Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody Else Collect Matchbox Or Hot Wheels Cars?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 12:37 PM

That is a fantastic collection. I had a small collection of matchbox cars mostly. I preferred matchbox because they were usually traditional looking vehicles. Hot Wheels were a little fantastic in my opinion. To each his own I guess. I liked the older matchboxes, when they came in a box. My favorite was a light blue unimog truck.

When my children started to take interest in things like matchboxes, I decided to let them use my collection. As you may guess, they mostly vanished. Now I collect different things.

I still like looking at vintage matchbox cars.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#17 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Troy thats a great way to spend time with the kids :thumbs: , you have quite the collection between all of you, any 71 Chevy Chevelles :smile1:

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 11:11 PM

That is quite the collection some of ya have. I used to have matchbox cars all the time but it never dawned on me to collect them until after the fact. I will be happy if I can get one of the kids to want to collect GT's and I think my little girl will as she shows quite the interest in them.

#19 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'll look Greg, I'm pretty sure I do. Hard top or Convertible?

I know I have the light blue Unimog truck as well. I'll get pictures up as soon as I find them!

Edited by johndeereelfman, February 22, 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#20 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Mine was a hardtop SS.

#21 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hello, Troy,
That's a great family collection and it's very cool that the youngsters are so interested too!
I had a pretty extensive collection of Matchbox from the 60's and Hot Wheels from the beginning but we got wiped out in a flood in 1972 and lost it all---everything but a truck and our lives. I never did pursue the little diecasts again very seriously, Altho there are some scattered around in my office.

I was into HO scale slot cars as a kid also and have managed to find a few originals and I built many custom ones for racing in later years. I got out of the racing a few years ago but still dig those little electric cars. The last pic is the only car I have left from when I was a kid. It was at a friends house when that flood hit.

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Original 60-70s slots 001.jpg
  • Original 60-70s slots 003.jpg
  • 100_0388.jpg
  • 100_0389.jpg
  • Original 60-70s slots 002.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, February 21, 2012 - 11:21 PM.

• johndeereelfman and dangeroustoys56 have said thanks

#22 dangeroustoys56 OFFLINE  

dangeroustoys56

• Member No: 8507
  • 18 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 05:13 AM

Nice cars - i wish i had all my AFX cars still - most probably went to the dump - i think some were stolen also . I had a couple large tracks setup, even had a couple ones with AFX dump trucks- i cringe to think how much those would be worth....
  • MFDAC said thank you

#23 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 10:43 AM

DAC,good looking stuff.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#24 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 11:28 AM

Nice collection DAC! I had a couple of slot car tracks back when I was a kid too, but that all got sold at various yard sales as I grew older. Kick myself for ever getting rid of them, as I really enjoyed them. I started collecting tractor farm toys, and never really got the slot car tracks out anymore, so I sold what I had. I had a lot of HO scale trains too, but they ended up going the same way as the slot cars and tracks - yard sales! There was a lot of different things I used to collect, but never had enough room to store it all, so some things had to go.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#25 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Nice cars - i wish i had all my AFX cars still - most probably went to the dump - i think some were stolen also . I had a couple large tracks setup, even had a couple ones with AFX dump trucks- i cringe to think how much those would be worth....

Went to the dump! That's a shame but it seems many of these old tracks and cars met that fate to be gone forever. There are some companies making reproduction Thunderjet ans AFX stuff nowadays and they are doing a great job of it, at fairly reasonable prices even.

DAC,good looking stuff.

I appreciate it, Man!

Nice collection DAC! I had a couple of slot car tracks back when I was a kid too, but that all got sold at various yard sales as I grew older. Kick myself for ever getting rid of them, as I really enjoyed them. I started collecting tractor farm toys, and never really got the slot car tracks out anymore, so I sold what I had. I had a lot of HO scale trains too, but they ended up going the same way as the slot cars and tracks - yard sales! There was a lot of different things I used to collect, but never had enough room to store it all, so some things had to go.

I have had several tracks through the years and plan on building a 4 lane 4x8 again one of these days inside a roll-around table in my shop that originally held one until my brother in law and I built a 5-1/2' x 10' AFX six lane in 1999 or 2000. I sold that track in '06 to make more room in my shop and more time for my projects. As far as collecting things in general I probably could be considered a hoarder to a certain extent, as I have antique bottles, insulators, race car and truck parts, signs, 1/24th diecasts, racing memorabilia, you name it stuck all over the walls in my shop and a little in the house too! I just can't seem to part with stuff.

Here's a couple more pics then I will return you to your original subject!

1- 6 lane track I sold in '06
2- new production 1974 GMC Astro on repro AFX Magnetraction chassis
3- fleet of those I lettered for a race a friend was hosting

Attached Thumbnails

• 2nd annual invitational.jpg
  • 74 GMC Astro HO 001.jpg
  • 108_0340.jpg

• johndeereelfman and dangeroustoys56 have said thanks

#26 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Real nice DAC. I used to have one of those tractor trailer trucks, and hated it, because it never stayed on the track. Mostly ran just the truck.

I really thought Don (truck21) would have been on here by now, showing us his major collection of slot cars. He has quite a lot, and I was hoping he'd share some photos of his layouts. I guess I'll have to give him a call, and see if I can get him motivated to join us.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#27 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Various Shots 006.JPG Various Shots 007.JPG

These two photos are for you daytime dave. Bring back memories? Sorry it took so long to find it.

Various Shots 009.JPG Various Shots 010.JPG Various Shots 011.JPG Various Shots 012.JPG Various Shots 014.JPG

And these five photos are for you Greg. There are actually '70 Super Sport Chevelles, but I hope they'll do, and bring back memories for you as well.

Enjoy guys!

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 12, 2013 - 09:53 PM.

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#28 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Not the same as collecting matchbox cars, but my kids and I have enjoyed some of the same things. My parents used to give me Ertl tractors when I was young, and the tractor with front loader survived both my childhood and thus far my kids as well. I bought several Ertl Massey tractors years ago (before I knew about the marvelous Massey lawn tractors) and each of my male children have insisted on dragging them down from where I display them and playing with them.
I also enclosed some space in our attic (when the kids were younger and I had more time) and built an HO railroad up there. I have quite a number of locos as do my two older boys.
I also kept up with a large box of Legos and a Lego motor from my youth. Both older boys have enjoyed them, and naturally have added quite a bit to that collection. Here is some video of their most recent additions:

#29 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Nice Howard. Those will be some memories to cherish. Thanks for sharing!

#30 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 10:26 PM

:thumbs: Hey! Cool! Thanks! You are the Man Troy :thumbs:
The '71s had single headlights, but other than that pretty close. Mine was a real light tan when I got it, had it painted about the same blue as that 4th one you showed. :dancingbanana:

Edited by Michiganmobileman, February 24, 2012 - 10:40 PM.