#1 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 01:02 PM

I've been asked several times and I see that seger111 has had inquiries about how we installed alternators to our tractors. I thought it would be interesting to hear how others have done it.

I use a mini 50 amp alternator the I purchase from DB Electrical at dbelectrical.com
Diameter - 4 inches
Length - 4.5 inches
Mounting holes center to center - 5-3/8 inches
Weight = 5.5 pounds

The cost at the time was around $70. It is a one wire alternator which means you just run one wire from the post on the alternator pictured below to the positive post of the battery and your good to go. The alternator is small and does a very good job of bringing the battery up to a full charge in short order. They also sell the slotted adjustment arms for very reasonable. I did have a question about mounting and they were very friendly and helpful.
I would probably not suggest this option on an engine under 12hp as it is going to take some power to run at full load. In my case the alternator was used to replace a small dynamo that came standard on my 16hp Kubota diesel. At high loads you can hear the engine pull slightly if your listening for it.
I did look at the online auctions sites to see if I could find a used alternator but nothing was available this size. This might be an option you may want to pursue further though.
If you have any other ideas myself along with others I'm sure would like to hear them.
$(KGrHqEOKi8E5fYbpcNPBOlvg(8PD!~~60_12.JPG
  • HowardsMF155 and chris m have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Chris, I added a Delco Remy 37 Amp GM style alternator to my 1988 Craftsman GT18 (Caterpillar). I used a 3 wire alternator and a custom pulley machined to bolt onto the outside of the stock drive pulley for the tractor. Then I wired the alternator as it should be. I actually bolted the alternator solid to the chassis and the footrest, works great, and offsets the electric winch for my lift very well. My alternator is running backwards, but what most people don't realize is that they work in both direction, only difference is the cooling the fins provide.
Caterpillarplowing2.jpg
CatAlt1.jpg
CatAlt2.jpg
catalt3.jpg
  • Alc and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 05:25 PM

These pics are all before I rewired the tractor and had a pulley machined for real, which is the one on the right in one of the pics. The left pulley was grinder modified because I had 2 days before a plow day LOL. Both work well, but I prefer the machined one.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, February 14, 2012 - 05:26 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 05:40 PM

This is just the kind of thing I was hoping would be added. The more options we have for people to choose from the better.
Good information. Thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 08:48 PM

I took some photos of the alternator installation on the tractor as seen here. This alternator is designed to run either direction. There is no cooling fan so placing it in the radiator air stream is a plus. As you can see it is small and takes little space.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0925.jpg
  • 100_0926.jpg
  • 100_0927.jpg

• HowardsMF155 and chris m have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've added alternators to a couple tractors. One to my customized Bush Hog JBI repowered with a twin cylinder TJD Wisconsin engine. The stator was shot & VERY expensive to replace. I used a mower deck pulley to drive the alternator. I drilled & tapped the cast double groove pulley, then drilled matching holes in the deck pulley, then bolted it to the tapped cast pulley.

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

The other tractor adapted to an alternator is my recent purchase, an Allis 620. To have the front PTO clutch continue to function normally, the alternator needed to be driven off the crankshaft itself, not the pto. So I machined a crankshaft extender

Posted Image

I machined a small pulley to go on the end of the crank extension. It fits tight onto the extension for a slip free fit. I forgot to take a pic of the pulley. I also built a heat shield for the alternator as the muffler being right above can melt the top of a battery.

Posted Image

It is a very tight fit, so the belt has to be just the right length to keep the alternator inside the front of the hood.

Posted Image

Here's the tensioner arm. The bottom alternator brackets are simply 2 short sections of angle iron welded to the chassis.

Posted Image
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#7 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 09:46 PM

My question would be how to start the k301 if I used an alternator in replacement of the generator?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 09:48 PM

My question would be how to start the k301 if I used an alternator in replacement of the generator?

In the case of a starter/generator, best to either rebuild or replace with same system. They have no ring gear on the flywheel, so to use a gear type starter, the flywheel would have to be replaced, as well as the flywheel shrouding. Plus a lot of rewiring.

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Does the K301 have the starter ring gear on the flywheel and the bump out for the starter ?, if not then the ring gear can be found, the starter bolt holes should already be drilled and tapped for a micanical starter,

Eh, thanks Daniel, i was a little shaky on the answer,

Edited by trowel, February 14, 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#10 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 10:12 PM

This is why I am always amazed about your posts Daniel. There never seems to be anything that you haven't rebuilt or built from scratch. Just wish we lived closer to you so that we could bring some of our projects to your shop.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 10:53 PM

Nice work Daniel. Especially keeping the alternator inside the hood. From my experience that took some real engineering on your part.

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 10:58 PM

If you don't mind me asking, why are you trying to eliminate the starter generator? Is yours bad? I personally prefer them to the starter, stator combination.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 01:04 AM

Daniel, that is awesome fab work. It is always difficult to add things under the hoods. I am jealous of both alternator installs because I couldn't fit the whole alternator under my hood lol.

#14 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 02:07 AM

Great work Daniel! Awesome idea.

#15 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Nice job Dan. mechanical stuff looks like it comes real easy to you,But i guess being a successful farmer you have to sometimes be your own mechanic, plumber,electrician, carpenter, vet etc.