#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 02:43 PM

I was looking at all of my videos posted here and forgot to post this here for you guys to see, out of all the engines that could of been used this one is by far the best for what i needed, is already set up by the factory as a stationary engine, below zero temp ? no problem !, it will start,.... will finish the frame with handles lator on.
Did a 3600 rpm run and the prefered 2500 rpm run, Enjoy,..

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Runs pretty smooth. Do you have any sort of regulator in the alternator or is it just running open loop. hat would still charge pretty fast at the lower speed.
  • trowel said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Great charger. I might build something like that one of these days.
  • trowel said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 04:41 PM

Deco Remy Alternator, Chevy used them in their cars and trucks, has the built in voltage regulator, if i wanted to i can intergrate a small 9 volt battery to excite the windings and run floodlights or re-wire it hot to make 120 volts constent.
The pulley is the front end of a worn out Chevy 350 Cu. inch crankshaft, i cut it right at no. 1 counterweight which is why there is a little hole at the end which was for oil lubrication to the rod caps, bored one inch with 3/4 inch crankshaft sleeve with keyway broached, inserted and welded in, i still need to balance the pulley and may end up re-fab'in the alternator bracket, even with the idler pulley it hops when under a heavy load due to the alternator tention spring i made from a hay rake spring tooth, will go back to double belt or a flat belt if one can be found that small and do away with the idler pulley, the rubber engine mounts will be custom made and will sit on custon made aluminum mounts bolted to the frame but need to fix the hop first, can't have it hoppin' around in the back of my truck, lol, found pipes at the Williamsburg dump a few weeks ago that can be used for handles and a place to wrap the cable leads around.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 05:02 PM

That's a nice, handy, little tool to have on hand. I have a friend who made one out of a Tecumseh 5 HP. It's his version of a "jumper pack" LOL. Just out of curiosity, what model Clinton is that?
  • trowel said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 05:13 PM

Sounds like you have a plan. It will be a handy beast to have around.
  • trowel said thank you

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 05:16 PM

Runs pretty smooth. Do you have any sort of regulator in the alternator or is it just running open loop. hat would still charge pretty fast at the lower speed.

A battery almost compleatly dead (i drained it for the video) as shown in the video takes 10 to 15 min. to fully charge depending on the size of the battery and if it is a deep cycle, the faster the alternator spins the quicker it charges but im happier with the engine spinning at 2500 rpm and the alternator spining at around 3000 rpm, with the 7 inch pulley and the engine at 1800 rpm it could not jump a car or tractor battery, would stall out, hence the 4 inch pully instead, i figured i would retain the 2 3/4 inch pulley at the end for running other things.
Engine runs smooth !, it was so stuck i had to beat the piston out of the block with a 2 x 2 block of wood, valves were compleatly stuck and had to be removed with a custom made tool, could not find a head gasket so i made my own, chucked the flywheel in the lathe and balanced it, crank, cam, gov. was fine just needed cleaning, rings freeded up, block bore dry honed and the deck reamed, valves cleaned, re-gound, lapped and seated to the block, head was decked with a fly cutter, fuel tank was fine inside and did not need sealing, everything sanded and painted satin hunter green, this was around 8 years ago, mabey more.
I can start it, walk away and come back 2 hours lator and it will still be in the same spot i left it, very smooth running, just needs new piston rings which i found.

7 inch pulley made from a harmonic balancer from a 1947-48 Dodge flat head 6 cylinder engine, very smooth running,...

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 05:30 PM

Model no. B-1102, Serial no. B0026204, block casted in june of 1949, more then likely assembled in 1950 after iron set up time, aluminum head, cast iron oil sump with the extended engine mount tabs, Tillotson ML-1B carb original to the engine along with the up-draft wet air cleaner, 1 gallon fuel tank, was never set up to be throttle governed, set to run at 2500 rpm for god know how many years, everything you see is original to the engine but the fuel bowl, fuel line, plug wire and spark plug.
  • caseguy said thank you

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 05:56 PM

PICT0825.JPG Nice Clinton engine!! I have a D-1100 that I will be restoring after the Tractor I am working on. I love the old Clintons!
  • trowel said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Ah man, that is a sweeeeettt looking, still has some of the paint, a lot of the parts from the model D and model B will interchange, i see it has the Carter model U carb.
nice of you to sneak in the Briggs 5S into the pic. :smilewink: do they run yet ?
  • chris m said thank you

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 04:42 PM

That's a neat little Battery charger.

#12 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Sounds like my kind of project, had a need, fulfilled it by using this that and the other thing you had laying around, and IT WORKS :thumbs:

Great idea for the back woods 12 volt needs, even better if it was 110v AC. Thanks for sharing!
  • trowel said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 06:18 PM

works great for jumping cars and trucks too, i could add a small battrey and inverter or a control panel with a voltage, ampmeter control but then i will be making a generator which means more weight and a larger frame to hold everything, just a simple straight forwards jumper run by a half speed engine was the goal.
  • chris m said thank you

#14 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Ah man, that is a sweeeeettt looking, still has some of the paint, a lot of the parts from the model D and model B will interchange, i see it has the Carter model U carb.
nice of you to sneak in the Briggs 5S into the pic. :smilewink: do they run yet ?

I had just bought these on Ebay, I haven't even started on them yet. soon though, I have been stocking up on parts for both.