#17 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Nice Model B. :thumbs: Thanks for letting us look.

#18 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 07:27 PM

Nice tiller. Id like to have one like it. Ive got a airens rear tine tiller from teh 80s my father lets me use. Its a beast of a machine. a 50 year old equivilant would be awesome.

#19 walking_tractor OFFLINE  

walking_tractor
  • Member No: 10087
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 04:39 PM

I too have an Ariens B, though mine is a bit of a basket case. It was used by a former coworker's father for many years for a small truck garden, not too far from Brillion. Then the tine shaft broke and it was parked out under the stars. While parked, the engine seized and the tiller unit was misplaced.

So far, I've rebuilt the carb (that seemed the most fiddly to do, so a leading indicator of how the rest of it might go). I've found Evap-O-Rust works very well for de-rusting bits with mixed materials (brass and babbitt besides the iron) that I don't want to dump in the electrolysis bath because I don't know what will rot away first!

Once the engine is loosened up, I'll need to make/find a new insulative disk for the magneto drive (not sure what the official name is, but it looks like the middle of an Oldham coupling).

I'd like also to make up a new tiller unit, or better even for my purposes, a spader along the lines of a Gramegna.

Is there a chance that you could post any pictures of how the tiller clutch is set up and how the tine unit mounts? I'd be very appreciative if you could.

Thanks for the shots of a Model B working. It's an inspiration to persist in reviving mine.

Having moved it around a few times without benefit of it being under power, I can attest that these are beasts!

Has anyone ever seen any of the other implements which could be had with these? I've heard there were options of plows, push blades, sickle mowers and the like, perhaps like an early Pasquali tiller.

Anyone have access to any documentation (other than the Wisconsin engine manuals, which I have)? The fellow at the museum in Brillion has restored theirs, but had no documentation available to share. In fact Ariens has almost forgotten about these, it seems.

Thanks again for the great pictures.

WT

#20 Modelb WI OFFLINE  

Modelb WI
  • Member No: 52879
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 11:31 AM

I also have an ariens model b. Picked it up for 40 bucks from a guy who had it sitting in his barn for 20 years. I'm going to take it apart and get it running soon but I do not have a crank for it.
Does anyone know where I can find a crank?
Or something I can use in place of the original crank to get it started?

#21 walking_tractor OFFLINE  

walking_tractor
  • Member No: 10087
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 03:32 PM

Modelb WI -

I should be able to take a couple of photos and measure up the crank that's with mine.  At least you'd know what the "official" version looks like, and it would be easier to cobble up a replacement.

It might be a few days since I'm in the middle of replacing head gaskets on my daily driver.  It's cold in the shop, right now, so everything goes slower (including my brain!).  Why don't head gasket fail in nice weather, say early September, when it's Goldilocks temperature?

My Model B still isn't running.  Somehow, more urgent projects have weasled their way to the front of the line...  But it's still in line.

WT

• Modelb WI said thank you