---The overall bottom line is that when we complain about lost jobs, and the poor economy, we only have to look in the mirror.

#60 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 03:08 AM

I agree with the Earthquake 1/2" impact. I have one, keep it lubed and it has always done what I ask of it. I have a complete set of HF 3/4" sockets and love them, in reading several posts here all the HF sockets are guaranteed for life too. I don't mind spending $ on specialty tools when I have to, but for the most part HF seems to have most of them covered...Sure I have a couple of Craftsman sets, some Snap on and some Blue Point and a few Kobalt tools. Most HF stuff pays for itself the first use so any additional uses thereafter are money in the bank....That said I bought my son the 301 piece mechanics tool set for his graduation from HS and that was 4 years ago, he still has most of the sockets...he is now 22 so some 'shrinkage' is due to age...the tools have been great...I purchased a set of 1/2" deep well impact sockets 5 years ago and they are still like new, whoever implies that they are junk I paid $<20 for the entire set have had them 5 years and they still look and perform like new. I've used them on ssupension, engines, and as punches on the press when needed...just because they are cheap does not make them JUNK. You couldn't buy one socket of snap on for what I paid for the entire set...and I'd say 5 years is a pretty good test...

I work at a UAW facility and most all the mechanics are now using the HF toolboxes if they convert to using HF stuff ...anyone can. Not saying anything negative about sanpon...bluepoint, kobalt etc...but $ for $ you can't go wrong in most instances with HF.