17 replies to this topic

#1 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 03:01 AM

This is the first time that I've signed in with the new format.

While perusing a variety of posts prior to signing in, I clicked on one of the embedded ads in a post. I had to close the screen and come back to the forum a second time because I couldn't back out of the ad.

I am not that familiar with computers and tend to avoid sites where this happens.

Is this how we treat guests? If so, I'm outta here!

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Sorry you had that happen to you.... It dosent sound like its a site problem though. I know sometimes when I click on ads from other various sites the same thing happens. I dont know what it is but sometimes the back button will not work and you have to close the tab and open a new one.

Please give the new site a chance. I know for some it seems like a major change, and it will take some time to get accustomed to .

You can check out some of the how to videos here :

http://gardentractor...ggestions-news/
  • TUDOR said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 08:35 AM

Well, I know on MTF its even worse, if your not signed in its every other post! This is how things get paid for, and allows for better search engine visibility.

#4 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Yeah before I got logged in there were those ads in the text. I was glad to see they weren't there after I logged in.

#5 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 08:44 PM

It's not the ads themselves, or their locations, that I object to. It's not being able to back out of them! I have, in the past, had to pull the plug on my tower since an ad even disabled the on/off switch thus rendering the computer useless until power was removed and restored.

I am not a big fan of computers in general, and the crop of electonic gadgets that have devolved from them in particular, for several reasons, and it only takes a minor thing like this to take me from a happy-go-lucky state to full blowned pi$$ed in 3 seconds flat.

The ad in question was a Bell Yellow Pages listing of music shops in New York.

I know and accept that ads are necessary to pay the bills, but if they are created in such a manner that the user loses control of his computer then they are poor advertising for the site which hosts them. This forum, and the ads that support it, should be user friendly, if the forum wants to grow.

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Now hold up there, please do not turn this into a big thing, there are GT Talk members who are working hard to sqash the bugs and set the fourm up for ease and conveinence, please relay any questions or idears to the moderators and addministrators instead of the open fourm, this is a clean fourm for people and kids of all ages, i understand the add problem and hate them myself, even on my google homepage there are requird adds for it to funtion, it suxs but i just ignore them.
I ask again, please keep this clean and relay any questions to the mod.s and adm.
Thanks
  • Bolens 1000, TUDOR, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 09:05 PM

It's not the ads themselves, or their locations, that I object to. It's not being able to back out of them! I have, in the past, had to pull the plug on my tower since an ad even disabled the on/off switch thus rendering the computer useless until power was removed and restored.

I am not a big fan of computers in general, and the crop of electonic gadgets that have devolved from them in particular, for several reasons, and it only takes a minor thing like this to take me from a happy-go-lucky state to full blowned pi$$ed in 3 seconds flat.

The ad in question was a Bell Yellow Pages listing of music shops in New York.

I know and accept that ads are necessary to pay the bills, but if they are created in such a manner that the user loses control of his computer then they are poor advertising for the site which hosts them. This forum, and the ads that support it, should be user friendly, if the forum wants to grow.

Tudor,
Was it one of the double underline ads that did this? If so I will take care of it because they are driving me nuts. At first it was only supposed to be maybe 5 of the double underline ads per page but it has gotten out of hand. Yes we do need to pay the bills but I also am not in it to make the site a displeasure at all.

We do have a couple of extra banner ads that show to guests. The extra ones is: there is one in the top right sidebar of the forum index page, and there is one after the first post of a thread and there is one after the first thread in a threadlisting page. These are google ads and I don't think they would be the ones causing any issues.

Let me know if it is the double underline ads and if it is I will remove them and switch back to the other ad company that seemed more straight up.
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, caseguy and 4 others have said thanks

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 09:14 PM

I took the double underline ads away so if you can log out and tell me if that is what it was then I will keep them off.
  • TUDOR said thank you

#9 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 02:45 PM

I took the double underline ads away so if you can log out and tell me if that is what it was then I will keep them off.

NUTNDUN,
Thank you! Yes, it was one of the double underline ads buried in the text of a post. I just logged off and checked and they're all gone.

I apologize for blowing a gasket on this issue, but in my estimation, you have worked too hard to create a great forum for those who own tractors to have it disrupted in such a manner as to lose potential members before they even sign on. If I had not already been a member when I accessed this sight after "the change", I would not have signed up, just because of that one ad and the concern that it would happen on a regular basis.

As has been mentioned, I chose the wrong venue to show my displeasure and concern, and for that I also apologize. I realised that one immediately after my initial post, but it was too late to correct that error and I didn't think to delete it. Regretably, we all have topics where our thoughts and actions are driven by emotion instead of sound reason and logic. This is one of those topics for me and I react instantly rather than take the time to think and act in the proper manner. Time and thought do settle me down......... then I can discuss the matter in a reasonable manner. Much as someone who reacts with a fist when he is unexpectly tapped on the shoulder from behind, the damage is done immediately, and the explanations are too late.

Thank you for your courtesy and your conscientious efforts to make this a friendly site to visit. You are doing a great job and I do appreciate all the effort that you have expended in its creation.

Please move, or remove, this thread at your discretion.

Edited by TUDOR, February 16, 2012 - 02:47 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 03:06 PM

I can see you did not mean to be malicious, figured you would be back in a few days, the mods and adm. on this site are at most the best when it comes to sound judgment and reasoning, we all have ''those'' day, let's not dwell on the past but move forwards,
My name is Jesse, im known as Trowel and im a 5' 7'' hard ass S.O.B. that will step in carfully when it's needed as seen in my above posting, i also have bad days so it is all normal, if anyone is malicious to you in any way please contact the right people and you will be help.
Thank you, and i will see you on the fourm.

P.S. i don't take anything personal, don't worry about it :thumbs:

Jesse
  • olcowhand, TUDOR, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 03:33 PM

Bob, thanks for the deeper explanation. For a while there I wasn't sure exactly what to make of it all, but now I understand. I am glad you're staying on & I appreciate your knowledge, especially about hydrostatics. George works very hard at all this, and he does his utmost to keep everyone happy with GTT. It's great that he was able to delete the troubling ads.
  • TUDOR said thank you

#12 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 03:55 PM

I am glad to see you back too Bob. I know you have been a valuable contributor to many other sites besides this one, but I think as said above your valuable knowledge is very welcome here. We all have things happen once in awhile that make us jump before we think thats where that hindsight kicks in. Glad George was able to get rid of the ads as you made a very valid point about the ads chasing people away before they join.
Looking forward to your frequent posts,
  • TUDOR said thank you

#13 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 04:07 PM

I used to get that on the old forum if i wasnt logged in, clicking the back button 3 times in quick succession worked for me.
  • TUDOR said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 06:00 PM

My kids will get one of those double liners once in a while somewhere on a gaming forum. With Chrome, I triple click the back button.
  • TUDOR said thank you

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 06:34 PM

I find a lot of things nowadays require double and even triple clicking the back button on the browser to get back to where you were. It is some programming crap that loads the page and before it starts to load it is automatically reloaded again in order to keep you there longer when you can't get out. Annoying as crap...

Glad to hear you are staying.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, February 16, 2012 - 06:34 PM.

• TUDOR said thank you