#16 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 01:43 PM

Casey, Glad you and the rest of the family are ok! Get those smoke detectors in working order, Also would not hurt to get some Co alarms! Shawn

Edited by tractorgarden, February 14, 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 03:21 PM

Sorry to hear of the fire, Casey! I have to take apart a ceiling fan light and see what's up with it.

I just had to do that just last week Kenny. The ceiling fan light in our bedroom was more like a strobe. Kept the 3 piggly wiggly cfl's blasting on & off. Turned out a twist nut loose on the common.

Casey....glad you guys awoke when you did. We all know how fast things would have burned as soon as flame came alive!

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 05:33 PM

Ya, it was a very close call. As for the cause of the light falling, I do not know... the cats were upstairs to the best of my knowledge (they sleep on my bed). Besides, the location of the lanp would have been impossible for the cats to get to. We can only speculate on the how, just glad it didn't catch fire. These old houses can go up fast and where we live, the Fire Department would get here in time to tend the bonfire.... We have seen it too many times up the street... total loss...

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Close one Casey and good catch, glad your all right,

#20 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Glad you and your family are ok!!! I just put new smokes and a co up today!

#21 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Casey, Glad you and the rest of the family are ok! Get those smoke detectors in working order, Also would not hurt to get some Co alarms! Shawn

Said by several others up above too BUT PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure that in addition to at least two smoke alarms, one at least should be a 110v with battery back up, that you get one carbon monoxide detector. There are available combination smoke and co alarms. We dont want to lose you Casey. And that goes for everyone else too!
PLEASE

Glad you and your family are ok!!! I just put new smokes and a co up today!

Good man Chris, disregard above, :smilewink:

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 09:31 PM

To add to Greg's advice change those batteries out on a regular basis. The time change is a good reminder to change them out.

#23 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 10:59 AM

That's what wedo Bill ,change them at the time changes , the batteries are still good so I'll just mark them "used " with a marker and use them in radios and such ,Al

#24 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Another advocate here of a hard wired smoke detector, used in conjunction with battery powered ones its a very good setup, all to often i go into other peoples houses and either hear the detector low batt warning (will change it tomorrow?) or the detector is there, but open with no battery.. all too easy to do, i have done it myself, went to change the battery and got distracted and forgot all about it.
Fire takes seconds to get hold, its not going to wait on you to get out the house safely, advanced notice is a life saver and the best thing for that is WORKING smoke alarms, and of course a plan of action, escape route etc..
I dont mean to preach the obvious but its something i feel strongly about having lost 4 members of my family in a housefire, caused by faulty wiring, more often than not its the smoke that kills you, isnt it better to know its coming?
Check your batteries guys..
  • WH55 said thank you

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Sam, you make good points, and we had gotten lax on some of the batteries. It is too easy to get comfortable in your own environment, and that is the thing that hurts people. Unfortunately the hard wired alarms will not work unless the power is there, and in a 100 year old house, it's not there. So sticking with good batteries.

#26 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Most hard wired alarms will have battery backup incase of power failure, however there really is nothing wrong with battery powered ones, they are every bit as good.. i was just saying both would be ideal, anyway glad there was no harm done.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you