• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CdnSnowWhite OFFLINE  

CdnSnowWhite

• Member No: 7289
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 09:15 PM

I am told that the machine is a LX172 with a hydro but my research shows that the LX172 came as a 5 speed manual and that the LX176 is the hydro?

Now . . .with that being said . . .

suffering transmission problems and looking for advise/information regarding what other units would have a comparitible tranny that I could use?

MTD produced?
Sears?

I am at a loss.

Thanks for the help!

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Welcome to the forum! I cant help with your question just wanted to welcome you. I see your located in canada, make sure to put yourself on the member map! http://gardentractor...member-map.html

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Snow White! From a little digging I did, it seems that the LX176 was equipped with a Tuff Torq K61C or K61K transaxle. Parts are available through the Tuff Torq website Here However, from the looks of the prices for parts, you might be better off to either find a local shop that could service it for you or possibly find another tractor with a good used transaxle to drop in. You could try Bob's Lawn and garden, he's one of our site sponsors and has a lot of used but good John Deere parts available. You can find him Here. In the meantime, we hope that you enjoy the forum. Thanks for signing up!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 06:11 AM

Welcome to the forum. Those are a stronger transmission then the basic ones fitted to most LT's. I'm not sure if the 61 has an oil drain plug and a filter but if it does I would start by checking the fluid level/condition and going from there. It may be worth changing fluid/filters before writing off the transmission unless this has already been tried. The other thing to check is the axle key. The axle key can shear off causing the axle to turn on the hub when any significant load is put on it. This will look like transmission failure. It's worth checking out also. Good luck with it.

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 06:58 AM

I'm relatively sure the those transmissions were serviceable. Other John Deeres that used that tranny include the LX186, LX178 and LX188.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#6 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Be EXTREMELY CAREFULL with anything plastic on those mowers. I have both an Lx172, % 176. I consider them good light duty machines. The Kaw engines are reliable with ordinary maintenence. However, the strength of the plastic components is seriously below the strength of any hinges, latches or other connectors, and the plastic will shatter. The replacement prices are also shattering.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 11:18 AM

I remember back in 2005 when I bought my x475 I was considering a gx345 also. I noticed then that the type of plastic used was different in the more expensive tractors. Whatever they were using in those LX tractors, which weren't cheap, seems to have become a problem area. Too bad they can't price the new parts more reasonably.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#8 CdnSnowWhite OFFLINE  

CdnSnowWhite

• Member No: 7289
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thank you for all your assistance and information . . . you have been a GREAT help!

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 11:23 AM

No problem. Let us know how you're doing with it. The LX series was the strongest LT that Deere made and should make a very good mower.

#10 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 12:32 PM

I would go along with JDBrian's suggestion of at least changing the transaxle fluid for that has seemed to cure a lot of problems in the past for others.I am not sure if your transaxle has the filter or not.

Dick