Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Speedex S17 questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 08:17 AM

I recently aquired a Speedex S17 tractor in complete, original running condition. Tractor is a 1968. I have a few questions regarding this tractor.

1. The front grill is missing. I assume expanded metal is what to use to replace it? Anyone have a close up picture of this grill so I can fabricate it correctly? An inside the hood shot would be great.

2. What shades of red and gold are a good match? I am only set up to use spray cans so please keep that in mind.

3. Does anyone have some good close up pictures of how the choke cable is attached? mine came without one and I can't see any good way to attach it unless I am missing a piece.

4. Anyone know where I can get an operators manual for this tractor?

5. My tractor has an unusual feature. The decal on the belt guard is quite large. Every source I go to for decals offer a 6" long decal for the belt guard. My decal is 15" long. I'll post a picture of it later. Anyone ever come across a decal like that? Anyone know who might sell one?

I am new here and have various other brands of tractors but, at the moment, it's this Speedex that I want to concentrate on. I would like to get it done before show season. Thanks.

DB

Edited by David Brown, February 09, 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 09:09 AM

:welcome: DB! I can't help on your questions, but wanted to say Howdy!

#3 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 01:17 PM

David... the site is very archaic and not a real active forum, but the guys do answer your questions Speedex Tractor Information

I joined as a member but it is not a current site, I mean the last show they talk about is 5 years ago...I am not real pleased with the site but they do have the information you're after...Good Luck

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the link. I have been on this site recently and found nothing that I needed in the way of a manual. The manual they offer is for a tractor that is newer than mine. I was not, however, aware that you could join and that they had a forum. I will have to look into that. Thanks.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 01:47 PM

I don't have anything on your questions, just wanted to say, welcome to the forums!

#6 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the link. I have been on this site recently and found nothing that I needed in the way of a manual. The manual they offer is for a tractor that is newer than mine. I was not, however, aware that you could join and that they had a forum. I will have to look into that. Thanks.

David,
the forum isn't like this one...FYI it is an ask a question forum and 'someone' will eventually answer it...this one is FAR SUPERIOR...by the way can you post a photo of your S17, Speedex made many variants I believe my S17 is from the early 60's and we would have many differences between the two. so by posting a few photos it will put us in the same ballpark, I have a few S series tractors from the mid-late 60's as well so when I see yours I will know which tractor to take a look at for your cable mount...

Once again Good Luck and welcome to GTTalk...as you've probably already figured out ...this is the place to be!

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 06:57 PM

I'll try to get some pictures of it over the weekend. It's supposed to be pretty cold so that may have to happen later. It's a 1968 if that helps.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Here's a picture of the decal that I spoke of. I think you can appreciate the size from this shot.

GEDC0087.jpg

#9 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 08:21 PM

David, that pic was taken yesterday...just send some of those... this link...Speedex Tractor

shows your decal is $6.50...

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Mike already got back to me and answered all the questions I had. You were right, not a busy site but they do know their stuff and they help. The decal is over $25 because of the size. The standard 6" one is $6.50 I believe. It's all good. He's sending me some pics that I need and then I'll get some decals from him. Thanks for the help.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 10, 2012 - 05:15 AM

David Brown,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 03:00 PM

One more question regarding this tractor. I need to make a front grill. I know that expanded metal is probably the way to go. Everything I am finding locally so far has openings that are too big to look right. I believe the opening is 1/2". I think I need 1/4". Has anyone else made a grill and what did you use if you did?